New to this and I'm looking for something fun......

I've been shooting since I was little with my father but never went out and got my class A till now so I never had the chance to purchase guns. I recently got a P22 for a "fun gun". I like it and I'm glad I got it even though I read nothing great for reviews on it, but it is a cheap way to plink a few targets. BTW I have had no problems with it yet (over 3000 rounds thru it)

Anyway I'm on the market for a nicer gun with more power. Biggest I've shot was a .45 glock and it was fun to say the least. I've browsed the gun shops and magazines to find a new toy and everything I like has bad reviews(much like the P22) and I don't know what to get. so maybe some recommendations from you guys. He's a list of what I'm looking for.

1)handgun
2)Mass compliant
3)larger caliber so it has some kick (.22's need not apply haha)
4)low cost of ammo (I don't plan on running thousands of rounds thru this gun, just a few mags every time I hit the range with the plinker. so low cost to me will be around 25/30 bucks for a few mags worth)
5)Possible CCW. I don't feel I'll carry ever but I'd like a nicer gun if I decide to one day.
6)Nice looks!!
7) under 500 bucks

Any ideas?

9mm M&P w/trigger job.

Large caliber and cheap ammo do not go together.

You're going to get 50 different answers.

I agree with this.
Or if you can find a Glock 19, 17, 34, 26 (Also 9mm)

I like both of these because they are lightweight if you should need to carry it.

9mm ammo is relatively cheap compared to 40 and 45.

Yup, hard to go wrong with a 9mm M&P or Glock. Try both and pick the one that feels better in your hand. If you're going to have just one Glock for both range use and carry, I think the 19 is the best size.

The thing I don't like about my M&P vs my Glock: Takedown is difficult (relative to the Glock)

Not sure why you need to stick an instrument inside the gun to lift up a doohickey, then rotate the takedown lever. There are have been times when replacing the slide that it has gotten stuck. Kind of annoying. Maybe it need to be broken in or something.

The Glock I can take down in a split second.

The thing I don't like about my M&P vs my Glock: Takedown is difficult (relative to the Glock)

Not sure why you need to stick an instrument inside the gun to lift up a doohickey, then rotate the takedown lever. There are have been times when replacing the slide that it has gotten stuck. Kind of annoying. Maybe it need to be broken in or something.

The Glock I can take down in a split second.

I think the M&P takedown is easier than the Glock. You don't have to pull the slide back a tiny bit and then fiddle with the tiny little slidey things.

You don't need to use the 'takedown tool' to flip the sear deactivation lever (doohickey). I just use my fingernail.

I also think it's a great design safety wise. You have to lock the slide open before taking it down (to flip the 'doohickey') and you never have to pull the trigger.

Actually, the use of the sear release lever (that yellow lever inside the action) is OPTIONAL when disassembling an M&P.

Since I actually know that my pistol has to be empty to clean it, I simply lock the slide back, roll down the takedown lever on the side, slowly release the slide down to battery, pull the trigger (releasing the sear), then take the slide off the pistol.

Reassembly is the reverse.

9mm M&P w/trigger job.

Large caliber and cheap ammo do not go together.

You're going to get 50 different answers.

I think this is a good solution. 9mm is cheap and has valid defensive properties.

40 is also worth considering. A little more expensive and snappy but fun to shoot IMO.

Maybe a used 357 magnum revolver might do you. You can shoot 38 special ammo at the range at a reasonable cost. Great carry gun, very reliable.

Actually, the use of the sear release lever (that yellow lever inside the action) is OPTIONAL when disassembling an M&P.

Since I actually know that my pistol has to be empty to clean it, I simply lock the slide back, roll down the takedown lever on the side, slowly release the slide down to battery, pull the trigger (releasing the sear), then take the slide off the pistol.

Reassembly is the reverse.

You can remove that release lever?

I think the M&P takedown is easier than the Glock. You don't have to pull the slide back a tiny bit and then fiddle with the tiny little slidey things.

You don't need to use the 'takedown tool' to flip the sear deactivation lever (doohickey). I just use my fingernail.

I also think it's a great design safety wise. You have to lock the slide open before taking it down (to flip the 'doohickey') and you never have to pull the trigger.

You just hold the slide back a slight bit with one hand, and pull down. It comes off so easy. I can do it with my eyes closed.

I'm ok with pulling the trigger. No different than dry firing in a safe direction.

Last edited:
The glock disassembles faster, just pull the trigger. now your glock is in a thousand tiny pieces

The sear release can be removed on the M&P

just my opinion here but if you are going to consider a 40 cal, skip it and get a 45 acp. you can get a new ruger p345 at around $450. ive put about 500-600 rounds through mine since i got it this past sept and have no problems what so ever. i havent gotten out shooting as much as i like to because i spent three and a half weeks in the hospital. but by thanksgiving i will be back at the range again.

Removing it won't make it easier to disassemble. You still need to pull the trigger. Doesn't matter if it's in there or not.

I'd rather pull the trigger then use my pinky nail or a pen or other instrument laying around.
It's how the Glock is done so I'm already used to it.

Someone had to say it so I will:

Try a SIG 229. It's a nice compromise between a full sized gun and something that can be CC'd. It's not plastic, has a hammer vs a striker and takes down easier then the Glock OR the M&P.

Another vote for the Ruger P345. It's inexpensive new and relatively slim for CCW.

Also consider a used Beretta 92FS (around $550 nowadays new if you can go above 500). In my opinion it's one sexy beast.

Someone had to say it so I will:

Try a SIG 229. It's a nice compromise between a full sized gun and something that can be CC'd. It's not plastic, has a hammer vs a striker and takes down easier then the Glock OR the M&P.

Let me know where to find the under $500 Sigs.

Let me know where to find the under $500 Sigs.

With some patience in a free state, or in MA used.

Edit: Obviously, the OP isn't in a free state. But I've seen "Good" condition P228s for around 500$. There was one at Four Seasons 4-5 months ago, but I didn't know enough about Sigs to see that it was in good condition at the time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom