• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Newton and Waltham how likely for them to issue machine gun license?

Go to the PD. Ask for their requirements. Waltham has alarm, safe, and inspection requirements. Get your 03 FFL. Apply and comply with requirements. If denied be prepared to sue. You have 2 avenues: the agency not following their own requirements or bruen. The "denial on your record for the rest of your life" is a deepity; sounds profound but is nonsense.

Last edited:
Go to the PD. Ask for their requirements. Waltham has alarm, safe, and inspection requirements. Get your 03 FFL. Apply and comply with requirements. If denied be prepared to sue. You have 2 avenues: the agency not following their own requirements or bruen. The "denial on your record for the rest of your life" is a deepity; sounds profound but is nonsense.
Thank you! You have to have 03 ffl? Inspection requirements is that they need to come to your house to inspect it?

How close are you with the mayor?

Oh snap. I'm pretty close with our current mayor.

If only I gave a crap about a machine gun lic. I did 20 years ago. I figured it was a good investment. Pretty glad I didn't. Prices have not tripled in 20 years. I had a theory that full-auto would rise faster than the stock market. It did not.

I'd still love an MP40. Just because of movies when I was a kid.

Thank you! You have to have 03 ffl? Inspection requirements is that they need to come to your house to inspect it?

Yes and yes.

(o) No person shall be issued a license to carry or possess a machine gun in the commonwealth, except that a licensing authority or the colonel of state police may issue a machine gun license to:

(i) a firearm instructor certified by the municipal police training committee for the sole purpose of firearm instruction to police personnel;

(ii) a bona fide collector of firearms upon application or upon application for renewal of such license.

Bona Fide Collectors of Firearms. A '"bona fide collector of firearms," for the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license, shall be defined as an individual who acquires firearms for such lawful purposes as historical significance, display, research, lecturing, demonstration, test firing, investment or other like purpose. For the purpose of issuance of a machine gun license the acquisition offirearms for sporting use or for use as an offensive or defensive weapon shall not qualify an applicant as a bona fide collector of firearms. An individual licensed pursuant to 18 U.S.C. c. 44, §§ 921-929 and 27 CFR Part 178 shall be deemed a bona fide collector of firearms for the purpose of 501 CMR 6.00.

No, absolutely not.
Nobody is going to come to your house to inspect anything. As an 03 collector, you can arrange to meet the ATF anywhere for them to inspect your records......the likelihood of it ever happening is about ZERO.

For who? An FFL Dealer or the joe blow machinegun owner? There's no fvcking way any police department is entering my home to inspect anything, EVER.
The very stipulation as a requirement for licensing is a violation of one's 4th amendment rights.

Marblehead requests an inspection to check your storage. They don't ask to open anything, but they want to see a "safe" bolted to the ground. You're welcome to tell them to pound sand, they just won't issue the license. While it's a PITA and NoT iN tHe StAtuTe, they tend to be pretty lenient about other parts of the statute (or at least they used to be).

View attachment 816377

It means stop trying to slide into my DMs Boomer
How about you reading and understanding the laws with regard to issuance of a machinegun license in MA. instead of just blanketly insulting someone who had one probably before you were born?

There is no inspection requirements prescribed in any MA law with regard to obtaining a machinegun license. An applicant must have an unrestricted LTC and either conform to being an instructor or have a type 03 collector's license

Marblehead requests an inspection to check your storage. They don't ask to open anything, but they want to see a "safe" bolted to the ground. You're welcome to tell them to pound sand, they just won't issue the license. While it's a PITA and NoT iN tHe StAtuTe, they tend to be pretty lenient about other parts of the statute (or at least they used to be).
They are in violation of the law.

You do not need a C&R FFL. However, it is the easiest way to show/proof you are a collector. There is almost no way to prove you are a machine gun police instructor unless you are, and I am not sure there are that many. When I applied for my machine gun license in Springfield I did not have a C&R they just asked me the reason for applying and I told them I was a collector. I was never asked for any proof. My application was accepted and i received my licence in about 3 months. No hassle no problem. There was never
any requirement by the city to do any kind of home inspection and this was not ever mentioned. That was 15 years ago. I have since got my C&R FFL just because i wanted it. I have renewed twice in the town I live in now without any kind of problem or any C&R or home inspection requirement. This doesn't mean that your local police in your town do not have this as a requirement because they can make up their own rules and requirements. I really think the reason there are only around 3500 machine gun licences in the state is because people don't ask. In fact the town I live in only has 5 and I am sure that is because no one applies. Ask your town what is required to apply the worst that can happen is they tell you they do not issue.

