NH non resident permit?

Mailed mine out yesterday. I'll let you guys know when it arrives to give you a gauge of the turnaround time.

It actually left in the mail on 1/7 and I received it yesterday 1/13........so that's what it feels like to be free!

6 TOTAL days, 4 business days!

It actually left in the mail on 1/7 and I received it yesterday 1/13........so that's what it feels like to be free!

6 TOTAL days, 4 business days!

I guess they finally got rid of the backlog. (It was running 1-2+ months on average. ) I bet the $100 fee has slowed applications somewhat as well. (It used to be $20).

"Free" would be calling up the Permits and Licensing division and them telling you (politely) to get lost because no license is ever
required. (like Vermont). It's not too bad, though, compared to most of the rest of the country. The NH nonres app is
easy compared to most. (Many require fingerprint cards, passport photos, a whole bunch of other garbage. )

-Mike

Sent my application and check last Wednesday via regular mail and my NH license came today!

I noticed my check was cashed on Friday so I was expecting it soon but not this soon.

has anyone else experienced this: I sent in my NH non-res application during the SUMMER - a friend JUST got my 'character' voucher. Literally a check box form so he can vouch for my moral fiber. WTF?

Darn; my check was cashed on the 4th, and still no permit. People on the internet getting theirs faster can only mean one thing: Time to call the state!

New Hampshire seems backed up again. Rumor has it that they're approving them very quickly, but not sending them back except in batches.

I tried reading throw the 400 sum odd posts but gave up. Ima trying to find out for a friend if he can get a NH non-resident perint to carry with a Ma ltc w/ sporting restriction. From what I read it was a no go but that was posts from a couple years ago, has it changed?

Thanks,
Quinn

I tried reading throw the 400 sum odd posts but gave up. Ima trying to find out for a friend if he can get a NH non-resident perint to carry with a Ma ltc w/ sporting restriction. From what I read it was a no go but that was posts from a couple years ago, has it changed?

Thanks,
Quinn

I was able to back when my LTC was restricted.

Thanks,
Quinn
You're supposed to be able to, and almost all the time can. Apparently some bureaucratic drone(s) in the NH State Police office occasionally "forgets the rules" and denies an application. As I recall reading a call to one of several state congressmen or senators gets it straightened out PDQ.

I was able to back when my LTC was restricted.
I did too. Then again I avoided even the small possibility of being rejected by first getting a Maine non-resident license then using that to get the NH license.

Application sent in on 8/19, received license in mail yesterday, 9/11. No problems with me having a BS T&H Mass. LTC. Maine application will be sent tomorrow.

What is the best thing to put down for a reason
One word: Protection

NH Hampshire only cares if the reason is one provided in the statutes; there is no issue of convincing the right person your reason is "good enough". Stick with this one word and you'll do fine with a NH non-resident app.

Last edited:
From the back of the Non-Res application. The application all but fills out the answer for you.

A license to carry a loaded handgun may be issued for PROTECTION or ALL PROPER PURPOSES.

From the NH RSA posed by strangehn.
Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense shall be considered a proper purpose. The license shall be valid for all allowable purposes regardless of the purpose for which it was originally issued.

According to state law Hunting, Target Shooting and Self Defense are considered proper purposes for a license.
No matter what reason you give to apply for a license, the license is valid for any proper purpose once issued.
List all 3 on the application and you are perfectly fine.

Back
Top Bottom