NFA SBR engraving in Mass

isn't there something in the regulation that says it has to be in plain site? could have been BS that a guy was telling me(i wanted mine under the trigger guard initially)

I believe the wording is: "...must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch."

I hope I'm in the clear since there is nothing obstructing my engraving and it's in plain view (if you turn the lower to the side). [grin]

I believe the wording is: "...must be placed in such a manner that they are wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch."

I hope I'm in the clear since there is nothing obstructing my engraving and it's in plain view (if you turn the lower to the side). [grin]

Yeah, basically you can't put it somewhere where it's covered up when the gun is assembled (like where the grip slides onto the lower). Even though my engraving is "under" the trigger guard, you can still plainly see without taking anything off.

I plan on coming by with two lowers. You dont happen to do barrel threading, do you?

(I'm assuming you're talking to me)

No, sorry. We don't do much in the way of conventional machining (turning, milling).

If you are planning on coming by, make sure you call first. The laser is actually going to be tied up into early next week with a long running job.

anyone know of a place that would engrave a polymer receiver? just called jacks and he couldnt do it. im located in south shore ma

Yea, unfortunately, as far as I know, there aren't any lasers that can do a clean deep engrave on plastic. It's gotta be mechanical engraving, or molded when it's first made.

Also, our laser is open for business again!

sending the receiver to TBostic. He has done numerous engravings on this type of firearm so i know it will be in good hands.

mailed it out monday. Getting it back tomorrow. Looks fantastic.
smfv6e.jpg

Just want to bump this thread up. I've done a few lowers in the past few weeks, and this stuff is pretty much by word of mouth, so just want to keep the word out there.

Another "Thumbs Up" for Jack's Machine Shop. They did an excellent job engraving two lowers for me this morning. Was in and out of there in under 30 minutes--sure beats shipping lowers out of state and waiting. Great customer service from Mike and Bill!

Oh, I mentioned it in the picture thread but I forgot to post here. While I'm sure Jacks is good, for those of us on the other side of the state I would highly recommend Nitor Laser in Southwick, MA.

Another "Thumbs Up" for Jack's Machine Shop. They did an excellent job engraving two lowers for me this morning. Was in and out of there in under 30 minutes--sure beats shipping lowers out of state and waiting. Great customer service from Mike and Bill!

I'll have two or three in the coming months I'd rather not ship (the wait makes me a nervous wreck). Not to mention I'd rather support local businesses. They aren't NFA though.

Oh, I mentioned it in the picture thread but I forgot to post here. While I'm sure Jacks is good, for those of us on the other side of the state I would highly recommend Nitor Laser in Southwick, MA.

Yea, I meant to respond to your PM, whoops! It looked like they could take care of anything you needed to get done, good to know they treated you good.

I'll have two or three in the coming months I'd rather not ship (the wait makes me a nervous wreck). Not to mention I'd rather support local businesses. They aren't NFA though.

There's no reason we can't do any non-NFA engraving if anyone is looking to get that done. Hell, we could do logos and that kind of thing as long as we had the artwork for it.

Hi Bill,

What formats can you accept artwork in? Thanks.
Ideally, a vector of some sort (SVG, DXF). I've self taught myself enough to trace a raster (BMP, JPG) and make a vector out of it, but that can get pretty difficult and time consuming if it's a complicated design.

Yeap, that would work. Personally, I've always used Inkscape - https://inkscape.org/en/. It's free and I was able to figure out a lot of stuff with no real graphic design knowledge.

I'm born and raised in Hanson and I never knew there was a local shop doing laser engraving. When my next stamp comes in I'll be shooting you a pm. I'm assuming your towards whitman with the 447 number?

I'm born and raised in Hanson and I never knew there was a local shop doing laser engraving. When my next stamp comes in I'll be shooting you a pm. I'm assuming your towards whitman with the 447 number?

Yup. We're on 27 right by where it intersects 14. Hanson Commerce Center.

20141208_045241.jpg
This may be a silly detail, but my work has a Dot marking machine. Would these be acceptable if they met the size and depth requirements? Basically is there some verbiage that I am not seeing that requires a solid line for the font.

Back
Top Bottom