• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newton Gun Shop getting pushback

I'm not unsympathetic to how draining it must be doing his job. But that doesn't make his word absolute, as he tried to say it was.
That was part of what almost got me to pipe up. I've had friends who are medics working with the same patients, who also advocate for carry. But I'm not, not have I ever been, a resident of Newton so I didn't feel qualified to interject.

I didnt know they were building. Damn. I hope they prevail.
At a minimum they were adding the security features that MA requires you to have in a firearms shop. Things like secure doors and windows. That might be why the didn’t pull a building permit. I wouldn’t think those types of charges (swapping out doors and windows) would require a permit, but they probably do in Newton

It’s beyond me why EVERY Jew isn’t a 30-gun toting 20,000 round ammo hording hardcore 2A supporter.

If my lineage had a history of surrendering arms and getting 6M of my relatives subsequently wiped out in death camps by satanic f***ing Nazi psychopaths, I would take VERY seriously the mantra “NEVER AGAIN”.

And I sure as hell wouldn’t be VOTING for tyrannical communists who want to disarm me.
I asked my BIL, of Jewish ancestry, the same question..why do Jews, generally, tend to vote for Dems? His response was along the lines of “the Jews tend to vote to be inclusive, not as in the recent “diversity and inclusion” sense although somewhat similar in nature, but rather Jews historically, being on the outside looking in, are sympathetic to others who may also end up being treated that way as a result of policy (supposed anti-immigration, anti-welfare, etc.) of the right. Perhaps there is not a realization that the Dem platform uses the Jews but will throw them under the bus whenever expedient. The Jews are the lowest in the pecking order of Dem special interest groups..they are taken for granted as a voting block. You get what you vote for. From my perspective I agree that the GOP would be a better fit for Jews but what do I know..

Serious question (for once)

Could the FFL open TWO establishments, one in Newton, selling every BUT firearms or components that require an FFL/Background checks and a second location (perhaps at the Mill) that would facilitate "those" sales.

I'm not suggesting it as a permanent solution, but it should let him continue the build out, open the shop and begin doing business by summer. Meanwhile, he continues the process of battling the city to acknowledge that his retail use case predates the zoning changes that would look to prevent his business from operating.

And the next NES'er to win the lottery (as someone suggested above) they need to fund Jack's Second Mill in newton...

Serious question (for once)

Could the FFL open TWO establishments, one in Newton, selling every BUT firearms or components that require an FFL/Background checks and a second location (perhaps at the Mill) that would facilitate "those" sales.

I'm not suggesting it as a permanent solution, but it should let him continue the build out, open the shop and begin doing business by summer. Meanwhile, he continues the process of battling the city to acknowledge that his retail use case predates the zoning changes that would look to prevent his business from operating.

And the next NES'er to win the lottery (as someone suggested above) they need to fund Jack's Second Mill in newton...
the proposed zoning applies to all accessories associated with firearms - including holsters, etc.

the proposed zoning applies to all accessories associated with firearms - including holsters, etc.
So no more lock box, safes, locking luggage, combination lock, machine oil/solvents, cotton swab, brass rod/tube, leatherwork, optics, binoculars, flashlight, lasers, luggage strap/sling, ear/ear protection sales in Newton?

What a real dog and pony show that was last night... Though there were a few pro-gun shop individuals who spoke very well and made great points why the fears and outright panic among some of the others were misplaced and unfounded. Won't do anything to change anybody's mind but they were very brave and I'm sure will now be on a list... There is no way this shop will open in that location or based on the complete farce of the zoning proposal, they won't be able to open anywhere else in the city without lengthy and costly legal challenges.

All the complaining aside, I joined late so I didn't hear everyone. My understanding is that the Liberal Gun Club is based in Newton...did they have anyone there?

What a real dog and pony show that was last night... Though there were a few pro-gun shop individuals who spoke very well and made great points why the fears and outright panic among some of the others were misplaced and unfounded. Won't do anything to change anybody's mind but they were very brave and I'm sure will now be on a list... There is no way this shop will open in that location or based on the complete farce of the zoning proposal, they won't be able to open anywhere else in the city without lengthy and costly legal challenges.

