New to Carry...couple of questions

Pissing Contest

This is why we should have a huge NES "How well do you really shoot?" thread. Not because shooting skill is automatically a test of knowledge, but it could settle this sort of stuff pretty fast.

I'm not afraid of it, nor am I suggesting the OP should be. Let's say you carry 365 days per year for 30 years. That's ~10,000 times to make a mistake. Extra steps are extra chances for a mistake. That's all.

If you can't unload a firearm safely 10,000 or even 100,000 times in your life then you should return them and get your money back. If you can do it right once you can do it right a million times. Or stop doing it!

I just don't like "extra" administrative handling of a gun for two reasons:

-It beats the s**t out of your ammo

-Its a waste of time.

I'd rather just pick it up and go. Sometimes I "pull/press check" for sanity.

If I -have- to do it, not a big deal, even if I had to do it all the time (which sometimes when dealing with the vehicle storage BS in MA, one has to do it constantly.. blah.

The "it might cause an ND" thing never crossed my mind, not even once.

The only way I can think of administrative handling increasing the possibility of an ND with a shooter that has his or her head screwed on straight, is if you have a firearm which is mechanically defective and wants to slam fire when chambering a round. Then you likely have bigger problems than administrative handling. Don't carry poorly maintained junk and this problem goes away.

-Mike

Last edited:
The only way I can think of administrative handling increasing the possibility of an ND with a shooter that has his or her head screwed on straight, is if you have a firearm which is mechanically defective and wants to slam fire when chambering a round. Then you likely have bigger problems than administrative handling. Don't carry poorly maintained junk and this problem goes away.

-Mike

You brought up a good point and then definitively shut it down. Just remember to point those PPKs in a safe direction when de-cocking [laugh]

Timber answered your question correctly in the 2nd post.

I don't think you're stupid. You can do whatever you want with your gun, but there's no compelling reason to unload it when you put it away. In fact, there's a compelling reason not to unload it when you put it away - if you ever need it, you're going to need it fast, and opening the safe and loading it takes longer than opening the safe and shooting it.

TY for the advice.

And thanks to Timber for the great explanation to go along with his advice.

Exactly. I just wanted to know if leaving it loaded for long periods of time is not advised. I like the idea of shooting it off every month or so.
I can say that I do constantly repeat the rules of safety in my head when handling my firearms. Although I am not afraid of handling firearms I do give them the respect that they deserve.
My apologies for starting the pissing contest and I very much appreciate all of the advice.

KP

Welcome to the (Disfunctional) family KingPing

Back
Top Bottom