• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Anti-gun bills in the Senate...

I have been told that 'Susan' is also sharing that she was called by the Governor's and noted that the bill had been vetoed.

Interesting...I've supported the WDL over the past few years but it's going to be difficult now if she is the voice of that organization.

"HB 696, Elder care gun confiscation" really should be called "HB 696, Adult Due Process Confiscation," just to be clear about the core issue. I know "we" got active on it because of the "deadly weapon" angle, but at the core the issue was a steamroller of due process because of imagined exigent circumstances that would be better handled by bills to help ensure a properly functioning police and court system.

StrangeNH is correct. We titled the bill at the beginning of the year and it morphed. The bill still allow for confiscation of firearms, but the real threat was the due process and constitutional violations.
FWIW, there was a flaw that I did not see until after a great state rep pointed it out. They used the word "person" not "vulnerable adult" While this would be a gross misreading of the statute, it is possible that this could apply to people other an vulnerable adult.

173-D:11 Protection by Peace Officers.

I. Whenever any peace officer has probable cause to believe that a person has been abused, exploited, or neglected, as defined in RSA 161-F:43 and RSA 173-D:2, that officer shall use all means within reason to prevent further abuse, exploitation, or neglect including, but not limited to:

(a) Confiscating any deadly weapons involved in the alleged abuse, exploitation or neglect.

BTW, has anyone found out why this was being pushed by a small group of people

HB696 has been vetoed!
Ms. Olsen has published a copy of a the veto letter from the Governor . While I am not sure how the letter was obtained as the veto message is not on the nh.gov website as of Saturday morning I have taken the copy from FB and posted below.

Attachments

• 2019 HB696 veto message part 1.jpg
    2019 HB696 veto message part 1.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 2019 HB696 veto message part 2.jpg
    2019 HB696 veto message part 2.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 35
1 down, 3 to go.
I'll save my high fives and back slapping until we are done.
While I agree with you in principle, this is absolutely news worth celebrating on its own -- HB696 was the only bill I had any concerns about, he's made his intentions clear on the other three.

Maybe not time to pop the cork, but absolutely time to start chilling the bubbly.

HB696 has been vetoed!
Ms. Olsen has published a copy of a the veto letter from the Governor . While I am not sure how the letter was obtained as the veto message is not on the nh.gov website as of Saturday morning I have taken the copy from FB and posted below.
I'm sufficiently jaded I want to see it come from the horse's mouth - not a third party - before I'll believe it's so. I, too, know how to use Photoshop.

'Sununu said some of the latest rejected bills were well-intentioned, such as creating a protective order for vulnerable adults.

In his veto measure, Sununu said this one (SB 696) could inadvertently endanger the victims of domestic violence by lumping this new order into the existing ones abuse victims can secure from a judge for a stalking or domestic violence protective order.

“However as drafted, this bill potentially reduces the protections available to domestic violence victims who are vulnerable adults by creating a tool that includes far fewer protections than current law,” Sununu said.

Some gun owner activists had urged Sununu to veto the bill and Sununu agreed under the bill someone’s Second Amendment rights “could be violated without judicial oversight.”' [Emphasis Supplied]

... The establishment/big business which is pushing these laws nationally along with a small cabal of influential people with access to the governors office tried very hard to get this poorly written bill passed.......

Now is the time to ID who is in this "cabal", and also to firm up our own side's influence and access.

Good news
Keep in mind that Bloomturd has a history of leaving his useful idiots with their ass hanging in the breeze once they are no longer useful. Go for the throat on the ringleaders of this shitshow.

Yup. Make sure to ID them, and prevent this from happening again. Expose the source(s).

Don't forget, Veto does not equal DEAD, Veto + Sustained = Dead.

Veto is more like a mortal wound.

Since this is a House Bill, the bill will go back to the House. Let's make sure the veto is sustained.

Now it is time to contact your State Rep.

Well done everyone

Just a reminder for folks.....

It goes back to the house and now is the time to call/write your reps and urge them to sustain the veto on HB 696 because its a badly written bill and urge them to come back next year with a clean/well written bill that protects peoples constitutionally guaranteed rights

Or don't come back with anything 2A related unless it's protecting constitutional rights.

Let em know their re-election campaigns are about to get a whole lot more expensive.

NHPR's latest article includes a "Veto Tracker" with links to the veto statement, if any.
NHPR said:
Sununu has already set a modern record for the number of gubernatorial vetoes in a single year.
More vetoes are almost certain to come, as several bills still await Sununu's thumbs up or down.
First gov in decades actually willing to do the job.

HB 109, 514 and 564 are all still waiting for the senate president to sign them before then can go to the secretary of state and on to the gov........
Are there any shenanigans they can play by letting these bills sit?
Not unless they find a way to pressure Gov. Chris into either signing them (or letting them become law without his signature).

A paranoid would suggest they'll try to sit on HB564 until school is back in session, and miraculously a school shooting will take place...

InDepthNh is reporting that Soucy signed the remaining 3 anti-gun bills. These could be on Sununu's desk tomorrow. Now is time to make the final calls to his office.

PS, they were waiting for a mass murder event.

Gov Sununu's office 603-271-2121

You're urging him not to play politics and veto the following bills

Signing any of these into law will not and would not have stopped any of the shooting and these same measures have been proven to have no effect on crime in other states.....california has had these laws in effect for 25 years with no decrease in crime when compared to 30 some odd states that do not over same period of time

HB 109
HB 514
HB 564

Left a voice mail, wonder if his phone is taking a beating today...

I also sent an email. I will call again in an hour or 2.

Last edited:
Left a voice mail, wonder if his phone is taking a beating today...

I also sent an email. I will call again in an hour or 2.

I got right through to a staffer at 9:30 this morning. By the end of giving her my contact information I had to remind her which side I'm on. Keep those calls coming - our enemies are calling too.

Back
Top Bottom