• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Shop - Looking For Input

Decent lighting... let me repeat DECENT LIGHTING, non shitty carpet or vinyl plank (seriously most stores look exactly the same like someone's 1970s wood paneled bedroom in a split-level house only with display cases and lighting out of a decrepit convenience store in the ghetto), HVAC that works and preferably removes the stench of cheap customers.

fix
/fiks/
verb
  1. 1.
    fasten (something) securely in a particular place or position.
    "fix the clamp on a rail"
    synonyms: fasten, attach, affix, secure;

So your issue is with the "no-name maker" ARs for the price, not that magazines are fixed? The fact that you had put 'fixed' in quotes I took mean something else.

I got say I haven't seen these fixed mag ARs so I don't know how they make it a fixed mag, do they weld the mag to the receiver in some way, then paint or parkerize the weld line?

ETA - Never mind, I don't want to sidetrack the OPs thread, which is a good one.

Don’t overlook hunting guys. They might not be the youthful tactical crowd that I think probably drives a lot of sales, but based on the season youll get them through the door. A few kinds of pheasant loads, deer slugs, and muzzle loading supplies will go a long way starting in the fall (or as early as the end of August), while some predator loads in .223 match up with coyote season until March. In the spring everyone wants turkey loads.

Location within 5 minutes of Auburn/Millbury/Leicester/Oxford/Worcester.

A section of the store dedicated to shotgun and inline muzzleloader hunting supplies; such as sights, barrels, cleaning supplies, ammunition, powder (pellets), bullets, tools, etc.

A decent name other than S&W or Ruger as the main line. Maybe Canik, Springfield Armory, etc.

A huge selection of things to take to the range such as targets, tannerite, ear and eye protection, mats, cleaning supplies, etc.

I never understood why shops do not keep a running list of used guns people are looking for. I wanted some stuff that is not easy to find in MA. I offered my name to several shops in case something came in and all refused. For example if I am looking for a Colt Python (I'm not) it would be hard to find. If you took my name and a year later one came through you shop it would be easy to refer to the list and make some calls thus assuring a sale and helping out 2 customers (seller and buyer). It would also give you an edge over the big guys you can't go to to toe with price wise. It also might help offset any price difference on new firearms when those customers go to buy a new something.

Shops are scared of Maura’s written opinion, so some are only transferring post ban AR’s with the magazines permanently attached via different methods. All I have seen so far are DIY rifles made from various parts and they charge an arm and a leg. I don’t get it.

So your issue is with the "no-name maker" ARs for the price, not that magazines are fixed? The fact that you had put 'fixed' in quotes I took mean something else.

I got say I haven't seen these fixed mag ARs so I don't know how they make it a fixed mag, do they weld the mag to the receiver in some way, then paint or parkerize the weld line?

ETA - Never mind, I don't want to sidetrack the OPs thread, which is a good one.

Pallets of Tavors, at pallet prices!

Also, boxcars of 9mm and Velocitor .22 ammo, at boxcar pricing.

Isn’t Littleton the town that has 48 gun
shops in a single building? Maybe the
best thing you could do is locate your
shop in a different community.
See post #35.

I would focus my inventory on used guns that are usually unavailable new here in MA and have maybe a half dozen new guns (1 each model) of only the most popular like P365 and offer to order for someone whatever other new gun they might want. Don't waste money on a big inventory of new guns since you can get those anywhere (four seasons), but buy up unusual used guns like vintage Smith/Colt handguns, Desert Eagle, pre-64 Marlin/Winchester lever guns, etc. $20 transfer fees and hours conducive to those of us who work M-F. Saturday & Sunday and evening hours for transfers (perhaps appt only). Offer to be a receiving FFL for ammo shipments (say $5 a box?).

Most importantly, put your inventory list on the web and update it daily! And invest some money in a high school geek to do your website so it doesn't look like it was pasted together from a Myspace page or something. Oh and lots of us hate facebook and refuse to use it so don't just do a facebook page!

I love the idea of a new shop too, but I have to say I don’t buy that many guns.

Like 1 per year maybe.

It’s my non business owning guess that people probably want ammo and accessories a lot more often than a new gun.

Also consider that once someone buys a MA approved common gun it won’t go bad anytime soon; it’s probably good for life. You won’t sell that guy another VP9 or shield.

Even then, once he has a VP9 and shield, does he really want a Ruger Security 9? Even a P320?

See post #35.

As per post 35 it seems this fellows shop
is nowhere near Littleton. That is all I can
determine from post 35. Can you help me out
with some more information? Is he in some
other town other than Littleton? It would
take a good half hour to get to Littleton from
Worcester or Millberry or Auburn.

Or is that you giving him advice on where to
move his shop?

Got it. I’m quite thick most times.
Takes a while for things to sink in.

Reasonable prices on reloading components , Dillon dealer, prices just slightly higher than TSUSA on ammo and the ability to order everything that they have.

As you said, the firearm selection here in Mass is boring.

No offense intended, but is this going to be a real business or a hobby shop?

Do you have a business plan in place that includes projections of all expenses, revenues, margins and sales goals?

Do you have an advertising budget?

"Dillon dealer" - Dillon offers dealers something like a 15% margin - not something most vendors can survive on which is why you rarely see Dillon in stores.

