New Sig Legion P229 - trouble FTF all ammo

jkerm3

NES Member
I just picked up a new Legion 229 9mm and when I load any of the mags and try to rack the slide and chamber a round, the round catches on the feed ramp and hangs up. If I slingshot regular round nose it will go but very rough. Flat nose and hollow point won’t load.

The mags seem like they have a small gap between the bottom of the frame and the but plate. If I push up on the mag to close the gap while racking the side it will chamber most rounds but but it is still not smooth. Have not been to the range to actually try shooting it yet.

I broke it down, cleaned and lubed, and reassembled without trouble. I loaded a few pics if anyone has any ideas. Hate to have to call Sig on a brand new pistol for something like this.

Thanks in advance.

270CC419-8815-4CC4-8344-C2A768F218E3.jpegD05F5EAA-5951-4FDB-9DBE-A056FFD459C2.jpeg7ADE31A5-0AF3-45AB-AD0D-E2B156D85743.jpegE6CD83CC-B53D-42C4-BE36-B388622E0362.jpeg9DE15419-2ABD-4901-88E2-26CF7BA8EBFF.jpeg796724B3-4230-47E9-AEE4-4B6F6FBA92B3.jpeg120B783B-1BAC-4AE8-8DDE-5632029DD302.jpegE6D46204-53CC-4E6F-80E2-16D4C4F33BEB.jpeg07F9D78C-CB8F-4D62-B6C2-85E440AA3D6D.jpeg87C16075-95DD-48C2-9450-DD1CCF392D8E.jpeg

any chance of doing this photo over but this time insert a mag with a round in it for a better look at the angle it sits to the ramp?
120b783b-1bac-4ae8-8dde-5632029dd302-jpeg.296879

I started with snap caps and they were rough but did chamber. I then loaded a few live rounds just to check and that’s when it was evident there is a problem. Especially with hollow points and flat nose.

You will probably want to send it back to Sig.

There are some guns which are known for feedway stoppages, and which are likely to need polishing or tweaking. The Sig P series pistols are just the opposite, their feeding design is quite robust, so if one won't feed, something is wrong.

From what you have said, I am undecided about whether you need to shoot it before sending it back. If it fails to feed ball ammo, then it needs to go back. On the other hand, any gun can have problems with one type of hollow point, but still be fine with everything else. If it is not clear where your gun falls on this scale, then you might need to shoot it to find out. And it might break in and improve through shooting, though I would not hold my breath.

So if it does chamber ball ammo OK, but feels rough, you could shoot a couple of hundred rounds and then reassess. But if ball ammo will not consistently chamber from both sling-shotting the slide and releasing the slide lock, then just send it in.

If you do decide to shoot it, mark your magazines so you can tell them apart, and keep detailed records.

If you can get up to the pro shop they make take it out back and shoot it. Then you'll know for sure and if a problem is found, just leave it there.

Last edited:
I checked my Legion as well. Using a standard capacity mag, the base pad is not flush with the bottom of the grip either. The feed angle looks to be similar as your pics and it feeds without issue. Since it's rough as you described, perhaps try polishing the feed ramps and around the mouth. Then go shoot some ball ammo, which should also smooth it out. Good luck.

qTesGAy.jpg

I would take it to the range and see what happens. I bet it cycles fine but do agree it’s odd you are having FTF racking the slide. Years ago I had an SR9 that had the same issue but never had a problem shooting it with any ammo.

I forgot to mention that the first time I took my Colt Competition Stainless to the range, the first magazine I shot had a FTF on every other shot. That’s 4 FTFs over 8 shots. After that, for whatever reason, the gun settled in and it hasn’t happened once over the last ~500 rounds.

Are the mags you are trying to feed from fully loaded?

If so, try downloading the mag and seeing if they feed.

It is possible that the mag spring and the new feed lips are creating too much resistance for the slide spring to overcome--and the problem will go away when the pistol breaks in.

It is also possible that the neutered low-cap mags are out of spec.

I'd take the pistol to the range and see if the kinks work themselves out.

If anybody you know (or someone reading this thread) has known-good mags, that would help your troubleshooting efforts immensely.

I checked my Legion as well. Using a standard capacity mag, the base pad is not flush with the bottom of the grip either. The feed angle looks to be similar as your pics and it feeds without issue. Since it's rough as you described, perhaps try polishing the feed ramps and around the mouth. Then go shoot some ball ammo, which should also smooth it out. Good luck.

qTesGAy.jpg

The gun is brand new he shouldn't have to polish anything. I would send it in for service who knows what else is effed up on it...

The gun is brand new he shouldn't have to polish anything. I would send it in for service who knows what else is effed up on it...

Would you send it in for service without even range-testing it?

I personally wouldn't.

I'd give it four or five mags to settle in.

You're losing nothing.

Would you send it in for service without even range-testing it?

I personally wouldn't.

I'd give it four or five mags to settle in.

You're losing nothing.

I guess, but this is still f***ed. If it was something else I might be inclined to agree with you, but a Legion is supposed to be a premium grade handgun. That kind of ghetto shit literally isn't supposed to happen on a gun like that. It's not a smith m&p or something... This isn't like a "it jams once out of every 10 rounds" problem" either. A gun that doesn't work properly out of the box like that is probably a dumpster fire.

-Mike

no, no, no.....don't dick with a new high end pistol. if sig wants to be a prick about...you know the rest.

Absolutely do not try to Bubba-smith that pistol (or any new under warranty pistol) to "Get it to feed". That should go with out saying.

Imagine SIG customer service opening the box to discover a pistol being returned for service under warranty where the owner had tried to "polish the feed ramps" with his Dremel tool.

Ummm--yeah.

Return to sender.

lol.

You sure magazine is fully seated? I’be spent much time carrying and put many rounds through a P229R-DAK, and the only malfunctions I’ve ever had was from the mag not being fully seated. For whatever reason that weapon can be deceiving - feels like a click, sounds like a click, but it isn’t completely there.

Have heard of the slide not going into battery when they’re filthy after a long couple range days, just never experienced it myself.

Edit: just realized I lied. I’ve had the grip panels fall off due to loosening fasteners more than once.

Last edited:
Thanks all.

Went to the range today and it cycled fine with various ball and a few different hollow points. It still feels a bit rough (almost like a double click) when I rack the slide slower than a film sling shot. If I pull it hard it racks everything ok now. Chambering with the slide release lever seems ok but still not as smooth as I would like.

I’m going to play with it for a week or two and then drive it up to Exeter. I’m not going to polish or monkey with any of the internals.

Mags are fully seated. Literally slammed them in to see if made a difference. Not really. Pushing up on the mag when racking does seem to smooth it out a bit so there may be something to the mag QC point.

You just need to polish the feed ramp! Simple fix on all my Sig’s... YouTube it ... very common and simple to fix!

If its common, why doesn't Sig address this BS at the factory? I understand about breaking in guns but they charge enough for their guns, they should at least work when you get one new.

If its common, why doesn't Sig address this BS at the factory? I understand about breaking in guns but they charge enough for their guns, they should at least work when you get one new.

It goes a step further: this is a Legion. That's the highest-end of SIG's high end.

Thing should run with 105% reliability on all ammo, right from the start. You pay a premium for these, and you should get a lot more than a G10 grip and a decent trigger. Oh, and a cute little challenge coin.

All handgun feedramps are had polished.

Back
Top Bottom