Last edited:
They are in violation of the law.
Move to town and give it a go. I haven't gotten an MGL because I don't care to, so not my battle. Last I checked, green cards are "may issue" not "shall issue" so I'll leave the fight up to the JD's that make a lot more than I do per hour.

Requirements vary from town to town. It can be easy, difficult or impossible. What the law says means nothing. They do what they want and if you don't like it, too bad. If you have an abundance of time and money, you can sue them. Good luck with that.

Requirements vary from town to town. It can be easy, difficult or impossible. What the law says means nothing. They do what they want and if you don't like it, too bad. If you have an abundance of time and money, you can sue them. Good luck with that.

This is the truth and I don't think a green card is shall issue, it's may issue.

Some towns will just say no, others do require an inspection of your security setup. They won't inspect your guns, but they claim it's for security reasons to see your location.

Others are better. When I first applied the licensing officer checked with the Chief first before submitting my paperwork. He wanted to make sure the Chief wouldn't deny it. Chief said as along as I meet all the requirements, then he'd sign off on it.

03FFL isn't a requirement, but it makes it easier to prove you're a collector for the application/license.

This is the truth and I don't think a green card is shall issue, it's may issue.

Some towns will just say no, others do require an inspection of your security setup. They won't inspect your guns, but they claim it's for security reasons to see your location.

Others are better. When I first applied the licensing officer checked with the Chief first before submitting my paperwork. He wanted to make sure the Chief wouldn't deny it. Chief said as along as I meet all the requirements, then he'd sign off on it.

03FFL isn't a requirement, but it makes it easier to prove you're a collector for the application/license.
Agreed.

So for all practical purposes, having an 03FFL is a "defacto requirement" for the average Joe to prove one is a "bonified collector". They won't accept a verbal confirmation, they want written documentation.
I do not know, nor have I ever in my life known anyone who was not a certified machinegun instructor working with or for a police agency who did not have a Type 03 Collectors FFL or other higher Type FFL that covered their possession or manufacture of a machinegun, that had a machinegun license issued to them in MA.
If you know someone who has had an MG license issued without being an instructor and without an 03 collector license please expound on it, city or town.

You do not need a C&R FFL. However, it is the easiest way to show/proof you are a collector. There is almost no way to prove you are a machine gun police instructor unless you are, and I am not sure there are that many. When I applied for my machine gun license in Springfield I did not have a C&R they just asked me the reason for applying and I told them I was a collector. I was never asked for any proof. My application was accepted and i received my licence in about 3 months. No hassle no problem. There was never
any requirement by the city to do any kind of home inspection and this was not ever mentioned. That was 15 years ago. I have since got my C&R FFL just because i wanted it. I have renewed twice in the town I live in now without any kind of problem or any C&R or home inspection requirement. This doesn't mean that your local police in your town do not have this as a requirement because they can make up their own rules and requirements. I really think the reason there are only around 3500 machine gun licences in the state is because people don't ask. In fact the town I live in only has 5 and I am sure that is because no one applies. Ask your town what is required to apply the worst that can happen is they tell you they do not issue.
I was told that I would be welcome to apply for my MG license if I wanted one. This came direct to my ears by the guy who was in charge of issuing all LTC’s. There were 2 in town that I knew of. I’m sure there were others but nobody talked.
I still have the 03 paperwork in my drawer.

I am not aware of any case in which the MA courts overturned a MG denial. If you hear of one, please post details as it would be significant news.

Agreed.

So for all practical purposes, having an 03FFL is a "defacto requirement" for the average Joe to prove one is a "bonified collector". They won't accept a verbal confirmation, they want written documentation.
I do not know, nor have I ever in my life known anyone who was not a certified machinegun instructor working with or for a police agency who did not have a Type 03 Collectors FFL or other higher Type FFL that covered their possession or manufacture of a machinegun, that had a machinegun license issued to them in MA.
If you know someone who has had an MG license issued without being an instructor and without an 03 collector license please expound on it, city or town.
ummm...three posts before the one you just replied to:

And to the OP. The state publishes the list of licenses by town. Find that data and look up newton and waltham to see if any green cards have been issued.

Nevermind. I searched

greencard.JPG

The 03 FL meets the state requirement to be a "bona fide collector". The only other valid reason for MG license issuance is "law enforcement trainer".

Wilmington, at least preliminarily, accepted my 03 FFL as proof that I'm a "bonafide" collector. Had my interview with the Lieutenant 2 weeks ago, he said it has to go to the Chief for review, haven't been denied yet...

Back
Top Bottom