• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Hampshire non-resident renewal (New York City resident) need help.

Hi All,

Had a suggestion from another board that someone on this board maybe able to help me out. I am a New York City resident who had a premise permit and had gotten a nonresident New Hampshire license. Prior to my New Hampshire nonresident renewal my New York City premise permit was non-renewed, basically for administrative reasons. ( seriously)

My concern lies in the New Hampshire renewal application, asks if any license had been denied, or non-renewed I don’t want to lie on the other hand I am still going through the process of trying to over come the non-renewal in New York City. Which, as you probably know, may take years. I also don’t want to be misleading.

Has anybody had any experience with New Hampshire renewal, and having to answer the applications question about other states licenses and if so, what would be your suggestion?

Appreciate any help or knowledge you can provide

Thank you

I had my CT permit revoked and reinstated some eight years later. After reinstatement I applied for and currently possess four non-resident permits including New Hampshire.

It’s been a bit since I renewed the NH one; I don’t remember the specific questions. I git advice from the atty who handles our legal matters when I originally applied. He advised me to not lie on the form. If i was concerned about an answer then explain it.

I have vague recollection that I answered that my permit had been revoked - but subsequently re-issued.

No experience, but these are the questions on the non res form. If your "non renewal" was actually a denial, then answer question one appropriately. Explain and include supporting documentation if it supports your case. IANAL

Capture.JPG

People get non res permits to play the reciprocity game elsewhere.

For people traveling through NH, there is essentially no practical benefit for having one.

Posession of NH non-resident permit gives you FOPA up through New England.

For example, I have a resident GA permit and a NH non-resident permit, (along with a couple others). I still have a number of states where I'm not permitted to legally carry a firearm. However, I can legally transport from GA up to and including NH because I'm legal in origin and destination...

1689253167229.png

Posession of NH non-resident permit gives you FOPA up through New England.

For example, I have a resident GA permit and a NH non-resident permit, (along with a couple others). I still have a number of states where I'm not permitted to legally carry a firearm. However, I can legally transport from GA up to and including NH because I'm legal in origin and destination...

View attachment 774054
wouldn't you be legal in NH, also ME, and VT without a permit? so thereby protected by FOPA

wouldn't you be legal in NH, also ME, and VT without a permit? so thereby protected by FOPA
I have to be honest with you, I don't know if Constitutional Carry would protect me under FOPA. I do know that if I'm talking to a cop in Maryland for example, my GA permit and NH permit unequivocably prove my FOPA defense if I state that I'm on my way to NH.

When I lived in MA I got my NH non-res after being denied in MA as unsuitable. I fully disclosed this on bith my Utah and NH non-res application and got both, no problem. Neither of these states have a home state license requirement, and they don't give an F what MA says. NH will look at why you were denied but if it isn't a legit reason in NH they won't care.

I have to be honest with you, I don't know if Constitutional Carry would protect me under FOPA. I do know that if I'm talking to a cop in Maryland for example, my GA permit and NH permit unequivocably prove my FOPA defense if I state that I'm on my way to NH.
If you're talking to a cop in MD the permits won't mean a thing, same goes for CT, MA, NJ and NY. Does the never ever talk to police video need to be posted again?

If you're talking to a cop in MD the permits won't mean a thing, same goes for CT, MA, NJ and NY. Does the never ever talk to police video need to be posted again?
Eight years of living in GA, summering in CT, traveling with multiple firearms and copious quantities of ammo to shoot in CT, RI, MA, VT & NH - I’m good with my choices.

Your choices may be different- I’m okay with that. My life, my choices - I’m the one who has to live with the consequences.

Never lie. That will mess you up, far more than being honest, and providing a reasonable explanation. On the other hand, don't volunteer anything you don't have to either.

People get non res permits to play the reciprocity game elsewhere.

For people traveling through NH, there is essentially no practical benefit for having one.
Correct.. however in NC since we are slowly getting there repealing some arcane gun laws. A valid out of state gun permit is valid in NC for concealed. Due to Massachusetts being asshats.. I don’t think my permit was valid when I renounced my MA citizenship by getting an NC a drivers license. Alas there is a solution. My NH CCW permit which doesn’t require live shooting or finger prints. Just not be a felon and a basic background check at both state and federal. This NH permit allowed me to legally carried concealed in NC until the shitty sheriff who is a democrat communist got to my permit in a year during COVID

I don’t think my permit was valid when I renounced my MA citizenship by getting an NC a drivers license.
Humor Boomer GIF

This has been discussed countless times. If you inform the FRB of your move, they update your address and it continues to show as active until it expires.

