New Jersey - You want a LTC you need to train. New Use of Force Interim Training For Private Citizen Concealed Carry

Gather all members together that want to actually train and have everyone do mags dumps at once. The old dickhead fudds that live at the range and act like they own the place will either stroke out or learn to not be faggots. I can’t stand places (or people) like that.
It came about because certain jackasses (who were probably not club members but slipped in through the open gate) went all "gang-banger" and several rounds are alleged to have landed in the nearby yard of a neighbor (who likely had an axe to grind, anyway). I did think about bringing in 4 other members. We would each shoot one round per second, but one after the other, so we'd still be in compliance. F*ck the Fudds.

It came about because certain jackasses (who were probably not club members but slipped in through the open gate) went all "gang-banger" and several rounds are alleged to have landed in the nearby yard of a neighbor (who likely had an axe to grind, anyway). I did think about bringing in 4 other members. We would each shoot one round per second, but one after the other, so we'd still be in compliance. F*ck the Fudds.
It’s funny how so many ranges seem to have this same small group of cranky old a**h***s that act like a HOA. It’s like being a race car driver and having the maintenance guys tell you you can’t drive over 100mph.

New Jersey at it again. This is some pretty significant training requirement for your LTC and renewal. Oh boy!

They are putting in a new curriculum with a tough shooting qualification. I bet it is someplace's police qualifier. 1 to 25 yards, timed from the holster, standing and kneeling, strong and weak hand, on the clock reload. "Point shoulder" at 15 yards and in. Huh? Point shoulder shooting went out with swivel holsters and cartridge loops. etc. There are 10 courses of fire you need to qualify in before sign off and this is just the safety course. Wow!

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/PTC_use_of_force_and_Qual.pdf
Two things just hit me about this as I went back and read it that have nothing to do with who could and couldn't qualify (and this seems way tougher than Rhode Island):

"Decock" is all over this test regimen. 226 DAO's, Beretta 92s, others with build in decockers notwithstanding, this seem a problem. Yes, I know the proper method for manually de-cocking a 1911 but knowing the method, even training it, is one thing, actually requiring it done seems a big problem at best because I know of no handgun that any manufacture recommends manually de-cocking. And, somebody tell me how, exactly, short of locking back the slide, one decocks a P365, P320, Glock or other common striker fired pistols.

The intro.
Nothing I have ever learned about de-escalation encourages attempting a citizen's arrest. The language seems to encourage behaviors likely to lead to escalate rather than de-escalate. If somebody pulls a knife on me and I'm in fear of my life and can (one hopes) draw but avoid shooting (and I damned well will try. Most DGUs no shot is ever fired) it's "Run! @#$%^er. Don't come back!" not "Hang around while I pretend to be a cop".

Last edited:
This is why I'm against mandatory training. Training is good, but blue states can and do use them to make it harder, more time consuming, and more expensive to get a permit or license.

This is no different than the "literacy tests" that some southern states used to require before being able to vote. It's just as unConstitutional and just as illegal.

It's all part of their efforts to resist Bruen.

Remember no hollow points in NJ!

Shoot FMJ or supposedly Hornady type ammo is okay.

Unreal! I hate NJ glad I don’t have to deal Siri that state as I fly up. I really only have to deal with communist Maryland. But I carry my snub nose model 10 when I travel up to PA unload it lock it in the trunk for the 15 or so minutes I’m in MD

This is why I'm against mandatory training. Training is good, but blue states can and do use them to make it harder, more time consuming, and more expensive to get a permit or license.

This is no different than the "literacy tests" that some southern states used to require before being able to vote. It's just as unConstitutional and just as illegal.

It's all part of their efforts to resist Bruen.
All Gun Control is racist… it has racist roots

It's sad to say the least. My Mom is from NJ, although my Grandmother always said South Jersey, they hate the North. My family's been in Salem County since the late 1600's. My Mom came up to Boston to go to Garland Junior College ( now part of Simmons) in the Back Bay, where she met a first generation Sicilian/Finnish American man twelve years here senior. My Uncle never had kids so my Grandparents line is in Mass only. I'm probably distantly related to well over half of Salem County. My Grandmother told me that when she married my Grandfather they already had most of the same Cousins. My mother does not like it when I repeat that. My Grandmother had her Father's Webley Bull Dog and my Grandfather had a bunch of "Duckin" Shotguns. They gave them all to one of their Cousins :-( . If you're wondering where Salem County is, it's where the Delaware Memorial Bridge lands on the Jersey side.

Last edited:
There is truth in your sarcasm. Another negotiation attack surface. "The cops get qualified immunity, in part, because of their training so, what protections will be in place for licensed folks in a DGU now that you've set a training standard?"

This is 100% false.

Cops get qualified immunity because they’re state actors. Period. It has nothing to do with training. The only criterion is working for the state.

