New Sig 45ACP P227 on the Market

I've been mulling over the idea of getting a P220 for a while now, so more variety in a similar vein is quite welcome. I really appreciate that Sig seems to have mercy on us poor MA folks, they seek and get approval for quite a few of their guns in the state.

Not sure I understand the market niche for this gun. They have the 220 in 45 ACP and the 226 in 9, 40, and 357. Why wouldn't they make a 10 mm? They could've got me to buy something new if they made something new. This seems like a cross between a 220 and 226 and I'm still not understanding what niche their filling?

This is where I am. Seems virutally the same as a 220, or am I missing something?

The P220 is single-stacked. The P227 is double-stacked.

MBTA Transit is also transitioning from 9mm Sig P226 to 45 M&Ps. IMO it would make more sense for them to move to the P227 because it has the same battery of arms as the P226 and they wouldn't have to change any of their duty gear.

MBTA Transit is also transitioning from 9mm Sig P226 to 45 M&Ps. IMO it would make more sense for them to move to the P227 because it has the same battery of arms as the P226 and they wouldn't have to change any of their duty gear.

Except Transit wants to be absorbed into MSP.

I'm looking at both the 220 & 227, particularly, the "carry" models (measurements are very close to the 229 which is very dear to my heart). It appears all the specs are similar, except, most notably, Mag capacity and grips. Does the 227 have E2 grips (like the 226/229) - it seems so based upon the web pictures. Also, is it possible if/when MA approves the 227 that the "carry" model might be part of that approval process?

I'm looking at both the 220 & 227, particularly, the "carry" models (measurements are very close to the 229 which is very dear to my heart). It appears all the specs are similar, except, most notably, Mag capacity and grips. Does the 227 have E2 grips (like the 226/229) - it seems so based upon the web pictures. Also, is it possible if/when MA approves the 227 that the "carry" model might be part of that approval process?

On the 227 model I looked at, there are no grip screws. That means they're the E2 grips.

Regarding MA compliant versions, SIG will probably only get one approved as that's their typical MO. We get the basic version of the 229, 226, etc with the exception that the all stainless versions of the 226 and 220 are also compliant (though very rare). No Elites or anything like that.

On the 227 model I looked at, there are no grip screws. That means they're the E2 grips.

Regarding MA compliant versions, SIG will probably only get one approved as that's their typical MO. We get the basic version of the 229, 226, etc with the exception that the all stainless versions of the 226 and 220 are also compliant (though very rare). No Elites or anything like that.

The E2s are a perfect fit for my mitts. You're correct, though. Based upon past experience, Sig will prob only send one model for testing/approval.

Except Transit wants to be absorbed into MSP.

Not a true statement at all.

It would make sense from an interoperability standpoint for the Transit a Police to go over to the P227, but I am unsure if the P227 has the DAK action. Current LEO training focuses on a uniform trigger pull for every shot and traditional DA/SA is no longer en vogue. The MSP was not happy with the DAK or Sig QC. Sig now makes as many guns in a month as it used to in a year.

The MSP is the LE dept of record in MA and what it carries will influence other depts. for better or worse.

Cover picture and article on the P227 in this month's American Rifleman that arrived in the mail today. There is a P227 for sale in the members only classifieds.

Back
Top Bottom