New to NES, New LTC holder looking for recommendations

Hi everyone, happy Easter. I am happy to have just joined NES and this is my 1st post. I have just received my LTC and I have purchased my 1st pistol, P320 X5 Legion, although can't pick it up at FFL currently. I am actually one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit filed by Comm2A on Thursday. I had 20% off at the Sig Proshop for taking my Handgun 101 class there. I shot that pistol up there and instantly fell in love with it, and caught the bug. It literally is all I think about now and spend hours on my phone researching stuff. Lol.

Anyway, I am looking to add a rifle and shotgun as soon as I am able to. I admit, I am a new shooter and trying to fumble between what is out there and what is compliant, and what are my needs. I am looking for recommendations for a rifle and a shotgun. I am not a hunter and see myself shooting mainly for sport. I have always been extremely competitive in anything I do. I would love to continue my education with classes and practice, so that I can get into some competitions. I know I will suck for awhile, but don't really care. Looks like a blast and everyone has to start somewhere.

My ultimate goal would be to enter 3 gun competitions. My buddy told me about told me about them, and after watching the 1st video, I knew that would be right up my alley. The rifle and shotgun that I ultimately purchase would hopefully be a good option for these type of events.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. This forum is awesome, and most of my research on compliance and recommendations has come directly from this site. I am glad to have joined.

Thanks, Dave

I forgot to mention, I hate buying shit just to buy it, and then regretting it and wishing I had spent more money on something better. I'd be willing to spend like 2k for a rifle and shotgun prior to any ammo. I believe this should get me some decent stuff. I'll probably be adding a 22 lr to these as well for practice. This is going to be an expensive habbit, but f*** it, it's fun as hell.

I've got a Mossberg 930 JM Pro for 3gun. They've got a weird reputation, either they're awesome or they suck. Mine sucked from the factory, it wouldn't feed right. I had two reputable gunsmiths work on it and neither could fix it. I sent it back to the factory finally and they turned it around incredibly quickly. It's now reliable. It's got some aftermarkets parts on it from OR3Gun. (OR3GUN - Competition Components).

I run an AR-15 as my rifle in 3gun, the one I run was an 80% lower and a bunch of aftermarket parts for the build, with a Primary Arms red dot on it.

Welcome, OP.

It sucks, but it may take a while for you to get into any sort of competition, as most placed are more or less closed down for many events. WHen things open up, I'd recommend visiting a few shoots, and see what they are using. If you post your general location, appropriate recommendations will come your way.

Many Clubs including mine, welcome new shooters to events such as this, and will loan toys to those that need them.

Welcome, OP.

It sucks, but it may take a while for you to get into any sort of competition, as most placed are more or less closed down for many events. WHen things open up, I'd recommend visiting a few shoots, and see what they are using. If you post your general location, appropriate recommendations will come your way.

Many Clubs including mine, welcome new shooters to events such as this, and will loan toys to those that need them.
Thanks for the info. I'm not in a rush to compete, as I have a lot to learn and practice prior to getting my feet wet. I just dont want to buy something to practice with to find out it isn't right for the competition, when I get to that point. I am up near Tyngsboro. I saw some threads I will check out some of the threads I saw here on 3 gun.

I would strongly suggest taking it slow and finding some experienced people to shoot with before jumping into purchasing anything else. You’ll be able to get a feel for what you like, what you shoot well, and just as importantly, what you don’t. Maybe shotguns just aren’t your thing, maybe you love skeet, etc. From my own experience, people here have been amazing about helping others out and showing them the ropes. You’ll learn a lot this way, meet some new people, and be able to make far more informed decisions.

My ultimate goal would be to enter 3 gun competitions. My buddy told me about told me about them, and after watching the 1st video, I knew that would be right up my alley. The rifle and shotgun that I ultimately purchase would hopefully be a good option for these type of events.

Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated. This forum is awesome, and most of my research on compliance and recommendations has come directly from this site. I am glad to have joined.

Thanks, Dave

Go to a couple of 3 gun shoots and see whos shooting what.
The pistol part you have hammered out. Is there a min/max distance for the rifle part? A.R. P.C.C setup maybe?
When in Rome, shoot what the Romans shoot.

I would strongly suggest taking it slow and finding some experienced people to shoot with before jumping into purchasing anything else. You’ll be able to get a feel for what you like, what you shoot well, and just as importantly, what you don’t. Maybe shotguns just aren’t your thing, maybe you love skeet, etc. From my own experience, people here have been amazing about helping others out and showing them the ropes. You’ll learn a lot this way, meet some new people, and be able to make far more informed decisions.
Good advise. I just have the itch to jump in head 1st. Probably a good thing I can't buy anything right now because I'd have to refinance my house with everything running through my mind.

I think you are right with getting a 10/22. I would always keep that and not be upset about the purchase I believe.
Yup, never gonna get rid of my 10/22. Light enough to carry for miles. Cheap to shoot. Price is right. Reliable. Lots of fun, set up 10 cans and see if you can get em all quickly.

The OP is legit. No need for the stupid hi maura crap. Unless of course that makes you feel “woke.” And a smart gunman man. LOL.
I assure you I am legit. Got my name all over the Lowell Sun and Boston Herald currently to help get guys back shooting and gun stores back open. I was curious what he was referring to, but makes sense now.

Apologies to your checkbook, I'll throw in a couple of thoughts. For pure fun and for converting those who are convinced that AR means assault rifle and is inherently evil because CNN said so, consider an M&P 15-22. Great accuracy out of the box, stupid fun, and extra Killy in appearance. Just love teaching newbies with one and then explaining that some think it should be banned .

Oh, and a 1911, or four.

Revolvers are good for trigger training too. Leave a round empty (or spent round if .22) and you will expose your natural anticipation flinch.

Apologies to your checkbook, I'll throw in a couple of thoughts. For pure fun and for converting those who are convinced that AR means assault rifle and is inherently evil because CNN said so, consider an M&P 15-22. Great accuracy out of the box, stupid fun, and extra Killy in appearance. Just love teaching newbies with one and then explaining that some think it should be banned .

Oh, and a 1911, or four.

Revolvers are good for trigger training too. Leave a round empty (or spent round if .22) and you will expose your natural anticipation flinch.
Great tips, thank you. Had been researching some dry firing techniques, but really like that revolver training idea. Sig was teaching a technique where you chamber 1 and remove mag, live fire, then dry fire and do it over and over. Now I need I revolver too. I'm definately getting divorced soon.

My wife and I make range time"date night". She understands now that concentration at the range forces me to push out all of the work and other distractions just to put a hole in a piece of paper, and the outcome is relaxation. A little range time then a nice bite to eat. Sometimes I even shoot as well as she does.

My wife and I make range time"date night". She understands now that concentration at the range forces me to push out all of the work and other distractions just to put a hole in a piece of paper, and the outcome is relaxation. A little range time then a nice bite to eat. Sometimes I even shoot as well as she does.
Tried that. Took her up to Manchester Firing on our anniversary actually. Got us an instructor so she would be comfortable. Thought she loved it, but said she had no interest doing. It again. Good newsis that she is supportive of me taking up the hobby.

I've got a Mossberg 930 JM Pro for 3gun. They've got a weird reputation, either they're awesome or they suck. Mine sucked from the factory, it wouldn't feed right. I had two reputable gunsmiths work on it and neither could fix it. I sent it back to the factory finally and they turned it around incredibly quickly. It's now reliable. It's got some aftermarkets parts on it from OR3Gun. (OR3GUN - Competition Components).

I run an AR-15 as my rifle in 3gun, the one I run was an 80% lower and a bunch of aftermarket parts for the build, with a Primary Arms red dot on it.
When are the new 940 JM Pro shotguns being released? That’s what I’d get if available.

Thanks for the info. I'm not in a rush to compete, as I have a lot to learn and practice prior to getting my feet wet. I just dont want to buy something to practice with to find out it isn't right for the competition, when I get to that point. I am up near Tyngsboro. I saw some threads I will check out some of the threads I saw here on 3 gun.

What's wrong with competing with a 10/22, an 870, and whatever pistol does the minimum, unless there is some rule against it? Person A's fancy dancy setup might not work for you. Person A's pistol might fit you. Person B's shotgun. Person C's rifle might be what you need. It's not like you're going to win the first time you show up. Watch an event or two. Participate in one when you are comfortable. I've never been told 'no' when I asked (politely) to touch something.

Get some training, hands on training, not internet 'self help' crap. If you are willing to dump a couple grand on guns, a couple training sessions should be no big deal. The biggest deal is to not learn bad habits, they are way harder to get rid of once they are ingrained.

Back
Top Bottom