New to the surplus market

Hey guys, I am thinking of picking up an SKS, it will be about 199.99. I just don't know how they are. Anything wrong with them. I amnot sure of the manufacturer, I think it started with a C. I was also looking at a Surplus Mauser m48. But I don't know what to look for. This would be the first surplus military rifle I would be buying.

Hey guys, I am thinking of picking up an SKS, it will be about 199.99. I just don't know how they are. Anything wrong with them. I amnot sure of the manufacturer, I think it started with a C. I was also looking at a Surplus Mauser m48. But I don't know what to look for. This would be the first surplus military rifle I would be buying.

There are a few diffrent types of SKS's and here are some of the price ranges I have seen them go for. In general SKS are very good rifles and are a lot of fun to shoot.
There are ones Chinnese ones made by Norinco. $150-$275 range These are good one, haven't here of to many problems with them.
There are Yugoslavan one with the grenade lancher on it end. $80-$175 range. Some times the gas port on them leak and cause them to not fire right, but if you get one that is in very good condition this is usualy not a problem.
or Yugoslavan ones without the grenade lancher $150-$250 range, these are good ones, haven't heared of to many problems with them
There are Russian ones $250-$400 range, always a good chose, just about all of them are good, and good quality
Romanian ones $175-$250 range. Don't know much about them (I don't have one yet)
Albanian ones $90-$250 range, another good one.

The Mausers are just about always good. There are many many diffrent kinds out there so you would have to narrow down what kind it is (usally what country it was made for). Then I sure that someone that knows more about Mausers then I do could help you out.

There are a few diffrent types of SKS's and here are some of the price ranges I have seen them go for. In general SKS are very good rifles and are a lot of fun to shoot.
There are ones Chinnese ones made by Norinco. $150-$275 range These are good one, haven't here of to many problems with them.
There are Yugoslavan one with the grenade lancher on it end. $80-$175 range. Some times the gas port on them leak and cause them to not fire right, but if you get one that is in very good condition this is usualy not a problem.
or Yugoslavan ones without the grenade lancher $150-$250 range, these are good ones, haven't heared of to many problems with them
There are Russian ones $250-$400 range, always a good chose, just about all of them are good, and good quality
Romanian ones $175-$250 range. Don't know much about them (I don't have one yet)

The Mausers are just about always good. There are many many diffrent kinds out there so you would have to narrow down what kind it is (usally what country it was made for). Then I sure that someone that knows more about Mausers then I do could help you out.

$200 is high for most SKSs. be sure to clean the bolt thoroughly so as not to get a slam fire. except for Russians, all SKSs have free floating firing pins. this can set off weak primers upon closing the bolt. american ammo has softer primers. imported ammo has harder primers. ive only used imported with my Chinese and it has never malfunctioned

$200 is high for most SKSs. be sure to clean the bolt thoroughly so as not to get a slam fire. except for Russians, all SKSs have free floating firing pins. this can set off weak primers upon closing the bolt. american ammo has softer primers. imported ammo has harder primers. ive only used imported with my Chinese and it has never malfunctioned

The SKS is probably the best bang for the buck that you will find in a semiauto rifle. They are exceptionally well made, very rugged, simple to operate and field strip. They shoot cheap ammo.

They are not a long range gun, nor a target rifle. I can hit 4 inch clay pigeons at 100 yards pretty regularly just using my elbow as a prop on a bench. I only have a 100 yard range so I can't say beyond that but others report accuracy falls off at 200 yards or so. Even so, it'd be very easy to hit a human size target at 2-300 ards, just don't look for close groupings.

I have a 1967 Chinese made 'paratrooper' carbine size version. Most all countries of origin use chrome plated bores in their barrels, except for the Yugoslavian version wihich is not chromed.

I am very impressed by the quality of these cheap guns. Around here all SKS run about $200-250 that I've seen.

Not all Chinese are Norinco. Sometime after mine was made, most do turn out to be Norinco but mine is not. It's not marked with any import marks so I suspect it was a 'bringback'.

sks.jpg

The SKS is probably the best bang for the buck that you will find in a semiauto rifle. They are exceptionally well made, very rugged, simple to operate and field strip. They shoot cheap ammo.

