• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Alert: SB116. Still on the Gov's desk. ***Vetoed***

You expected anything different?

No, I suppose not. It saddens me...no, angers me to read comments by so many who carry and they see no problem with paying the 10 dollars to the state for the "privilege to carry". DAMMIT...IT"S NOT A ****ING PRIVILEGE! IT"S A GOD DAMNED UNALIENABLE RIGHT!!! [banghead]

No, I suppose not. It saddens me...no, angers me to read comments by so many who carry and they see no problem with paying the 10 dollars to the state for the "privilege to carry". DAMMIT...IT"S NOT A ****ING PRIVILEGE! IT"S A GOD DAMNED UNALIENABLE RIGHT!!! [banghead]

Our governor doesn't see it that way. Welcome to the blue state of New Hampshire

Before we give up and go hang out at the range, pout and complain that NH can never restore the liberty that has been taken. Read the following book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_and_the_Terrible,_Horrible,_No_Good,_Very_Bad_Day

Either the glass is half full or half empty

We should consider the following:
1. In NH it has taken 10 years to get to the point where the bill was sent to the Governor. Even in 2011 with super majorities in both the House and Senate we could not do this. [For reference, the concept for this bill started in 2004 in NH.]
2. Several other states finally passed a Constitutional Carry bill this year.
3. Society as a whole is starting to realize that police officers will likely not get there in time and are starting to think about their own personal protection in the absence of "state protection".
4. Society as a whole is getting safer.
5. The radical MDA's groups are being see as the Bloomberg puppets they are.
6. More are more women are getting involved in the broad field of firearms (target shooting as well as personal protection. The classes that I see at the range have a much bigger percentage of women than ever before)
7. The press is finally publishing stories about people protecting themselves. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...-husband-wounded-gun-battle-article-1.2278241
8. The NH legislature is becoming more liberty friendly each year, we just don't have a majority. Once people taste freedom, they seem to like it. FWIW, the state has been going the wrong direction for over a decade, so it will take some time to turn this around.
9. In 2011 we collected 485 petitions and the bill got stalled in the senate, this year it was 400% higher and the bill sat on Hassan's desk all the way untill the 11th hour. She vetoed the bill with less than 3 hours remaining in the business day on the last possible day to veto the bill).

Take some time off; there will be lots of discussions on what the next steps should be and given that the left is reading our blog [Thanks MB, love you guys :), I'm sure the owner of this site likes the extra traffic, besides your attention helps some reps with fund raising...]

In the future, we will have the discussion on what to do next in a quieter place, like maybe at one of the meet ups or after a cookout at a range. In the mean time go spend a day at the range and if you are blessed with kids, teach your children to shoot. It is far better for them to spend money on ammo than it drugs.

If the left wants to go after a issue, how about reforming the drug laws. (Heroin ODs are killing more people than cars are at this point)

Here are some articles that you can comment on if you want: (Tomorrows papers)

Articles:
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150706/NEWS0621/150709462

http://www.concordmonitor.com/reade...vetoes-bill-to-remove-concealed-carry-license

-Design

In the future, we will have the discussion on what to do next in a quieter place, like maybe at one of the meet ups or after a cookout at a range. In the mean time go spend a day at the range and if you are blessed with kids, teach your children to shoot. It is far better for them to spend money on ammo than it drugs.

If the left wants to go after a issue, how about reforming the drug laws. (Heroin ODs are killing more people than cars are at this point)

Your whole post was excellent, but this particular part has reminded me about something related.

Drugs. Well, not just drugs, but marijuana specifically.

States all across the country and moving in one direction with regards to marijuana, both medical and recreational use of it. That direction, is in the direction of allowing it, decriminalizing it, legalizing it, etc. Of the two major parties that tends to support this the most, it is easily more supported by democrats. So you would think a democratic governor like Maggie Hassan would be if not supportive, open to this idea. But she isn't. At all. She is absolutely terrible on it.

Not only does she despise the things and the rights that are more supported by the right, but she hates the things and rights that are more supported by the left too!

--- PGNH:
[h=2]LEGISLATIVE ALERT![/h] [FONT=&quot]NH Alert: SB116 Constitutional Carry. Committee Hearing 3/24 10AM

[/FONT]

--- GONH:
MINUTEMAN ALERT -- ACTION NEEDED!!

SENATE BILL 116 IS SET FOR A HOUSE FLOOR VOTE ON WEDNESDAY, April 29[SUP]th[/SUP] 2015

how embarrassing. [sad2]

The day after, Wmur morning news verbally states the veto by the gov, and states that Hassan says "the way it is now helps keep guns out of dangerous criminals hands." That is it? That is the blurb that mur gives the general public? I ask, please explain how so??

2nd nitpick: placing a loaded handgun in a vehicle (either on your person or not) counts under the law as "concealed" and thus requires a license.

A nitpick about your nitpick. [grin]

It actually isn't considered "concealed" under the law. It is considered a loaded firearm in a vehicle, of which pistols and revolvers are exempt with a proper P&R license issued. [wink]

Just saying.......

--- PGNH:
[h=2]LEGISLATIVE ALERT![/h] [FONT="][COLOR=#8d2424][SIZE=5]NH Alert: SB116 Constitutional Carry. Committee Hearing 3/24 10AM

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]

--- [URL="http://www.gonh.org"]GONH[/URL]:
MINUTEMAN ALERT -- ACTION NEEDED!!

SENATE BILL 116 IS SET FOR A HOUSE FLOOR VOTE ON WEDNESDAY, April 29[SUP]th[/SUP] 2015

how embarrassing. [sad2]

They are all over it

They do the bidding of their NRA Masters, So what do you expect? NRA didn't get their way on this so bill, So take that into account on how GONH handled this. Also it wasn't them that was leading the charge on this, it was another gun rights group that was and they can't have that. So rather than come together for a common goal, they would rather do nothing, and I suspect that they could have very well been in the background sabotaging it.