Correct.. however in NC since we are slowly getting there repealing some arcane gun laws. A valid out of state gun permit is valid in NC for concealed. Due to Massachusetts being asshats.. I don’t think my permit was valid when I renounced my MA citizenship by getting an NC a drivers license. Alas there is a solution. My NH CCW permit which doesn’t require live shooting or finger prints. Just not be a felon and a basic background check at both state and federal. This NH permit allowed me to legally carried concealed in NC until the shitty sheriff who is a democrat communist got to my permit in a year during COVID

Yeah, NH and NC have had reciprocity for ages. I carried on it forever down there until I decided to get a Harnett County CHP the last time I was stationed there.

Hi All,

Had a suggestion from another board that someone on this board maybe able to help me out. I am a New York City resident who had a premise permit and had gotten a nonresident New Hampshire license. Prior to my New Hampshire nonresident renewal my New York City premise permit was non-renewed, basically for administrative reasons. ( seriously)

My concern lies in the New Hampshire renewal application, asks if any license had been denied, or non-renewed I don’t want to lie on the other hand I am still going through the process of trying to over come the non-renewal in New York City. Which, as you probably know, may take years. I also don’t want to be misleading.

Has anybody had any experience with New Hampshire renewal, and having to answer the applications question about other states licenses and if so, what would be your suggestion?

Appreciate any help or knowledge you can provide

Thank you
No.

NH can only legally deny you if you are prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm.

Permit denials (unless denied die to bring criminallu disqualified) aren’t relevant. It’s never been an issue for me in NH, RI, MA, or MD.

There are examples of states that do not reciprocate with other states' non resident ltc's,.. I'm too lazy to look them up.
Florida does not recognize a NH Non Resident permit, but now that FL is Constitutional Carry as of 7/1/23 it doesn't matter anymore

No.

NH can only legally deny you if you are prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm.

Permit denials (unless denied die to bring criminallu disqualified) aren’t relevant. It’s never been an issue for me in NH, RI, MA, or MD.
I had some Cop deny my first application for a P&RL in Nashua because of an Arrest in Maryland in '87.
This was not a conviction. Charges were dropped by the Grand Jury 30 days later. Now I have to answer
yes to the denial question and give an explaination. I didn't know how to do an appeal at that time.
But I do have my P&RL now for reciprocity reasons.

Malodave

I had some Cop deny my first application for a P&RL in Nashua because of an Arrest in Maryland in '87.
This was not a conviction. Charges were dropped by the Grand Jury 30 days later. Now I have to answer
yes to the denial question and give an explaination. I didn't know how to do an appeal at that time.

Malodave
When I got my NH non-res, back before I moved here, after a suitability deny in MA, I just put down that I was denied for suitability based on a one time only arrest, charges dismissed. Just the one line, didn't go any further, no issues. NH follows the law, no BS.

Malodave
Very few states ask if you’ve ever been denied.

It’s not an issue. I’ve had a couple of denials in my lifetime for ”May-issue” reasons. No one cares.

Yes. No permission slip needed. Carry on and carry. 😁
Yes, but there are legitimate reasons why someone may still want to get a permit. Reciprocity is one, some states honor NH permits, even non-resident ones.

RI also has a weird law I think where you’re supposed to apply for a carry permit in your local town, but if you have a carry permit from another state you can apply for a carry permit in any town you choose.

Dat true. I’m still giddy with freedom after moving from Massatwosheets 18 years ago. SBR’s, sawed off shotguns, silencers! The freedom never gets old! Muhahaha! [devil]

Pardon me, I tend to get carried away. [laugh]

Dat true. I’m still giddy with freedom after moving from Massatwosheets 18 years ago. SBR’s, sawed off shotguns, silencers! The freedom never gets old! Muhahaha! [devil]

Pardon me, I tend to get carried away. [laugh]
To be fair, you can still have SBRs in MA. They just have to be neutered.

Back
Top Bottom