New Member AR-15 Advice Please!!

Let me first say that i am a new member and I have been perusing these threads for a while now and i appreciate all of the info you all have contibuted to this forum. I just bought my first house in Providence and along with that came with my first HD shot gun purchase (Rem 870 Express).

With all the talk about the "Messiah" taking away all the guns i want to purchase an AR-15. As you all know they are out of stock but i have an opportunity to purchase a Stag15L-Model 1 Pre Ban for about $1100.00.

I plan on occasionally shooting it at the range only as the 870 serves as my primary home defense weapon. I hesitate to purchase it beacuse of the "Pre Ban" issue. Does that mean that it is used and made prior to the ban in the 80's? I want one new fresh out of the box!

Best regards
Jeff

Let me first say that i am a new member and I have been perusing these threads for a while now and i appreciate all of the info you all have contibuted to this forum. I just bought my first house in Providence and along with that came with my first HD shot gun purchase (Rem 870 Express).

With all the talk about the "Messiah" taking away all the guns i want to purchase an AR-15. As you all know they are out of stock but i have an opportunity to purchase a Stag15L-Model 1 Pre Ban for about $1100.00.

I plan on occasionally shooting it at the range only as the 870 serves as my primary home defense weapon. I hesitate to purchase it beacuse of the "Pre Ban" issue. Does that mean that it is used and made prior to the ban in the 80's? I want one new fresh out of the box!

Best regards
Jeff

Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your first post and good on you for going green from the start!

Pre ban usually means prior to 1994 and usually is just of interest to us ma**h***s as we've still got the Clinton era AWB so it likely isn't new. In MA it's a good thing as it means you can have all the goodies like a folding/collapsable stock, bayonet lug, flash hider etc.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, congratulations on your first post and good on you for going green from the start!

Pre ban usually means prior to 1994 and usually is just of interest to us ma**h***s as we've still got the Clinton era AWB so it likely isn't new. In MA it's a good thing as it means you can have all the goodies like a folding/collapsable stock, bayonet lug, flash hider etc.

also prebans are worth significantly more due to their "me want" factor. Verify it is a preban based on the serial number on the LOWER. The upper means nothing in terms of preban or post ban. There is a list somewhere on the net of which guns are pre and postban.

Pre-Ban means that it was made before the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban. If the rifle is truly preban, it would be at least that old (1994 or older) It may be used, or never fired but it wasn't rolled off the assembly line yesterday.

Pre Ban's bring a premium cost in MA because they are not subject to the rules governing how many "evil features" (bayonet lug/collapsible stock/pistol grip/detachable mag/flash hider) the rifle may have. $1100 is a good deal for a pre bn AR15 in Ma as long as it is in good shape.

also prebans are worth significantly more due to their "me want" factor. Verify it is a preban based on the serial number on the LOWER. The upper means nothing in terms of preban or post ban. There is a list somewhere on the net of which guns are pre and postban.

OK, I'm not sure on this, but I just googled Stag as I was under the impression they're a newer player in the market and according to Wikipedia they incorporated in May of 2003 so the gun in question can't be 'pre ban'.

That being said, I've got a Stag 15 and I love mine.

What you MAY have is a new Stag left-handed upper mounted on a different mnfgr's pre-ban lower - which, per the terms of the law, is still a 'pre-ban' rifle.

OK, I'm not sure on this, but I just googled Stag as I was under the impression they're a newer player in the market and according to Wikipedia they incorporated in May of 2003 so the gun in question can't be 'pre ban'.

That being said, I've got a Stag 15 and I love mine.

STAGS are not preban!!!! it may be preban CONFIGURATION...meaning flash hider, bayo lug, and collapsible stock...but stag wasnt around before the ban...unless its a stag upper mated with a preban lower...dont know the laws in RI but dont get hosed on a gun that isnt what its advertised to be!

new stags run from $900 - $1200 give or take a few bucks depending on the models

I am almost positive in RI i can have all of the "EVIL Features" . Seeing how it is only a 7 day wait for a background check to puchase a long gun. So the jist i am getting is that i want a new rifle in pre ban config. Correct?

thanks for the quick replies this is great!

I am almost positive in RI i can have all of the "EVIL Features" . Seeing how it is only a 7 day wait for a background check to puchase a long gun. So the jist i am getting is that i want a new rifle in pre ban config. Correct?

thanks for the quick replies this is great!

AFAIK & to the best of my memory (can't open gun sites at work aside from this one) the model 1 is a basic AR-15 type rifle and, unless you modify it, is a 'pre-ban-configuration' out of the box. The L refers to Left Handed - meaning the ejection port and controls are on the opposite side of the rifle from the usual.

Assuming that the rifle's new, $1100 sounds about right.

EDIT: Per google shopping it looks like the model 1 is going for about 1K elsewhere in the country. YMMV. Given the scarcity of AR type guns 1100 might not be a bad price.

Last edited:
I interrupt this thread for the following late breaking announcement:

Welcome to the forum!,

I now return you to the regularly scheduled Q and A!

-Rick

That lower had to have been a completed rifle before the ban otherwise it's just another post ban lower regardless of the serial number or date it was made. Your best bet would be to take down the serial number and call the manufacturer of the lower.

Last edited:
I think confusion may arise when dealers (or individuals) selling AR's list them pre-ban when in actuality they are just referring to the configuration, ie. flash hider, bayo lug, etc. not that they are pre 1994. Which is most likely the case here. Stag wasn't around before 2003 and right now pre-ban stripped lowers alone are running $500 and up. So it is safe to say that this is just a new AR in pre-ban configuration. Which is what the OP was looking for.

What you MAY have is a new Stag left-handed upper mounted on a different mnfgr's pre-ban lower - which, per the terms of the law, is still a 'pre-ban' rifle.

That is incorrect.

That lower had to have been a completed rifle before the ban otherwise it's just another post ban lower regardless of the serial number or date it was made.

That is correct

I would be leary... at 1100 a doubt it is a genuine "pre-ban" rifle (built in an 'evil' configuration prior to 94'), more likely it is a new rifle with evil features, and therefore not MA legal. If you happen to live in a non ban state then your probably getting an ok deal depending on the model.

That sounds like a good price for a pre-ban if it really is one. Heck I cant seem to find cheap ARs anymore. I think I paid 900 for a Used never fired AR a year and some months ago. I build them myself these days and spend way too much. I have one AR that'll have run $2000 once I'm done building it, the rest probably ran at least 1,250.

I have one Complete HBAR and just need a barrel for my other. Barrels when you can find them are running in the $400 range. The MFGR won't let them go because they need them for all their back ordered rifles. So I am in a bind. Kind of pissed off about it. Shoot, people are scalping lower parts kits as well for $100 and actually getting that.

Back
Top Bottom