If the owner is going to fight he needs to fight with his current location as the previous zoning requirements still stand.

I spoke last night. I wasn't going to at first, but once I started hearing other pro-gun folks on the call, it gave me confidence to speak myself. I mentioned that I'm not going to change anyone's mind on guns, but perhaps I can explain why everyone should be worried about weaponizing zoning laws to target any business (and the racist history of zoning laws, especially in "Rich White Newton"). I almost said "What would scare you more: a gunshop next door, or having a Black neighbor?"

I spoke last night. I wasn't going to at first, but once I started hearing other pro-gun folks on the call, it gave me confidence to speak myself. I mentioned that I'm not going to change anyone's mind on guns, but perhaps I can explain why everyone should be worried about weaponizing zoning laws to target any business (and the racist history of zoning laws, especially in "Rich White Newton"). I almost said "What would scare you more: a gunshop next door, or having a Black neighbor?"
It’s good you spoke hope, even in a hopeless cause.

Swift Quote.jpg

If the owner is going to fight he needs to fight with his current location as the previous zoning requirements still stand.

I am not at all informed of how things work but in my town this was exactly what happened, an establishment was contested, they stood and fought and won, if they had backed out it would have allowed the town to change the zoning rules and that would have been that.

I have said it a few times but I seriously hope they get a good lawyer and take this all the way to the supreme court if need be and teach Newton and other towns like it a lesson

I am not at all informed of how things work but in my town this was exactly what happened, an establishment was contested, they stood and fought and won, if they had backed out it would have allowed the town to change the zoning rules and that would have been that.

I have said it a few times but I seriously hope they get a good lawyer and take this all the way to the supreme court if need be and teach Newton and other towns like it a lesson
My understanding is that Jason Guida is involved. Hopefully this means we start seeing fund raising requests sooner or later

Just your typical ignorant brainwashed liberal sheeple. These clowns are total fanatics who would probably refuse to carry a gun to protect themselves.

Just your typical ignorant brainwashed liberal sheeple. These clowns are total fanatics who would probably refuse to carry a gun to protect themselves.
You're absolutely right. Most would rather be victims than actually make an effort to defend themselves. Exhibit A was the fragile woman who said she has a restraining order against her abusive husband and fears a gun store in Newton would put her more at risk if he decides to buy a gun there. Hard to put yourself in her shoes I'm sure, but maybe a gun and proper training would help her to actually defend herself and he kids so she wouldn't have to live in fear all the time...

But they'd fight you for the last case of bottled water, even when their home tap water is still running but there's a "boil water order" in effect.😆 Refrence to Weston 36 inch water main break several years ago. The city was handing out free bottled water to people who's water was still on, but were too damned lazy ( read too good ) to throw a pot or two on the stove and boil a couple of gallons to drink for the day.

Ever wonder how many years ( decades ) that illegal rooming houses were being tolerated around all the college campuses there?

Last edited:
You're absolutely right. Most would rather be victims than actually make an effort to defend themselves. Exhibit A was the fragile woman who said she has a restraining order against her abusive husband and fears a gun store in Newton would put her more at risk if he decides to buy a gun there. Hard to put yourself in her shoes I'm sure, but maybe a gun and proper training would help her to actually defend herself and he kids so she wouldn't have to live in fear all the time...
Unfortunately, teaching people to flip that switch is almost as hard as getting them to do it on their own. Realizing that you can be the user of violence without being a bad person is foreign to many.

Nobody bothered to tell her that her husband would be unable to buy a gun due to the RO?

Nobody bothered to tell her that her husband would be unable to buy a gun due to the RO?
But, but, but.....anyone can just order one off the internet! 😄😆
That's another thing:
Newton needs to mandate Intarweb filters on all broadband providers,
so that no one can order an Intarweb gun.

Back
Top Bottom