• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH non resident permit?

I heard that NH law recently changed in several ways.

Is the fee for a non-resident LTC still $100.00?

The pdf online still shows $100.00, but I wonder if changes are in process. I heard it went back to $20.00.
No change. Thank the NRA.

I just got mine in 10 calendar days, from the time I put the application in the mailbox until the time my permit arrived in my mailbox. Spectacular.

So i am filling out this today, just had one question

the new PDF says " For what reasons do you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire?"

should i just fill out with " ALL PROPER PURPOSES" as it says on the 2nd page, not sure if i needed to add another statement

sorry if someone arleady asked this, i combed through alot of the comments but didnt see one, thanks!

Yup, it's been asked before. Answer is that you do NOT need to write any justification down at all. Just put those three words in there and you'll be fine.

Yup, it's been asked before. Answer is that you do NOT need to write any justification down at all. Just put those three words in there and you'll be fine.

Thanks Len

"Zombies!"

Getting ready for that, I have watched too many episodes of Walking Dead, to not be ready, PS picking up that ruger sr1911 this weekend, not to get off topic

So i am filling out this today, just had one question

the new PDF says " For what reasons do you make application to carry a pistol in New Hampshire?"

should i just fill out with " ALL PROPER PURPOSES" as it says on the 2nd page, not sure if i needed to add another statement

sorry if someone arleady asked this, i combed through alot of the comments but didnt see one, thanks!

It isn't a trick question. Just answer it with why you want a license to carry a P&R.

You should answer with one of the reasons specified in NH law. I'll give you a hint: "Zombies" is not listed in the NH licensing statute. "Protection" is. That one word is all you need for a reason on your NH form.

Lawyers. No sense of humor. I may have to use "Zombies" next time. I know my CLEO would approve it.

LMFAO, that was my first choice, zombies, was going to then reference the show "the walking dead" as an example and that CDC thing about how zombies could really exist, LOL

Steve Hornady mentions having learned about the Zombies from documentaries:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/2011/10/14/hornady-zombie-max-ammo/

SH: I’ve seen several of the documentaries and read the history books (e.g Dawn of the Dead, World War Z etc.), which is when I learned of this threat and realized we weren’t really prepared. I felt we had a civic duty to our customers, our nation, nay simply the living, to offer the most effective ammunition we could develop

Sadly, CC license rejection is too big a risk to try such stuff - because you have to declare a rejection on many or most other states' applications - so everyone becomes concerned about things like exact wording. It's not even worth trying something cute as a matter of humor because there is more than the filing fee to lose.

That said, as Rob's successful use of "protection" shows, the processors of out-of-state NH applications haven't been pedantic and will approve a reasonable basis even if it isn't literally stated in the RSAs. But if you want to play it safe, use one of the "proper purposes" listed in RSA 159:6 - "Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense".

Just list "hunting, target shooting and self defense" on the application. As strangenh pointed out, keep it simple and reasonable. If you act like a flake, you may open yourself up to some unintended consequences.

No matter what reason you apply for a license, there is no restriction (for purpose) on carrying once you have the license (unlike our neighbors to the south).

Sadly, CC license rejection is too big a risk to try such stuff - because you have to declare a rejection on many or most other states' applications - so everyone becomes concerned about things like exact wording. It's not even worth trying something cute as a matter of humor because there is more than the filing fee to lose.

That said, as Rob's successful use of "protection" shows, the processors of out-of-state NH applications haven't been pedantic and will approve a reasonable basis even if it isn't literally stated in the RSAs. But if you want to play it safe, use one of the "proper purposes" listed in RSA 159:6 - "Hunting, target shooting, or self-defense".

NH is a shall issue state. They cannot deny a license for being silly on the app.

NH is a shall issue state. They cannot deny a license for being silly on the app.
The relevant section of the RSAs (159:6) states clearly that the license shall issue "if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose[...]". Putting something silly on the app would fail that "proper purpose," leg of the test, don't you think? What did you put on your app?

The relevant section of the RSAs (159:6) states clearly that the license shall issue "if it appears that the applicant has good reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property or has any proper purpose[...]". Putting something silly on the app would fail that "proper purpose," leg of the test, don't you think? What did you put on your app?

You are a transplant from over there, aren't you?

You are a transplant from over there, aren't you?
What on earth are you talking about? An out-of-state applicant that puts something ridiculous on the application can be denied, legally. It is that simple. Your earlier statement "It isn't a trick question. Just answer it with why you want a license to carry a P&R" was 100% right. What are you having a problem with?

We are very close to being "shall issue" and in practice are in most towns, but we are sadly not a true shall issue state and a ridiculous reason can be denied, legally. Most chiefs would laugh, but the processors of out of state applications would certainly not be breaking the law to deny one that gave a ridiculous reason.

Yet another reason we're fighting hard to get a constitutional carry bill through.

Last edited:
What on earth are you talking about? An out-of-state applicant that puts something ridiculous on the application can be denied, legally. It is that simple. Your earlier statement "It isn't a trick question. Just answer it with why you want a license to carry a P&R" was 100% right. What are you having a problem with?

Nice sidestep of the question. Well? Are you?

Nice sidestep of the question. Well? Are you?
You also dodged all of mine. But ok, here is your answer: No.

Now, explain your question. I was telling a nervous nellie what to do if it wants to play it safe on an out of state app. They f up by putting something ridiculous on there, they get to report that denial forever. The law has some listed that are declared as "proper" so when people ask what to put, any good reason will do, but those automatically "do." What part of that confused you or did you disagree with?

Now here's a question or two for you. Let's see if you sidestep them. How old are you? Do you remember why and when "self-defense" was added to RSA 159:6?

Last edited:
You also dodged all of mine. But ok, here is your answer: No.

Now, explain your question. I was telling a nervous nellie what to do if it wants to play it safe on an out of state app. They f up by putting something ridiculous on there, they get to report that denial forever. The law has some listed that are declared as "proper" so when people ask what to put, any good reason will do, but those automatically "do." What part of that confused you or did you disagree with?

Now here's a question or two for you. Let's see if you sidestep them. How old are you? Do you remember why and when "self-defense" was added to RSA 159:6?

I do not disagree with anything. Just find it amazing that such a simple question is beat to death, without cause. Just like the life of a ma subject. Always making a mountain out of a molehill.

As for my age, that is none of your business. I have been a member of AARP for many year now already though.

Back
Top Bottom