NH non resident permit?

I just received my non-res license and wanted to know what places are restricted. Specifically if places that serve alcohol are off limits.
thanks

I just received my non-res license and wanted to know what places are restricted. Specifically if places that serve alcohol are off limits.
thanks

Stimpy, two of the NH pro-gun orgs put this in their FAQs:

http://pgnh.org/gunlawfaqs said:
A: By state law (RSA 159:19), the only place you can’t have a gun is a courthouse or courtroom. By federal law, there are two places where you can’t carry, but these federal laws are controversial; still, I advise people not to be the “test case” in federal court, because (a) if you lose in court, then you’re going to federal prison, and (b) if you win in court, Congress may well rewrite the law to be more restrictive, because they’re that way (and this actually happened in 1996; look up the 1995 US Supreme Court case United States v. Lopez).

http://gonh.org/uploads/images/65/FAQ_3-19-10-7-27-10.pdf said:
Where can I carry a pistol or revolver in New Hampshire? Alternatively, Where CAN‘T I carry my firearm under New Hampshire STATE law? Essentially state courtrooms and areas pertaining to courts, jury assembly rooms, deliberation rooms, conference and interview rooms, judge‘s chambers, court staff facilities, holding facilities and other areas ―used by a court.
[...]
What about federal law, does it restrict where I can carry a firearm in New Hampshire? Yes, it does, you cannot lawfully carry a firearm in federal courthouses. Federal law also arguably prohibits carrying a firearm in federal buildings and potentially New Hampshire school zones which is defined as elementary, junior high, and high school (simply because of the language in R.S.A. 159:6, which arguably does not require a New Hampshire licensee to make sure the applicant is qualified under law to receive a New Hampshire license. No New Hampshire licensee has been challenged on this point yet, don‘t be the test case!).

See both of the above links for the full FAQs. I'm not an NH lawyer, so please don't take this as legal advice.

I still wonder about the federal law. I would think it would have to be the feds to charge you and not the NH police. For instance if you were in a school zone what right would the local (or even state) PD have to detain you? After all it does not violate state law, so shouldn't they need to let you go if you haven't broken any laws? I'd also like to think it would need to the biggest Richard Cranium of a cop to call the feds on you.

Thanks for the replies.

06lemansc6 => I have a 2005 lemans c6. I run a local corvette club autocross at devens ma if you'd like to come check it out. We have two events in September.

I haven't even been to NH in several years but I just found the application that I had started to fill out and forgot about. I just mailed it in and assuming I get it, it'll give me a good excuse to head up there for a weekend to do some hiking/ other outdoorsy stuff.

ETA: Check was cleared 9/7

ETA: Received 9/19

Last edited:
I just received my NH permit, and since this is my first for NH, I have a question. One hte back of the permit is a white bar similar to the signature strip on most other cards. The only problem is the white strip is covered over with the clear sealant used for the rest of the card. Am I supposed to sign the card in that strip? I don't know how a pen would penetrate the sealant to stick on the card?

I just received my NH permit, and since this is my first for NH, I have a question. One hte back of the permit is a white bar similar to the signature strip on most other cards. The only problem is the white strip is covered over with the clear sealant used for the rest of the card. Am I supposed to sign the card in that strip? I don't know how a pen would penetrate the sealant to stick on the card?

just sign it. It worked fine for me

Um, there is no significance.

Sure there is. Non Resident licenses are done by the state police, from one location. Resident licenses are done by town, in their town offices, so each town would need the equipment to produce the cards. That is a big expense, which equals a waste of money and would drive up the cost. I'll keep my $10 for 4 years, thank you very much.

Sure there is. Non Resident licenses are done by the state police, from one location. Resident licenses are done by town, in their town offices, so each town would need the equipment to produce the cards. That is a big expense, which equals a waste of money and would drive up the cost. I'll keep my $10 for 4 years, thank you very much.

All right, all right. You are winning.

I thought you were one of those tinfoilers who think that somehow the change in wording from permit to license means one is better than the other.

All right, all right. You are winning.

I thought you were one of those tinfoilers who think that somehow the change in wording from permit to license means one is better than the other.

LOL

License/Permit, there is a difference between the two, but I don't care what you call it. Magazine/Clip!

And tinfoil is used to make baked potatoes in my house.

LOL

My, uh, friend just got theirs.

Application mailed on Sept. 4th. Check cashed Sept. 11th, License received Sept. 19th.

Permit Issue Date: Sept 8th. Date Stamp on postal meter: Sept. 17th.

Seems like they aged it a bit.

See, there you go. There is no difference. They both do the same thing, shall issue or not.

Not just talking about the Pistol License. In general, a license and a permit are not the same thing. Yes, the outcome is the same though.

It's like saying a metal roof is the same as a shingle roof. Yes, they do the same job and are both roofs, but are totally different.

They just kick back my application for forgetting to put all lawful purposes on the application. But quick response to get back to me hopefully the license will come quick . I need to get my maine non res ltc

They kicked my NH non-res back for forgetting to give them a copy of my LTC. Sent it back in and they had the permit back in about 5 days. At least NH know how to do stuff quickly.

Back
Top Bottom