They are not a long range gun, nor a target rifle. I can hit 4 inch clay pigeons at 100 yards pretty regularly just using my elbow as a prop on a bench. I only have a 100 yard range so I can't say beyond that but others report accuracy falls off at 200 yards or so. Even so, it'd be very easy to hit a human size target at 2-300 ards, just don't look for close groupings.

I have a 1967 Chinese made 'paratrooper' carbine size version. Most all countries of origin use chrome plated bores in their barrels, except for the Yugoslavian version wihich is not chromed.

I am very impressed by the quality of these cheap guns. Around here all SKS run about $200-250 that I've seen.

Not all Chinese are Norinco. Sometime after mine was made, most do turn out to be Norinco but mine is not. It's not marked with any import marks so I suspect it was a 'bringback'.

sks.jpg

sks.jpg

I am pretty sure that the SKS was new now that I think about it. Are there any companies that make reproduction of these. I am torn between buying one of these guns or saving up for a new AR-15 that will run around $1000. Not sure, I still think the AR would be more fun, but I have never shot a SKS.

I am pretty sure that the SKS was new now that I think about it. Are there any companies that make reproduction of these. I am torn between buying one of these guns or saving up for a new AR-15 that will run around $1000. Not sure, I still think the AR would be more fun, but I have never shot a SKS.

03roushs1 said:

One of each!! [wink]

Are you perhaps referring to the SKS being an import by Century?

03roushs1 said:

One of each!! [wink]

03roushs1 said:

One of each!! [wink]

Most of the SKS's I see around here appear to be newly refurbed, and unless the dealer takes them apart and cleans them up, they'll still have cosmo or grease in the internals. I guess some could be brand new, tho, it's hard to tell, they look so nice. They all pretty much look NIB.

As mentioned above, it is vital to get all the goop out of the bolt so the firing pin will not hang up and cause slam fires.

Get the SKS first, cause it's cheap and a lot of fun. Why wait to save up for an AR and miss out on the fun now?

Most of the SKS's I see around here appear to be newly refurbed, and unless the dealer takes them apart and cleans them up, they'll still have cosmo or grease in the internals. I guess some could be brand new, tho, it's hard to tell, they look so nice. They all pretty much look NIB.

As mentioned above, it is vital to get all the goop out of the bolt so the firing pin will not hang up and cause slam fires.

Get the SKS first, cause it's cheap and a lot of fun. Why wait to save up for an AR and miss out on the fun now?

LenS said:
03roushs1 said:

One of each!! [wink]

That has to be it, that sounds very familiar. I should pay more attention. I get so air headed when I walk into a store and see a whole wall of things I would love to buy. I don't know, I guess I will have to think about what I want. Thanks for the info.

LenS said:
03roushs1 said:

One of each!! [wink]

That has to be it, that sounds very familiar. I should pay more attention. I get so air headed when I walk into a store and see a whole wall of things I would love to buy. I don't know, I guess I will have to think about what I want. Thanks for the info.

LenS said:
03roushs1 said:

One of each!! [wink]

If it is used, and around 200 what should I look for. Is there only one kind that would be good for that price. I kind of want a used/surplus one. You know, a little piece of the history. I am going to go back to the store on Monday, and look to see more about it. I know it had the bayonet and the action looked pretty good. I do seem to remember some knicks in the stock. Should I look for something in better condition. It was not really bad by any means, but it was not, say 90% either. I know, alot of questions from the new guy. I appreciate all your help.

If it is used, and around 200 what should I look for. Is there only one kind that would be good for that price. I kind of want a used/surplus one. You know, a little piece of the history. I am going to go back to the store on Monday, and look to see more about it. I know it had the bayonet and the action looked pretty good. I do seem to remember some knicks in the stock. Should I look for something in better condition. It was not really bad by any means, but it was not, say 90% either. I know, alot of questions from the new guy. I appreciate all your help.

Back
Top Bottom