• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NFA SBR engraving in Mass

I'm assuming you are talking about "manufacturing" an SBR and/or a rifle from an incomplete lower. I did't have to put anything on my Bushmaster when I made it into an SBR.

when you created the rifle, YOU were then the manufacturer of the firearm as a NFA item and you need to have it engraved with your name/trust/LLC name. what did you put on the form 1?

if i am incorrect, someone please correct me.

I just put all the info already on the receiver. I even contacted the ATF office in Hartford, Ct and they told me (in writing) that I did not have to put my name,address,etc on the gun. Think about it, if I ever want to sell it, who would want a gun with someone's name and address on it. If I ever want to make it a non SBR I contact the ATF, send back my stamp, and get rid of the SBR upper.

I just put all the info already on the receiver. I even contacted the ATF office in Hartford, Ct and they told me (in writing) that I did not have to put my name,address,etc on the gun. Think about it, if I ever want to sell it, who would want a gun with someone's name and address on it. If I ever want to make it a non SBR I contact the ATF, send back my stamp, and get rid of the SBR upper.

I'd be interested in seeing that letter. Do you happen to have a copy of it you could post (with your personal info redacted, of course)?

can you scan and post the letter? relevant information to you personally can be blacked out, of course. i am genuinely curious here.

Everything I have read indicates that the maker or manufacturer of an SBR must engrave their name and city, state. There does not appear to be any exception for SBRs made from an existing Title I receiver (like a stripped AR lower). You, as the person filing the Form 1, are the maker of a firearm, and therefore must adhere to the identification guidelines.

Here is the text from ATF 5300.4. I have bolded the relevant portions. Since a complete lower already has a serial number, model, and caliber markings on it, you as the maker of the SBR only have to engrave your name (or trust name) and city, state.

§ 479.102 How must firearms be
identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, im-
porter, or maker
of a firearm, must
legibly identify the firearm as fol-
lows:
(1) By engraving, casting,
stamping (impressing), or other-
wise conspicuously placing or
causing to be engraved, cast,
stamped (impressed) or placed on
the frame or receiver thereof an
individual serial number. The se-
rial number must be placed in a
manner not susceptible of being
readily obliterated, altered, or re-
moved, and must not duplicate
any serial number placed by you
on any other firearm. For firearms
manufactured, imported, or made
on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamp-
ing (impressing) of the serial
number must be to a minimum
depth of .003 inch and in a print
size no smaller than 1/16 inch;
and
(2) By engraving, casting,
stamping (impressing), or other-
wise conspicuously placing or
causing to be engraved, cast,
stamped (impressed), or placed
on the frame, receiver, or barrel
thereof certain additional informa-
tion. This information must be
placed in a manner not suscepti-
ble of being readily obliterated, al-
tered or removed. For firearms
manufactured, imported, or made
on and after January 30, 2002,
the engraving, casting, or stamp-
ing (impressing) of this informa-
tion must be to a minimum depth
of .003 inch. The additional infor-
mation includes:
(i) The model, if such desig-
nation has been made;
(ii) The caliber or gauge;
(iii) Your name (or recog-
nized abbreviation) and also,
when applicable, the name of
the foreign manufacturer or
maker;
(iv) In the case of a domes-
tically made firearm, the city
and State
(or recognized ab-
breviation thereof) where you
as the manufacturer maintain
your place of business, or
where you, as the maker, made
the firearm
; and
(v) In the case of an im-
ported firearm, the name of the
country in which it was manu-
factured and the city and State
(or recognized abbreviation
thereof) where you as the im-
porter maintain your place of
business. For additional re-
quire-ments relating to im-
ported firearms, see Customs
regulations at 19 CFR part 134.
(b) The depth of all markings
required by this section will be
measured from the flat surface of
the metal and not the peaks or
ridges. The height of serial numbers
required by paragraph (a)(1) of this
section will be measured as the
distance between the latitudinal
ends of the character impression
bottoms (bases).
(c) The Director may authorize
other means of identification upon
receipt of a letter application from
you, submitted in duplicate, showing
that such other identification is rea-
sonable and will not hinder the ef-
fective administration of this part.
(d) In the case of a destructive
device, the Director may authorize
other means of identifying that
weapon upon receipt of a letter ap-
plication from you, submitted in du-
plicate, showing that engraving,
casting, or stamping (impressing)
such a weapon would be dangerous
or impracticable.
(e) A firearm frame or receiver
that is not a component part of a
complete weapon at the time it is
sold, shipped, or otherwise disposed
of by you must be identified as re-
quired by this section.
(f)(1) Any part defined as a ma-
chine gun, muffler, or silencer for the
purposes of this part that is not a
component part of a complete fire-
arm at the time it is sold, shipped, or
otherwise disposed of by you must
be identified as required by this
section.
(2) The Director may authorize
other means of identification of
parts defined as machine guns
other than frames or receivers
and parts defined as mufflers or
silencers upon receipt of a letter
application from you, submitted in
duplicate, showing that such other
identification is reasonable and
will not hinder the effective ad-
ministration of this part.

There is your problem... thats not a question for a field office, such a question should be directed to the tech branch not a field office, and they would have told you the correct answer. You need to mark the firearm, if you are on the Form 1 you need to mark the firearm as you are the maker.

If I ever want to make it a non SBR I contact the ATF, send back my stamp, and get rid of the SBR upper.

Now thats just plain BS... there is no sending back of tax stamps...

And the consensus is the name must be as it was on the form 1... no abbreviations. I used my full middle name, hoping I don't have any fitment issues.

Also, nobody in MA does this as of yet, right? I'll probably just have ident do it.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

And the consensus is the name must be as it was on the form 1... no abbreviations. I used my full middle name, hoping I don't have any fitment issues.

Also, nobody in MA does this as of yet, right? I'll probably just have ident do it.

Mike

I sent mine to Ident. Turnaround was super fast and the engraving is perfect.

I'm selling my house and moving in a few weeks, after that I will focus more attention to my machine and when ready you can have something engraved while you wait.

A man can dream... about 2 months down...

Mike

Sent in my paper work August, called a couple weeks back and they said it would be processed around July. Obviously just an estimate, but be prepared to wait nearly a year.

Guess next xmas will be a merry one...

So can you just call and ask for an estimate?

Also if I move before its done processing should I just wait for my mail to be forwarded (in state) and then do a change of address post engraving?

Mike

Guess next xmas will be a merry one...

So can you just call and ask for an estimate?

Also if I move before its done processing should I just wait for my mail to be forwarded (in state) and then do a change of address post engraving?

Mike

don't engrave it before you move, because once you move the engraving will be wrong. so will your originally submitted form 1.

they will kick it back with the address is wrong and the information to be engraved on the firearm is wrong (wrong address).

OTOH if I just wait to get the form 1 back (mail fwding) I can fill out the change of address after the fact.... staying in state of we move.

Mike

Just want to say, since I've posted in this thread a couple times, I've done engraving on 5 or so SBR lowers. Just had another guy call this morning asking about it. They all say they heard about it here, so just figured I'd bump the thread!

Just want to say, since I've posted in this thread a couple times, I've done engraving on 5 or so SBR lowers. Just had another guy call this morning asking about it. They all say they heard about it here, so just figured I'd bump the thread!

Thanx for doing the engraving, it came out awesome. I highly recommend Jacks Machine Co. for laser engraving, i will be back with future SBR's.

Back
Top Bottom