"Decock" is all over this test regimen. 226 DAO's, Beretta 92s, others with build in decockers notwithstanding, this seem a problem. Yes, I know the proper method for manually de-cocking a 1911 but knowing the method, even training it, is one thing, actually requiring it done seems a big problem at best because I know of no handgun that any manufacture recommends manually de-
There is no proper method to decock a 1911, though there are certain things you can do to reduce the chance of a ND/AD. If loaded and carried, the proper action is to engage the thumb safety. If unloaded, there is no decocking in the process until after you are done and decock my pulling the trigger on an empty chamber after verifying the gun is unloaded and while pointing in a safe direction.

Those that believe in carry a 1911 on half cock, or fully down on the inertial firing pin, are doing it wrong. Ditto for those that carry with an empty chamber.

Remember no hollow points in NJ!

Shoot FMJ or supposedly Hornady type ammo is okay.

Unreal! I hate NJ glad I don’t have to deal Siri that state as I fly up. I really only have to deal with communist Maryland. But I carry my snub nose model 10 when I travel up to PA unload it lock it in the trunk for the 15 or so minutes I’m in MD
Hollow points are allowed at home.

Yup, I know that little stretch of I-81. I don't stop along it and wait until I'm in PA (or, if going south, VA).

This is somewhat akin to driver licensing testing.

However, driving an automobile is not a constitutionally protected RIGHT.
I don't see this standing up under court scrutiny.

Particularly as implementation of it WILL absolutely result in people being rejected.
it's not though, this is passing bondurant racing school in order to drive

and I'm saying the government shouldn't have the right to restrict my means of travel to beast of burden and foot travel.
unfortunately, the founders were not as specific about a right to travel as they were about other things. i'd like to think it was because they thought a freedom loving people would never accept a restriction.

while interstate travel is somewhat protected, intrastate travel isn't. MA is an outlier: the state constitution includes freedom of movement, though somewhat recently.

attempts to restrict free movement are underway, with the addition of bike lanes and removal of parking. only one case that i know of (that didn't reach sjc) challenged on the basis of a state constitutional right to free movement.

Last edited:
attempts to restrict free movement are underway, with the addition of bike lanes and removal of parking.
How does the addition of bike lanes restrict free movement?

That seems like the opposite, providing a means of free movement for those who can’t afford a car or get a driver’s license.

That seems like the opposite, providing a means of free movement for those who can’t afford a car or get a driver’s license.
Some places shut down sections to motor traffic to allow 'safe' use of green means of traveling.

Some places shut down sections to motor traffic to allow 'safe' use of green means of traveling.
I guess? Still doesn’t seem like “restricting free movement” any more than turning a rail line into a bike trail.

Trading one form of transportation for another isn’t really the same as what “restricting free movement” suggests.

There is no proper method to decock a 1911, though there are certain things you can do to reduce the chance of a ND/AD. If loaded and carried, the proper action is to engage the thumb safety. If unloaded, there is no decocking in the process until after you are done and decock my pulling the trigger on an empty chamber after verifying the gun is unloaded and while pointing in a safe direction.

Those that believe in carry a 1911 on half cock, or fully down on the inertial firing pin, are doing it wrong. Ditto for those that carry with an empty chamber.
Yes, thank you. Absolutely correct.

'Proper' was a bad phrasing and a terrible example to imply it's OK I'm sorry. "How to do it so the gun probably won't go off (but you'd be a lunatic to carry that way) doesn't make it proper and my post got useless because of my mistake.

Trying to be clearer and hoping there's an answer to what I was trying to say:

What I was getting at was that the word 'decock' is all over the qualification regimen and it's dumb that it is since one can't safely decock without a decoder as in, for example a 226 DA/SA (Another place I screwed up in the original post when wrote DAO when I meant DA/SA) or (most) 92fs.

What do they mean when they say 'decock'? Do they mean slide locked back? Why the hell is 'decock' all over that document?

Last edited:

by removing parking and restricting the flow of traffic from one place to another, thus allowing the freedom to move only to those within bike distance or have access to public transit.

I guess? Still doesn’t seem like “restricting free movement” any more than turning a rail line into a bike trail.

Trading one form of transportation for another isn’t really the same as what “restricting free movement” suggests.
it's a deliberate restriction of road bandwidth for the many, enabling hobby movement for the few.

it's a deliberate restriction of road bandwidth for the many, enabling hobby movement for the few.
And the drivers that are properly pissed off take it out on the very few who are using the shitty bike lanes (most of them are poorly designed and only incorporated to get federal funds)

I can usually ride through a proper two lane area safer than the badly designed bike lanes that drivers don't know how to maneuver around.
Even in cities, cycling is a minority form of travel that is better served by better training on both sides (allow video evidence tickets on both sides of the equation, especially to punish a**h*** cyclists)

Yes, thank you. Absolutely correct.

