• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH non resident permit?

According to usacarry.com, a MA resident permit is valid in...

Alaska
Arizona
Idaho
Indiana
Iowa
Kentucky
Massachusetts
Michigan
Missouri
Montana
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont

...and a NH non-resident P&R license adds...

Alabama
Arkansas
Georgia
Louisiana
Mississippi
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Pennsylvania
Wyoming

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Just found out today that I have been approved for my NH non-resident pistol permit. Does the non-resident pistol permit give me reciprocity with those 22 other previously stated states? or does the NH permit have to be a resident?

Thanks!

It depends on the other state. Colorado, Michigan, NH, SC, and Maine all require that the holder of a concealed carry license be a resident of the issuing state. All the others don't care.

Alright, stupid question here but after reading this thread for the past 30 minutes I'm going to give up and just ask.

Why does it ask for your occupation/employer? From the info I've gathered it seems to me like this wouldn’t matter at all, maybe if you worked in NH, but even that seems kind of pointless. I plan on sending in the application this week but want to make sure I fill everything out right so I was wondering what everyone else put. Thanks in advance.

Alright, stupid question here but after reading this thread for the past 30 minutes I'm going to give up and just ask.

Why does it ask for your occupation/employer? From the info I've gathered it seems to me like this wouldn’t matter at all, maybe if you worked in NH, but even that seems kind of pointless. I plan on sending in the application this week but want to make sure I fill everything out right so I was wondering what everyone else put. Thanks in advance.

It isn't a damn trick question. It asks for your employer, so that's what you put. Nothing to figure out or try to get right. This isn't Mass for christ sake.

It isn't a damn trick question. It asks for your employer, so that's what you put. Nothing to figure out or try to get right. This isn't Mass for christ sake.

No need to get abrasive over it. He's probably curious more than anything else. My guess is it is a holdover from the old days when a "background check" didn't involve a computer and more legwork was needed.

-Mike

No need to get abrasive over it. He's probably curious more than anything else. My guess is it is a holdover from the old days when a "background check" didn't involve a computer and more legwork was needed.

-Mike

I can understand his frustration at the endless stream of paranoid questions re firearm laws in NH coming from present and soon to be past Mass residents.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.......

Quick question from a newbie. I have a night hike planned for New Hampshire. I have NOT applied for my permit just yet, but the hike is going to take place before i would get my license back...

I came across this on their website..
I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

• You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
  • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
  • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.
  • Please refer t0 RSA 159 for additional information.

If I read that right.... I would interpret that as saying, I can open carry my handgun? Or even more stupid... what if I have the hand gun, and my friend has the magazines?

just curious of other people's interpretations.

Quick question from a newbie. I have a night hike planned for New Hampshire. I have NOT applied for my permit just yet, but the hike is going to take place before i would get my license back...

I would like to bring my handgun into New Hampshire, yet I don’t have a license to carry concealed. How may I carry?

• You may carry unloaded in your vehicle. Be sure that the ammunition is separate from the gun.
  • You may carry loaded on your person. The weapon needs to be fully exposed. For example, it may not be concealed by a shirt or a jacket, or located in a backpack.
  • You may carry unloaded and concealed on your person, so long as you do not possess any ammunition on your person.

If I read that right.... I would interpret that as saying, I can open carry my handgun? Or even more stupid... what if I have the hand gun, and my friend has the magazines?

With all due respect this topic has been beaten to death. You may open carry in NH, either loaded or unloaded. IMO there is nothing more useless than an unloaded gun. If you're going to carry unloaded you'd be better off with a rock.

As you already found if you don't have a non-res P&R you must open carry and it must be unloaded in a vehicle.

There's no interpretations. NH law is pretty easy to understand. If you don't have a non-resident license (not a permit, we don't ask for permission), then you can carry openly. Or you can carry concealed, but the firearm has to be unloaded. You can, of course, carry openly and unloaded too.

The sticky point comes to possession in vehicles. It has to remain unloaded since it's considered "concealed", IIRC.

I mailed my NH non resident app along with $100 on 6/9. Check was cashed 6/19. Woot! Lets hope they process it as quickly as they cashed the check. Just to clarify...if i have MA restrictions (employment purposes and T/H) and i am driving up to NH, i cant carry a loaded firearm on the way to NH correct? Sorry to ask. Im sure it's here somewhere. I hate MA laws.

I couldn't find any reference, just other folks saying it makes no difference. There's no notation on the license about it. I put ALP on my application.

I thought about it for a minute, but then realized it was NH and just wrote ALP, which was in all caps on the directions almost like it was telling me to write that...hmm

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before: On the non-resident NH license application it requires 3 references. Do they actually reach out to these references or is it just a bit of a formality? I'm not sure what the affect of the opinion of three gun-friendly friends of mine will be, versus a clean background check and a $100 check that won't bounce :)

If not, I'd like to at least let the folks I'd use as references know if someone is going to be reaching out to them, as a courtesy.

Sorry if this topic has been brought up before: On the non-resident NH license application it requires 3 references. Do they actually reach out to these references or is it just a bit of a formality? I'm not sure what the affect of the opinion of three gun-friendly friends of mine will be, versus a clean background check and a $100 check that won't bounce :)

If not, I'd like to at least let the folks I'd use as references know if someone is going to be reaching out to them, as a courtesy.

Never had any state call my references.

Back
Top Bottom