• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NH Alert: SB116. Still on the Gov's desk. ***Vetoed***

Stolen from Susan Olson on Faceyspace, the latest message from His Excellency

Deadline: midnight. Goal: $5,000. We need you. Help us stand up to the gun lobby. Contribute.
This week I vetoed a radical right-wing bill that would allow anyone to carry a hidden gun without a license.
The gun lobby is furious. It has been trying to make me back down since I announced I would veto this bill. Now that I’ve stood up for commonsense gun laws, it’s only a matter of time before the misleading attack ads hit the airwaves.
We need to be ready to respond to whatever the NRA throws at us. That’s why we’ve set a rapid response goal of $5,000 by midnight: to have the funds to fight back against whatever outrageous attacks they launch.
Please give $5 or whatever you can before midnight to push back against the gun lobby’s attacks.
If you've saved payment info with ActBlue Express, your donation will go through immediately:
Click to donate $5.
Click to donate $25.
Click to donate $50.
Or click here to donate another amount.
New Hampshire has a long tradition of protecting Second Amendment rights and public safety. This bill – which would have eliminated a commonsense law that’s worked for nearly a century – goes too far. I won’t allow a misguided measure that undermines public safety to become law.
Groups like the NRA won’t take this without fighting back. But I’m not afraid to stand up to the gun lobby, and I know you aren’t, either.
I need you to stand with me now: Please donate $5 or more before midnight so we have the funds we need to fight back against the coming attacks!
Please give $5 before midnight to help stand up to the gun lobby!
With every good wish,
Maggie

SMH

... If you're not a federally prohibited person, you're getting a P&R license. Sure, there's been a handful of petty little tyrants that have rejected P&R applicants, only to be overturned by the courts. ...

Unless there are lawyers handling such lawsuits pro bono, poorer citizens aren't getting them overturned in court. A rejection is the end of the line (or OC).

Yes. Minimum I've heard for this is $1500. Some of the more "popular" firearms attorneys charge $5000.

So now we have a price tag on a Constitutionally protected fundamental right, of around $3,000.

I don't know about YOU, but *I* don't *have* $3k to drop just because.

Fortunately, though, I'm a White Male, so the racism and bigotry fostered by "Maggie's Law" would not as likely affect me.

- - - Updated - - -

OKay,,,, So now the Gun rights lawyers want it both ways? If they screen their clients case well enough, After they prevail they will get paid by the licensing authority that lost the argument. That is what is provided for in the law.

Does the law provide for that if they don't prevail, or if the case is "settled" before going to court?

So now we have a price tag on a Constitutionally protected fundamental right, of around $3,000.

I don't know about YOU, but *I* don't *have* $3k to drop just because.

Fortunately, though, I'm a White Male, so the racism and bigotry fostered by "Maggie's Law" would not as likely affect me.

- - - Updated - - -

Does the law provide for that if they don't prevail, or if the case is "settled" before going to court?

Doesn't matter... There was a liberal leaning Veteran, and yes white, whose CoP had to be stirred a little to approve the license.

Click to donate $5.
Click to donate $25.
Click to donate $50.
Or click here to donate another amount.

I guess this is one way to build up your war chest for a senate run. What a skank.

I just wanna point out we have a NES member right now who is fighting the chief who denied him. He has no violent record and is not a PP or mentally adjudicated etc. Hell he doesn't even have a conviction of any kind. He is literally just like you and me. He is also not part of any special and protected class. He angered the chief and so chief is having a meltdown and refuses to issue. He has a court date this week. I do know he has an attorney and I do know it is costing him real money. He has told me he will post the "gory details" once he has his license in hand.

The point is, people are in fact being arbitrarily denied and it costs real money to fight. Many people have the will to fight but not the financial means to fight. That right there is IMHO a denial of rights.

Sorry to hear that, But is he going for the jugular as far as the money goes? That being said is he going to ask the court to block the municipality from paying the bill and require the chief to pay it himself as required by the statute?

This ^^^^^

Sorry to hear that, But is he going for the jugular as far as the money goes? That being said is he going to ask the court to block the municipality from paying the bill and require the chief to pay it himself as required by the statute?

Hope he does and leaves a footprint on that chief's bank account.

The following Reps have already replied to me saying they will attempt to override the veto:
Glen Aldrich, Len Turcotte, Mitch Rollins, Kimberly Rice, James Spillane, George Hurt, Susan DeLemus, Peter Varney, Ernie Bridge and Lynne Ober.

Edit:

added to the list:
Carol Bush and Frank Edelblut.

Last edited:
Get your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers to stop electing Massghanistan natives to public office.
THIS! I fear NH is going to be N. MA soon...unless the Senate acts accordingly and undoes this veto via override, it's a sign of the beginning of the end. Soon you'll have income tax and higher gas tax and higher cigarette tax and tax tax tax tax tax....

THIS! I fear NH is going to be N. MA soon...unless the Senate acts accordingly and undoes this veto via override, it's a sign of the beginning of the end. Soon you'll have income tax and higher gas tax and higher cigarette tax and tax tax tax tax tax....

"Potential fee increases subject of upcoming Fish and Game meeting - Hikes to be discussed at July 15 commission meeting"

Unless there are lawyers handling such lawsuits pro bono, poorer citizens aren't getting them overturned in court. A rejection is the end of the line (or OC).

In some cases it's easier to just take a different route rather then challenging it. $300 to expunge a 14 year old misdemeanor vs $3000 to a lawyer to fight the wrongful denial, you can guess which way most in that situation would go.

[h=1][/h]

Hassan has drawn the line in the sand and 24 hours later. A teenage candidate tramples a former House member who was the prime sponsor of several of the worst anti-gun bill in 2014. The NHGOP may talk about budgets, but the reality is NH still likes their firearms and is willing to go to the polls to remind those involved with "poly-ticks" that our Constitution and our liberty matter. Citizens remember these reps and vote them out!

The less then stellar candidate* won by a 2:1 ratio (772 to 385) against the sponsor of the UBC bill from last year. http://gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2014/HB1589_i.html
I have been told but have not confirmed that Bloomberg funded MDA was helping in Andrews-Ahern in her race. The fact that this candidate won so easily over Ahern shows that the public wants their rights restored.

PS. +1 more vote on the override.

*Numerous articles in the press about prior behavior

Last edited:
Hassan has drawn the line in the sand and 24 hours later. A teenage candidate tramples a former House member who was the prime sponsor of several of the worst anti-gun bill in 2014. The NHGOP may talk about budgets, but the reality is NH still likes their firearms and is willing to go to the polls to remind those involved with "poly-ticks" that our Constitution and our liberty matter. Citizens remember these reps and vote them out!

The less then stellar candidate* won by a 2:1 ratio (772 to 385) against the sponsor of the UBC bill from last year. http://gencourt.state.nh.us/legislation/2014/HB1589_i.html
I have been told but have not confirmed that Bloomberg funded MDA was helping in Andrews-Ahern in her race. The fact that this candidate won so easily over Ahern shows that the public wants their rights restored.

PS. +1 more vote on the override.

*Numerous articles in the press about prior behavior
I'm a little slow on the uptake here, I see you're +1 for votes but what/who are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom