• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New to the surplus market

03roushs1 said:
I am pretty sure that the SKS was new now that I think about it. Are there any companies that make reproduction of these. I am torn between buying one of these guns or saving up for a new AR-15 that will run around $1000. Not sure, I still think the AR would be more fun, but I have never shot a SKS.

If you want an affordable rifle that shoots the .223 round thats reliable and dependable I would look for a Saiga sporter in .223. They run about $259 new and $220 used if you can find one but they do pop up every now and then. Its an AK designed rifle in a sporter wrapper and its more accurate than its ak brother. Then you can get an SKS too the 7,62x39 round is a hoot to shoot too. You definitely need both. Both guns will take a licking and keep on ticking in any type of weather too neither one will ever fail you.

03roushs1 said:
I am pretty sure that the SKS was new now that I think about it. Are there any companies that make reproduction of these. I am torn between buying one of these guns or saving up for a new AR-15 that will run around $1000. Not sure, I still think the AR would be more fun, but I have never shot a SKS.

If you want an affordable rifle that shoots the .223 round thats reliable and dependable I would look for a Saiga sporter in .223. They run about $259 new and $220 used if you can find one but they do pop up every now and then. Its an AK designed rifle in a sporter wrapper and its more accurate than its ak brother. Then you can get an SKS too the 7,62x39 round is a hoot to shoot too. You definitely need both. Both guns will take a licking and keep on ticking in any type of weather too neither one will ever fail you.

03roushs1 said:

but finding mags for a .223 ak is a bitch. and when they can be found and they arnt sold out they are pretty expensive.if you were gonna do somthign like that then i would go with a 5.45 ak. i have one and love it.

but finding mags for a .223 ak is a bitch. and when they can be found and they arnt sold out they are pretty expensive.if you were gonna do somthign like that then i would go with a 5.45 ak. i have one and love it.

If you're looking into buying an SKS, make sure you use a site like surplusrifle.com for take down and cleaning info. Little things like removing the firing pin for cleaning and degreasing can be tricky for a first time milsurp buyer. I just picked up a Yugo 59/66 from Classic Arms a week ago and even after 2 nights of removing cosmolene, one trip to the range made me realize I didn't get it all out as the bolt hold open wasn't engaging correctly.
The Yugo SKS rifles have the worst cosmolene i've ever seen. Its thick, caked on, and everywhere. A Chinese Norinco will shoot well and be easier to clean, ditto for a Russian one. The Yugo models are often brand new and un-issued (after rearsenaling that is) and the Norincos and Russians you'll find are usually clean since they're being sold by previous owners but they should still be fully cleaned and stripped down.
One thing is for certain... the easiest methods of removing milsurp cosmolene are 1. use a steam cleaner like the GE hand held Steamer that Wal Mart sells for $30, and 2. mix up a batch of Ed's Red for final scrubbing to keep parts protected and clean.

Back
Top Bottom