• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Sig 45ACP P227 on the Market

How come Para (Ordnance) can jam 14 rounds in a flush fit mag but nobody else can? Is a 1911 style frame that much bigger?

I was just at Sig last tuesday, its not MA comp yet. They are still waiting on the results of the testing. It feels exactly like a P226 and the slides are from the P220( you can interchange them)

Not sure I understand the market niche for this gun. They have the 220 in 45 ACP and the 226 in 9, 40, and 357. Why wouldn't they make a 10 mm? They could've got me to buy something new if they made something new. This seems like a cross between a 220 and 226 and I'm still not understanding what niche their filling?

My brother has it and loves it. I'm thinking about getting one when I can get a sig for half off.

Not sure I understand the market niche for this gun. They have the 220 in 45 ACP and the 226 in 9, 40, and 357. Why wouldn't they make a 10 mm? They could've got me to buy something new if they made something new. This seems like a cross between a 220 and 226 and I'm still not understanding what niche their filling?

This is where I am. Seems virutally the same as a 220, or am I missing something?

P14 grip is roughly the same size as a single stack 1911 just more square.

Also no issue if you have adult sized hands. [laugh]

I have several magazines with the +2 pads (bought years ago) that increases the magazine capacity to 16 (.45 ACP). I see there are some +4 pads now available. It might be worth getting one (or two) to increase the magazine to 18 rounds. If you go through more than two magazines, your backup should have already arrived (with your rifle).

Looks like the company making/selling the "+4" pads is a bit shifty. It's +4 with 38 super, but only adds 2 with .45 ACP... I already have those pads, so don't need any more of them. Still 16 rounds of .45 ACP per mag is nothing to scoff at.

Last edited:
Also no issue if you have adult sized hands. [laugh]

I have several magazines with the +2 pads (bought years ago) that increases the magazine capacity to 16 (.45 ACP). I see there are some +4 pads now available. It might be worth getting one (or two) to increase the magazine to 18 rounds. If you go through more than two magazines, your backup should have already arrived (with your rifle).

I think the proper term is , you can't have bitch mits.

I was thinking about buying a P220, guess I will hold off until this one hits the streets of MA. I have a 226 and a 228 which I really enjoy shooting, this 227 may fit-the-bill instead of the 220.

If I didn't already have a P220 that I shoot well, with extra mags and holsters, I would pick up a P227. As it is, my next acquisition will probably be a Gen 4 Glock 21.

How come Para (Ordnance) can jam 14 rounds in a flush fit mag but nobody else can? Is a 1911 style frame that much bigger?

Para doesn't have a special exception to the laws of physics. FN gets 15 rounds out of their .45 but the result is that the grip is huge for a lot of people.

The P227 (and HK45) aren't really double stacks. They're more like 1.5 stacks. The point is to reduce the width of the magazine but at the expense of fewer rounds from top to bottom. I have an HK45 full size and I find the grip to be about ideal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a 10mm Sig, but have you seen the price of factory 10mm lately? The 10mm market isn't that great because unless you're reloading, it's prohibitively expensive to shoot recreationally. Since the P227 the same size as the P226, most accessories (holsters, mag pouches, etc) will carry over. If you already own a P226 and are looking for a .45ACP Sig, the P227 is kind of a no brainer. Even if the accessories aren't an issue the P227 has greater rounds capacity.

Last edited:
I was thinking about buying a P220, guess I will hold off until this one hits the streets of MA. I have a 226 and a 228 which I really enjoy shooting, this 227 may fit-the-bill instead of the 220.

What are you going to do with the gun? You might still be better off with a P220. Spare mags will be easier to come by, gun will be easier to conceal, and you're only 2 rounds down from the P227. If I was going to go back to Sigs I'd just assume get a good used P220 and pocket the extra cash.

There's also a solid argument that the P220, under duress, will be more reliable. It's definitely a more time-proven design.

-Mike

The LEO market seems to be going in the opposite direction, back to 9mm: http://defense-training.com/dti/pistol-calibers/

I think there are more migrating to .45 than anything else, particularly from the .40. I think MSP went to the M&P .45, I know Plymouth went to the same, and there are probably 2 or 3 others in the region I'm forgetting, too.

-Mike

Sig lost some bids for .45 NH State Police is one, I know MSP ditched the DAK .40 for the M&P45.

I think there are more migrating to .45 than anything else, particularly from the .40. I think MSP went to the M&P .45, I know Plymouth went to the same, and there are probably 2 or 3 others in the region I'm forgetting, too.

-Mike
Yup, MSP and Worcester PD.

-Mike

Worcester did this, from a glock fotay, I believe. (23 maybe?)

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, MSP and Worcester PD.

beat me to it.

Back
Top Bottom