• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Sig Legion P229 - trouble FTF all ammo

Lol of course it cycled. Who starts a thread bashing a gun they haven’t even shot? Wtf. I’ve only shot one legion and damned if it wasn’t the best Pistol I’ve ever shot. Hands down, no questions. f***ing fantastic

Thanks all.

Went to the range today and it cycled fine with various ball and a few different hollow points. It still feels a bit rough (almost like a double click) when I rack the slide slower than a film sling shot. If I pull it hard it racks everything ok now. Chambering with the slide release lever seems ok but still not as smooth as I would like.

I’m going to play with it for a week or two and then drive it up to Exeter. I’m not going to polish or monkey with any of the internals.

Mags are fully seated. Literally slammed them in to see if made a difference. Not really. Pushing up on the mag when racking does seem to smooth it out a bit so there may be something to the mag QC point.

Awesome - hopefully you have the same luck as I did with my Colt. I have 2 Sigs and haven’t experienced this issue, but some guns are finicky. If I can make a suggestion, take the slide off and re-lube that before you go to the range next time. Without intentionally starting a separate content war, I use Mobil 1 Syntec and have good success.

Awesome - hopefully you have the same luck as I did with my Colt. I have 2 Sigs and haven’t experienced this issue, but some guns are finicky. If I can make a suggestion, take the slide off and re-lube that before you go to the range next time. Without intentionally starting a separate content war, I use Mobil 1 Syntec and have good success.

Lol!! I won’t even use Mobil 1 in my car

Thanks all.

Went to the range today and it cycled fine with various ball and a few different hollow points. It still feels a bit rough (almost like a double click) when I rack the slide slower than a film sling shot. If I pull it hard it racks everything ok now. Chambering with the slide release lever seems ok but still not as smooth as I would like.

I’m going to play with it for a week or two and then drive it up to Exeter. I’m not going to polish or monkey with any of the internals.

Mags are fully seated. Literally slammed them in to see if made a difference. Not really. Pushing up on the mag when racking does seem to smooth it out a bit so there may be something to the mag QC point.

I didn't want to accuse you of riding the slide, because I don't know how much trigger time you have with pistols, but...

Cycle the slide vigorously. You won't break it.

Work it hard for a couple of range sessions. I'll bet it feeds flawlessly.

Enjoy your new pistol.

Last edited:
It smoked 2 valve trains for me in 2 different vehicles , never again

But I’m also that guy that refuses to use Fram filters after I had one blow off the bottom of my big block during the 20 minute break in

All handgun feedramps are had polished.

Then why don't they work out of the box? For the money these things cost, they should be test fired for reliability at the factory with multiple types of ammo.

Weatherby rifles come test fired and they send you the test target with the rifle in the case to prove its accuracy.

It smoked 2 valve trains for me in 2 different vehicles , never again

But I’m also that guy that refuses to use Fram filters after I had one blow off the bottom of my big block during the 20 minute break in

I don’t use Fram either. Mostly Mahle or Mann.

Lol of course it cycled. Who starts a thread bashing a gun they haven’t even shot? Wtf. I’ve only shot one legion and damned if it wasn’t the best Pistol I’ve ever shot. Hands down, no questions. f***ing fantastic

Dude, never bashed just looking for some help. In fact just the opposite. I payed for a premium pistol and it wasn’t what I expected out of the box.

Got home, put a few snap caps in and they chambered rough. I tried a few rounds of various live ammo and none chambered cleanly and the hollow points not at all.

Thanks to everyone else who had good suggestions and actually helped a fellow member.

Then why don't they work out of the box? For the money these things cost, they should be test fired for reliability at the factory with multiple types of ammo.

Weatherby rifles come test fired and they send you the test target with the rifle in the case to prove its accuracy.

Maybe you missed the update.

I'd argue that this pistol actually DID work perfectly out of the box. OP mistakenly believed that it didn't. And after a couple hundred rounds all those beautiful, tight tolerances are going to burnish and de-burr and polish mating surfaces and it is going to be a gorgeous super-reliable little heater. At least that's how it worked out with my SIG.

Of course, I carry a G19 if I'm carrying concealed, because they always work, never a problem, same as an SKS, and besides--if the cops take my pistol after a justifiable self defense shooting I wouldn't want them destroying a NICE pistol. (lol)

Dude, never bashed just looking for some help. In fact just the opposite. I payed for a premium pistol and it wasn’t what I expected out of the box.

Got home, put a few snap caps in and they chambered rough. I tried a few rounds of various live ammo and none chambered cleanly and the hollow points not at all.

Thanks to everyone else who had good suggestions and actually helped a fellow member.

It's all good.

You've got a great pistol there--break it in for a couple hundred rounds and it's going to run like a sewing machine and eat everything that you might want to feed it.

Lol It's funny. For all the quality control issues, Sig must send me all of their good guns.
Of the dozen P22's (including legions) I've never had feed issues, or any issues to speak of. While I dont believe that a gun should have to be "broken in" to work, the p-series get better and better the more you shoot them.
I will say that I do have feed issues all the time with Glocks. My g34 and g19 have consistent failure to feed's across new and old mags (with FMJ's) Probably 1 in 400/500 rounds, i'll get a locked back slide or out of battery with bullet half fed. Of course cleaning (or not) might be a factor.

Sorry you didn’t bash but others did. I’d like to think if I dropped a grand on a pistol I’d try before I started a thread on issues

Thanks all.

I’m going to play with it for a week or two and then drive it up to Exeter.

So the gun works with all your ammo and you're still bringing it back to Sig? Why ride the slide at all? This is very confusing to me, but glad your gun tested well at the range.

Not bringing it back any time soon. Gonna use it for the next few weeks, break it in, clean/lube, and see where it is after 500+ rounds or so. Based on feedback here I think it is a combo of tight mags and user “error”. Just never had this issue before with any other gun.

Thanks again everyone.

Back
Top Bottom