You might be overthinking this. I think this is less ill-intent than it is simply lack of any signs of life.

GO-NH doesn't seem to be answering email, returning memberships, etc. and I think PG-NH, long on life support as it was, has been mercifully put out of its (and our) misery.

Rather than some back-room nefarious deal-making, I just think "They're dead, Jim."

I'd like to see Howell and Bradley draft a new bill that eliminates the $10 fee and/or make it a lifetime expiration.

I'd like to see Howell and Bradley draft a new bill that eliminates the $10 fee and/or make it a lifetime expiration.

I'd much prefer to see the Constitutional Carry myself...Why should there be any record if I decide to exercise my constitutional right/s or not.

That is really what bothers me most. I don't care about the 10 dollars, it is the asking for permission that crosses me.

anyone check out the WMUR website? There are some real meathead commenters.

Ugh. WMUR continues to disappoint.

Even the article headline is incorrect, "Hassan vetoes bill to remove concealed carry license". It was a bill to remove the conceal carry license requirement.

So much fail.

- - - Updated - - -

That is really what bothers me most. I don't care about the 10 dollars, it is the asking for permission that crosses me.

And it's redundant. If you're not a federally prohibited person, you're getting a P&R license. Sure, there's been a handful of petty little tyrants that have rejected P&R applicants, only to be overturned by the courts.

It's just awful.

I'd much prefer to see the Constitutional Carry myself...Why should there be any record if I decide to exercise my constitutional right/s or not.

The end goal is being able to criss-cross the country with a loaded handgun without any state-sponsored interference.

If an incremental goal of "lifetime expiration" or "$0 cost applications" can be done and signed into law, I see that as progress.

Remember, the anti-freedom Progressives are great at this. They started with NFA, then CGA, etc. We should be able to do the same thing.

The hypocrisy of this whole thing astounds me...in 1963 NH ratified the 24th amendment doing away with poll taxes as it amounted to having to pay a fee (or tax) to vote. The poll tax came about to marginalize black and poor Americans...it was even deemed constitutional in the 30's by the SCOTUS.

I think it's eerily coincidental that we are fighting basically the same thing in regards to having to pay to exercise another one of our unalienable rights. I just don't get the logic, or lack thereof, of our politicians that voted against this.

And it's redundant. If you're not a federally prohibited person, you're getting a P&R license. Sure, there's been a handful of petty little tyrants that have rejected P&R applicants, only to be overturned by the courts.

There have been some denials that have been upheld by the courts even if the person wasn't federally prohibited. I know of 1 (as I've spoken to the chief who did it). Based on my limited research, almost no denials get taken to court.

I thought it was the opposite: Many get taken to court. I don't know the numbers but I thought it was at least a majority. The guy from Bedford who owns the gun store in Merrimack, who's wife committed a murder-suicide earlier this year, was originally denied a P&R license. He took it to court and won.

There have been some denials that have been upheld by the courts even if the person wasn't federally prohibited. I know of 1 (as I've spoken to the chief who did it). Based on my limited research, almost no denials get taken to court.

I know of one as well, the one I am aware of SHOULD have been a PP. He was not due to lazy prosecutors.

The permission asking bothers me, but the suitability aspect worries me.

It's just awful.

My main concern is when one of those isn't overturned, the suitability clause gets traction, and then expanded.

The permission asking bothers me, but the suitability aspect worries me.

My main concern is when one of those isn't overturned, the suitability clause gets traction, and then expanded.

Like this one?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/40946-NH-Judge-backs-chief-on-gun-permit-restriction

Just a heads up, the reason he was denied was the 12 month suspended sentence that he had to pay $21k in restitution. Any crime with $21k in damage SHOULD have been a class A felony and result in being a PP.

Congratulations to those that had negative attitudes and combative posts declaring that they knew what was going to happen weeks ago. I hope all of your I-told-you-so's feel good. I am so glad there are hundreds of posts arguing nonsense and cluttering this thread. None of that helped this fight at all.
Deluding oneself with a positive attitude regarding whether or not a bill will become law has absolutely no bearing on whether or not a governor is going to veto a bill. I did my part--petition, emailing, calling--knowing it would not make a difference. The governor is a gun prohibitionist who stated from the beginning she would veto the bill. One cannot will her to be otherwise.
I hope there are folks working on the override, we need to keep this issue alive. If an override doesn't happen, I hope they pass this bill again next year and put it back on the governors desk. The packaging of this bill was so well thought out that I am actually surprised she did veto it. Now it is time to drag her through the mud for her veto while working on the override and making it known that this issue will be coming back the very next chance we get. Legal weed keeps coming back, this should keep coming back.
An override won't happen.

Hassan played to her base with this veto as part of her run for Ayotte's seat, which she will win despite your vote and any wishful thinking otherwise. She will wear your dragging "through the mud" as a badge of honor and doesn't care how many times a CC bill passes both houses.

An override won't happen.

Hassan played to her base with this veto as part of her run for Ayotte's seat, which she will win despite your vote and any wishful thinking otherwise. She will wear your dragging "through the mud" as a badge of honor and doesn't care how many times a CC bill passes both houses.

Curious as to why you say an override can't happen. By my math, they have the House and need one or two votes in the Senate.

Agreed on the Senate run. I figured if she signed this (very unlikely) or let it quietly enter law without her signature (unlikely too) it would mean she would seek another term as governor. I think the veto is a hint that she wants higher office.

Back
Top Bottom