• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NFA SBR engraving in Mass

I do have a laser and and Cnc engraver I can use . The problem is normally it needs to be in metal . Look at most polymer guns they have a metal plate with the serial number . I thought nfa stuff was the same .

Matt
Find out what other evo owners have done.

If it don't need to be on metal I can help you out Matt but it would be a late night thing .

Is that code for something?

Kind of funny this comes up now. Last week I talked to a woman who wanted some text and a graphic engraved on an AR they were going to purchase for their son as a (what looked like) grad gift. After talking to me, they ended up buying an M&P .22 rifle, which is all polymer. So her, her husband, and their two younger kids all drove an hour yesterday to get here, only for me to tell them that I can't engrave plastic.

I felt terrible.

Yeah, Jacks has done all of mine and I am really pleased with the placement on the magwell lip. The engraving is obvious yet unobtrusive and professionally done.

They also engraved an image on my wife's lower that is deep enough to be filled or coated over.

Great guys.

I just sent mine to Tar Heel State firearms - just about a week turnaround from door to door - they did a good job last time engraving in the trigger well. I think I posted some pictures a page or two back

ETA: $35 for engraving, $12 to ship it there and $15 flat fee to ship back

Not really about cost saving per se for me - just hard to find time from work to do it locally, so happy with this option to send it out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Yeah, Jacks has done all of mine and I am really pleased with the placement on the magwell lip. The engraving is obvious yet unobtrusive and professionally done.

They also engraved an image on my wife's lower that is deep enough to be filled or coated over.

Great guys.
Jack's is pretty pricey though... $75 or something?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Jack's is pretty pricey though... $75 or something?

I had a pile of engraving so we worked something out. If you look online, that is a tad high but not abnormally so. It really comes down to what you want: If you simply want cheap engraving to satisfy the ATF, this isn't the place to go.

If you waited 9 months, paid an extra $200, and want an elegant solution done right because you place long term value in your weapon, then this is the place.

$0.02

Cost, time, quality: Choose two.

I had a pile of engraving so we worked something out. If you look online, that is a tad high but not abnormally so. It really comes down to what you want: If you simply want cheap engraving to satisfy the ATF, this isn't the place to go.

If you waited 9 months, paid an extra $200, and want an elegant solution done right because you place long term value in your weapon, then this is the place.

$0.02

Cost, time, quality: Choose two.
Idk $30 having it done at GNW while I waited - 20 minutes in and out - was good enough for me and up to ATF standards. Elegance doesn't matter to me as I was expecting the lower to get scuffed up from use.

Last edited:
What's the difference between "cheap" engraving and "elegant" engraving? Harry @ GNW is extremely convenient for me, price is reasonable, and he's fast. To simply engrave your trust name, is there even a difference? Font options or something? I know nothing about engraving (obviously).

Location, depth, font type & size, and non text engraving (images).

Like I wrote above: It comes down to why you want the engraving done and what factors are at play.

Location, depth, font type & size, and non text engraving (images).

Like I wrote above: It comes down to why you want the engraving done and what factors are at play.
I agree. I knew this lower would probably see more abuse than any other I have so cheap and convenience were my two deciding factors with GNW.

What's the difference between "cheap" engraving and "elegant" engraving? Harry @ GNW is extremely convenient for me, price is reasonable, and he's fast. To simply engrave your trust name, is there even a difference? Font options or something? I know nothing about engraving (obviously).

Cheap can be as cheap as this.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VZIGA0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works and can engrave to a legal depth, at least in aluminum it can.

71oyyHsXuuL._SL1500_.jpg

lol it didn't stay white for long but you're right, no reason for it to stand out like that. Force of habit I guess and it's easily remedied, I never thought about it after the engraving.

Guy who works at Jack's Machine here.

Yea we came up with the pricing just looking around online and finding an average, $65, with a discount if you bring multiple. Also remember there's no shipping charges, and you get to see it done and give any input, etc.

We actually just got an FFL. I have no idea is there's certain kinds or what, but we got something. A guy bought the place early last year, he was head of manufacturing at Sig for like 10 years, so he has a lot of contacts in the industry, I think he wants to start doing other firearms work.

Back
Top Bottom