New Member. getting an mp9

G26 will be -- good gun -more money, used, No real warranty.

M&P Brand new, Warranty, ambi controls, less cost, Draw back - you might need a trigger job.

Ford v Chevy

Glocks also have a lifetime warranty. HOWEVER, Glock will not pay shipping so unless you find someone local it will cost you, and it might cost you regardless.

ALL M&Ps need a trigger job! Period! Two of mine were LE models (US standard triggers) and they still sucked. After Greg Derr worked on them, they are a distinct pleasure to shoot. Greg Derr trigger job is $65.00 and he asks for 2 weeks but usually has them done in 1 week.

I own both M&Ps and Glocks. I find the fit of the M&P superior to the Glock in my hand (and my Wife does also) . . . but this is a personal preference thing.

Glock triggers out of the box are a lot better than M&Ps (even the Free America version), hands down.

For someone with big hands and not going to CCW, I would opt for the full size gun, regardless of which gun you buy. G17 or M&P 9 FS.

For me, personally, there's no way I'd pay a premium of several hundred bucks to get an 11 year old (or older) Glock vs a brand new M&P with full lifetime warranty.

That's why I have three M&Ps from FS and no Glocks.

I take it you don't care about hi-caps? That's a big plus toward glocks IMO, of course it doesn't matter for the range. But for carry I just think it's a bummer to be stuck with crippled mags.

I take it you don't care about hi-caps? That's a big plus toward glocks IMO, of course it doesn't matter for the range. But for carry I just think it's a bummer to be stuck with crippled mags.

I just don't let the idea of 'crippled' mags eat at me. I understand there's a principle involved, but I'm happy to have 10 rounds in my M&Ps. I think 10 rounds in my M&P Compacts is fantastic vs alternatives, and just don't stress out about it in my full size M&Ps, which still exceed the capacity of most 1911s.

I also generally have a spare mag available when I think more rounds might be needed.

I also love my revolvers which only hold only 5,6, or 7 rounds.

I just refuse to let the idea of a 'crippled' mag, and anger at the legislature, deprive me of the enjoyment and utility of the guns.

Last edited:
I just don't let the idea of 'crippled' mags eat at me. I understand there's a principle involved, but I'm happy to have 10 rounds in my M&Ps. I think 10 rounds in my M&P Compacts is fantastic vs alternatives, and just don't stress out about it in my full size M&Ps, which still exceed the capacity of most 1911s.

I also generally have a spare mag available when I think more rounds might be needed.

I also love my revolvers which only hold only 5,6, or 7 rounds.

I just refuse to let the idea of a 'crippled' mag, and anger at the legislature, deprive me of the enjoyment and utility of the guns.

I have an M&Pc 9mm that I don't really mind the 10 rounders for....but in terms of fullsize models (for me) the lack of hi-caps is a major turn off. If I'm going to be carrying a fullsize/double stack pistol, I want the "real" mags for it.

I understand where you are coming from, I just feel differently.

IMG_0943.jpg

Greg Derr Does it cheaper and he does a great job as well. They are very different trigger jobs.

How different can they be? Not sure what is involved here, and how they can be VERY different. Can Ruger P-series get trigger jobs as well? (I don't particularly dislike it, but better is always...better.)

Reading more, am I correct that a NEW M&P with trigger job is cheaper than a used Glock? Are G36 Glocks available around in Mass? Is there an M&P .45 compact to equate to the G36? Thanks, and sorry for the slight sidetrack.

Last edited:

I can't stand the frigging things. I own one gun that needs cripplemags, and it's almost one too many. Having to use something which is intentionally
broken is bad juju, to the extent that I try to avoid subjecting it to myself whenever possible. When you buy a new car, do you ask them to install 4 donut tires on it? That's what this is... [laugh]

-Mike

Glock 26

what does a glock 26 go for? is it used? are hi cap readily avail ( i know non are for mo)? i really like the mp though i have held it and am willing to go and get a trigger job on it by one of the gunsmiths. what are the pros adn cons of the 26?

A Glock 26 will set you back about $700.00+ tax. And those are police trade-ins with some holster wear. Sometime you can get lucky and find one on this site in excellent cond. Good luck and be safe

Reading more, am I correct that a NEW M&P with trigger job is cheaper than a used Glock? Are G36 Glocks available around in Mass? Is there an M&P .45 compact to equate to the G36? Thanks, and sorry for the slight sidetrack.

A new M&P with a trigger job is probably about the same cost as a used glock, depending on model. For example, you will often see G17 for sale for as little as $450-500.

G36s can be bought legally from private individuals (FTF) in MA. They show up with decent regularity in the NES classified, they usually run around $800 which represents the fact that are one of the rarer glocks in MA. If your brother is a cop or you know a crocked FFL you can also get one legally at free state prices.

The M&P .45 (I believe) is double-stacked so it's more the equivalent of a G30 (the G36 has a single stack mag).

+1 on the M&P vs. Glock, at least in Mass. Full size pistols might be closer in cost, but a M&P9c with a new sear housing block and springs installed by you will be HUNDREDS less than a G26 or even G19. Plus the warranties and known round count advantages previously mentioned.

I understand the argument that a Mass resident wouldn't want a neutered gun, but neither should he consider spending the $hundreds extra premium for glock. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom