NFA SBR engraving in Mass

Does that count as being in a conspicuous location? I thought it had to be visible without any disassembly.

barrel is acceptable for the engraving.

By engraving, casting,
stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or
causing to be engraved, cast,
stamped (impressed) or placed on
the frame or receiver thereof an
individual serial number. The se-

rial number must be placed in a
manner not susceptible of being
readily obliterated, altered, or removed,
and must not duplicate
any serial number placed by you
on any other firearm. For firearms
manufactured, imported, or made
on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamping
(impressing) of the serial
number must be to a minimum
depth of .003 inch and in a print
size no smaller than 1/16 inch;
and
(2) By engraving, casting,
stamping (impressing), or otherwise
conspicuously placing or
causing to be engraved, cast,
stamped (impressed), or placed
on the frame, receiver, or barrel
thereof certain additional information.
This information must be
placed in a manner not susceptible
of being readily obliterated, altered
or removed. For firearms
manufactured, imported, or made
on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamping
(impressing) of this information
must be to a minimum depth
of .003 inch. The additional information
includes:
(i) The model, if such designation
has been made;
(ii) The caliber or gauge;
(iii) Your name (or recognized
abbreviation) and also,
when applicable, the name of
the foreign manufacturer or
maker;

conspicuous placement is referencing the physical act of the engraving, not the location. the locations are laid out after that.

"The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm."

There is a ton of interweb myth surrounding the placement of NFA engraving because most people can't ****ing read. This statement covers everything you need to know: Do not add any unnecessary interpretation to it.

Last edited:
"The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm."

Huh?what are you quoting this for? My name engraved isn't a serial number.it is the name of the gun manufacturer

Huh?what are you quoting this for? My name engraved isn't a serial number.it is the name of the gun manufacturer

The exact same instructions are repeated for your trust name for those who can read:

"This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed."

ATF 5300.4 in 27 CFR 479.102 (page 92) describes what is necessary to engrave on a SBR or SBS when one is manufacturing. This is not necessary if you purchase one that is already manufactured as it will have been done for you.

1) On the Frame or Receiver the Serial number;

2) on the frame, receiver, or barrel the following additional information;

A)The model;

B)The caliber or gage;

C)Your name or name of the Trust in the case of a Trust (no abbreviations are permitted for the Trust name);

D)The city and state (you can abbreviate the state with the official 2 digit state code)

The above mentioned information must be engraved, casted, stamped (impressing) or otherwise conspicuously placed or caused to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size of the Serial number shall be no smaller than 1/16 inch.

Name of manufacturer (You or trust) and city and state

Most often this is all you need to add. On 'multi cal' AR lowers, if the barrel has caliber markings, and most do, that is all that is needed

Hey Guys... does anyone know of another place to get engraving done besides Jack's? I only have time during the weekends to do this and they're only open M-F. And it looks like Integrity Laser in Merrimack no longer does engraving.

Thanks in advance!

I've never heard that a trust can't be abbreviated. ....

Try submitting your Form 1 with an abbreviated trust name and let us know if it gets approved. Best information available says the engraving needs to match the Form 1.

Orion arms didn't think it was a problem. Gun has since been sold to zero hour arms and is for sale in his store in Easton ma. I think he is asking $5500 for it.

I got really bored with 9mm subguns

Should get something in 45 (if they ever finally release it)

image.jpg

So...I need to get my lower engraved as well as I will be putting my first SBR together shortly

Looking through this thread and others, and thinking about consolidating everything into a list - here is what I see as options for engraving

What am I missing and what can we add to this list? Thanks in advance. Please edit and add as necessary

Jack's Machine Shop
Hanson, MA
http://www.jacksmachine.com/laser-marking-engraving.html
$65
7am - 5pm Monday - Friday
> Responsive, highly recommended, will do while you wait but call ahead

GNW Laser
Woburn, MA
http://www.gnwlaser.com/laser_service/laser_service.html
Cost? $30-$40
Hours?
>A couple of threads mentions they are good, but per above maybe some recent issues (?)

Nltor Laser
Southwick, MA
http://www.nitorlaser.com/index.php?page=firearms
$20? (in another thread)
Hours?
> In another thread mentioned easy to work with and quality work

Integrity Laser
Nashua, NH
http://ilasernh.com/
$90?
Hours?
> Mentioned as good quality work but expensive - since they are closest to me, I have tried to contact them for past two weeks with no response

I believe GNW does it (Woburn)- I was going to pop off an email to them as well to see about pricing - if you contact them let me know what you hear.

http://www.gnwlaser.com/

I believe the ATF was giving him trouble over lack of FFL....

That is a complete non-issue if the customer waits with the firearm.

If they were letting people drop off, its a legitimate issue.

By the way. If you don't care how it looks in most cases you can use a standard impact engraver. I confirmed this with an ATF inspector. Even the cheapest engraver makes a sufficiently deep dot in aluminum.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-290-05...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Don

Last edited:
That is a complete non-issue if the customer waits with the firearm.

If they were letting people drop off, its a legitimate issue.

By the way. If you don't care how it looks in most cases you can use a standard impact engraver. I confirmed this with an ATF inspector. Even the cheapest engraver makes a sufficiently deep dot in aluminum.

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-290-05...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Don

Yeah, definitely only if you don't care how it looks. I tried one of those on some scrap aluminum first, and I couldn't get it to look like anything but crap. Others may have better luck.

Between the poor look and my inability to measure the depth, I ended up paying professionals to have my stuff engraved.

In order to put some time perspective into all of this, I put 2 lowers and 4 suppressor tubes into the mail on Saturday, Mar 26, and they shipped back to me today, 29 Mar. I'll have them in my hands Thursday, 31 Mar. That kind of turn-around puts a whole new light on how long I want to wait for a local engraver to get to my stuff.

In order to put some time perspective into all of this, I put 2 lowers and 4 suppressor tubes into the mail on Saturday, Mar 26, and they shipped back to me today, 29 Mar. I'll have them in my hands Thursday, 31 Mar. That kind of turn-around puts a whole new light on how long I want to wait for a local engraver to get to my stuff.

That's pretty impressive - how did you send them? Normal mail?

Back
Top Bottom