Last I checked, it was a $40K inventory buy-in to be a Mark-VII reloading dealer, though that may have changed since the sale to Lyman.

Will you buy in the quantities necessary to be able to offer people decent prices? I know of shops that do not hesitate to spend in the 6 figures stocking up on a single loading of ammo in a single caliber to get a good deal. If you have to pay more for your ammo than you see it for sale for at WalMart or a deep discount retail shop, you're in trouble before you open the door.

Are you talking $100K of inventory or more to start, or is this going to be a really small shop you try to grow?

Can you be price competitive with the high volume shops?

Where will you operate on the "cuz guns" risk/reward curve? Will you engage in technically legal transactions that go against the spirit of the gun banners who passes the laws, or will you tell customer "I don't think the AG would like it if I did that"?

Have you figured out your total overhead in detail? Do you have an idea of your weighted margin on sales? Those two tidbits will tell you how many $$ per hour you have to make in sales to break even.

1) Don't listen to people who frequent gun forums on the dark web
2) Seperate yourself from other dealers (what don't they offer)
3) Don't listen to people who frequent gun forums on the dark web
4) I like yogi's post above no high end dealers around here but we do have lots of people with deep pockets
5) Don't listen to people who frequent gun forums on the dark web
6) Gun owners are the cheapest people around sell toys to their wives

I never understood why shops do not keep a running list of used guns people are looking for. I wanted some stuff that is not easy to find in MA. I offered my name to several shops in case something came in and all refused. For example if I am looking for a Colt Python (I'm not) it would be hard to find. If you took my name and a year later one came through you shop it would be easy to refer to the list and make some calls thus assuring a sale and helping out 2 customers (seller and buyer). It would also give you an edge over the big guys you can't go to to toe with price wise. It also might help offset any price difference on new firearms when those customers go to buy a new something.

Because people can say "hey, can you find XYZ gun for me?" and will either never show or will back out of the deal. If a shop knows a customer wants a certain gun, say the Colt Python, and the shop sees one at an estate sale, the shop will try to buy it to make the resale. Then suppose once the store has it in inventory, the store calls up the guy from a year ago, and the guy never picks up the phone or says "sure, I'll be in tomorrow!" and never shows. This would happen one to three times or so before the store calls it quits. Keep in mind that used guns don't grow on the used gun tree. Used guns have to come from purchases made by the store or consignment sellers. If a store has a list of what customers want, the store will intentionally buy guns on the list. Only problem is the end buyers aren't guaranteed to follow through with the buy, leaving the store holding the bag with the inventory.

This system where a customer expresses interest and the store follows up once something is in stock only works if the customer leaves a deposit, like say 20%, that the store can keep to cover time and effort spent if a customer bails. This will obviously tick off customers and non-refundable deposits hurt customer relations and can cause serious issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
be enthusiastic to patrons and don't give the impression that they are bothering you when they just want to handle something. Many times its about attitude more than on hand inventory.

My local gun shop is the best I have ever dealt with. The inventory now sits at 1k guns and the prices are beyond fair in my opinion. What really sets them apart for me are the owners attitude and what they offer for used guns. I can swing by the store any time and spend an hour or more just looking at and handling different guns. Not only is it welcomed activity the owner is enthusiastic about it. He also offers you %80 of retail value for your used guns. No haggle, no low balling. He has an active website which is updated every day to show most of what is in stock.
I looked this morning and he has an H&K P30L in stock and I have wanted one for a long time. Guess what I will be buying this week?
I am a seasoned gun owner and buyer and these are the things that get me excited about a place.

Collections of small parts. I’ve had a couple builds grind to a halt because I either lost a tiny pin or bent/crushed a miniature spring during a high life fueled assembly session.

Also, more kydex holsters. Not even ones for obscure pistols, just options for the stuff people actually have and carry.

You just described northeast arms in Peabody

And PLEASE don’t sell some no name fixed mag AR for $1000+. It stinks enough living in this state as it is, never mind when the gun shops are looking for 150% profit.

Here is an idea for you. Get some good, name brand AR’s, ‘fix’ the mags and sell for retail prices. You will have A LOT of customers.

You’ll also be out of business real fast , you can’t just “fix” the magazine to a already manufactured rifle and be within compliance of the idiotic AG interpretation

It needs to be manufactured as a fixed mag firearm

Beyond the stuff that people want you to stock... I'll echo that attitude goes a long way. I hate the tacticool/operator sales people. I've put down the gun I was handling and walked out because the guy was way over the top with his attitude/voice/cockiness.

This system where a customer expresses interest and the store follows up once something is in stock only works if the customer leaves a deposit, like say 20%, that the store can keep to cover time and effort spent if a customer bails. This will obviously tick off customers and non-refundable deposits hurt customer relations and can cause serious issues.
Not if the store only buys items that are marketable.

Four Seasons will hold a used gun for 24 or 48 hours (forget which) if someone is interested and going to make a trip in to look at maybe buy it. If the customer looks and decides the gun is not for him/her, Carl will thank the person for stopping by, put the gun back up for sale, and that person will still be very welcome as a customer in the shop.

Back
Top Bottom