'Proper' was a bad phrasing and a terrible example to imply it's OK I'm sorry. "How to do it so the gun probably won't go off (but you'd be a lunatic to carry that way) doesn't make it proper and my post got useless because of my mistake.

Trying to be clearer and hoping there's an answer to what I was trying to say:

What I was getting at was that the word 'decock' is all over the qualification regimen and it's dumb that it is since one can't safely decock without a decoder as in, for example a 226 DA/SA (Another place I screwed up in the original post when wrote DAO when I meant DA/SA) or (most) 92fs.

What do they mean when they say 'decock'? Do they mean slide locked back? Why the hell is 'decock' all over that document?

I primarily shot striker fired pistols, and the concept of cocked/de-cocked for them is interesting; but I have a number of other firearms for which it's pretty straight-forward.

The firearm is "cocked" when the hammer is drawn back. Not being drawn back, but drawn back. De-cocking it is the act of lowering the hammer without firing the pistol.

De-cocking a 1911 style firearm is pretty simple. You hold the hammer with your thumb, pull the trigger which releases it, and lower the hammer with your thumb. The "danger" in doing so is if your thumb slips.

It's exactly the same for a revolver.

And yes you CAN safely de-cock either a 1911 style single-action firearm or a revolver. I've literally done it thousands of times over the last couple of decades. You simply need to pay attention.

by removing parking and restricting the flow of traffic from one place to another, thus allowing the freedom to move only to those within bike distance or have access to public transit.

This is no different than .gov putting the thumb on the scale in favor of cars.

Neither are "restricting freedom of movement"

And the drivers that are properly pissed off take it out on the very few who are using the shitty bike lanes (most of them are poorly designed and only incorporated to get federal funds)
Yeah, look at the shitty bike lanes being installed in the center of Hopkinton. Double-wide bike lanes with their own traffic lights right through the middle of town, on a street where there are maybe 10 bicycles a week. To top it off, they're not at street level, so there's a height transition at every driveway. No real bike rider is going to use the damn things because of the pogo-stick motion all the ups and down will cause. They'll all be in the street, which is now already too narrow to allow the fire trucks (with the station located on the street with the lanes) to pass if there's traffic that doesn't jam all the ways to the curb.

Massive level of stupidity just to get matching funds. And I'd lay long odds that there are any number of morons in the town who believe it's a wonderful thing and are fully supportive of it.

Last edited:
I primarily shot striker fired pistols, and the concept of cocked/de-cocked for them is interesting; but I have a number of other firearms for which it's pretty straight-forward.

The firearm is "cocked" when the hammer is drawn back. Not being drawn back, but drawn back. De-cocking it is the act of lowering the hammer without firing the pistol.

De-cocking a 1911 style firearm is pretty simple. You hold the hammer with your thumb, pull the trigger which releases it, and lower the hammer with your thumb. The "danger" in doing so is if your thumb slips.

It's exactly the same for a revolver.

And yes you CAN safely de-cock either a 1911 style single-action firearm or a revolver. I've literally done it thousands of times over the last couple of decades. You simply need to pay attention.

It's not the same as a revolver.

Any modern (last 100 years?) revolver has some mechanism to prevent the hammer/firing pin from touching the primer unless the trigger is pulled all the way back. You can have grease covered fingers and let the hammer slip off your thumb (thumb off the hammer) and as long as you follow the procedure, it *WILL NOT GO BANG*

If you don't know the technique for a revolver, learn it.

This is not true for a any 70 series or older 1911. 80 series, maybe, depending on how the firing pin block works. But the manipulation is much trickier than with a revolver.

Single action only semi-autos that have a "half cocked" position can be lowered similarly to a revolver, but it's harder.

Because, by design, adding bike lanes reduces the number of lanes available for motor vehicle traffic. Boston and Cambridge in particular have added bike and bus only lanes in attempts to "encourage" people not to drive in the cities.

I rode a bike for work in Boston and I can tell you that bike lanes increase the danger for the riders by creating an illusion of safety.

It's also ironic that the public health dweebs harp on bike helmets, but people can rent bikes and scooters and tool about the city without them.

I do the same, was it me? MA Turnpike to I-84 all the way into PA. I stop at the NJ/NY/PA border to get gas in NJ. Then back on I-84 to I-81 and south. Don't stop in MD and then it's clear sailing anywhere in the south.

It doesn't. I quoted the poster who mentioned he goes through a stretch of MD. (You take I-81) to avoid NJ and most of NY .

I do the same, was it me? MA Turnpike to I-84 all the way into PA. I stop at the NJ/NY/PA border to get gas in NJ. Then back on I-84 to I-81 and south. Don't stop in MD and then it's clear sailing anywhere in the south.

Yep that’s the route we took to Atlanta last year. Lots of trucks for sure.

Back
Top Bottom