• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Gun Shop - Looking For Input

CDSUSA

Dealer
NES Member
Fellow NES'ers,
I recently opened a small gun shop in Littleton MA with the goal of slowly, but constantly growing and things are progressing well. Thank you very much to the people that have stopped by and showed their support.

One of my biggest challenges so far is getting things in the shop that people can get excited over. I already have a decent selection of the usual MA compliant suspects, but I'm looking for other things that will get people interested in coming to the shop. So I figured, why not just ask the people that I'm trying to attract?

What are some things that would make you want to visit a new shop? I appreciate your time and suggestions.

Sexy-Scarlett-Johansson-Pictures.jpg

Collections of small parts. I’ve had a couple builds grind to a halt because I either lost a tiny pin or bent/crushed a miniature spring during a high life fueled assembly session.

Also, more kydex holsters. Not even ones for obscure pistols, just options for the stuff people actually have and carry.

Rifles that are not on the AWB: Mini14, G3 clones, M1A socom, CZ Bren, stuff like that.

Anything preban: magazines, rifles, lowers, etc.

Cheap ammo by the case: 9mm, 223, 762x39, 308, 22lr, 45

**Build a simple website, collect emails, and send weekly newsletters with whats in stock.**

Make an instagram account too and post cool things that the shop is doing.

Gun store and Massachusetts is never gonna be exciting. Actually depressing walking into most of them. Espeially the ones with the LEO only wall or section lol. Maybe more Milsurps? But those are drying up too. I think you have to risk it all and start selling new Glocks ARs and AKs. Good luck

*Low or no transfer fees generate foot traffic
*A supply of oddball ammo, like say 7.5x55 Swiss, or 7.65×20mm Longue, generates collector foot traffic
*Reasonable prices, friendly and respectful customer service, and listening to what customers say and want always pays dividends

(Note: please don't try to stock 7.65 Longue)

Gun store and Massachusetts is never gonna be exciting. Actually depressing walking into most of them. Espeially the ones with the LEO only wall or section lol. Maybe more Milsurps? But those are drying up too. I think you have to risk it all and start selling new Glocks ARs and AKs. Good luck
agreed, except for Milsurp, thats boring to me.
But "exciting" things are not going to be in a storefront in MA. And even bulk ammo, I'm not paying sales tax on that so......
I would never advise anyone to open a shop in MA unless you are already wealthy and want a hobby or if you're willing to take a risk and stock Glocks, AR's and AKs...If you did that you would have a line out the door, period.

Other "exciting" things are also the expensive things that do move quickly and cost money to stock, thinking high end red dots and scopes, high end triggers (those might move a tad), pricey guns such as the Tavor.. Just think to yourself, if you were looking online, what items are going to grab your attention and get you to atleast think about opening your wallet? It likely isn't 90% of what you find in MA gun stores....

Powder, primers and bullets. Hazmat shipping fees kill the price per round for serious reloaders so we are always looking for local sources of powder and primers.
I finally took some time off to stop by Shooting Supply down in Westport and the day I finally get there they don't have Titegroup or any small pistol primers..WTF
Try stocking an initial stock, if it doesn't sell fast enough then simply don't replenish.

A retired Army guy I know in Groton tells me that
gun stores by his son's house in the Carolinas near military bases
have garbage cans full of pre-ban 20/30-round AR mags that go dirt cheap.

Doubtless some look like they've been run over by an Abrams, repeatedly.

But buy one of those canloads wholesale,
sit around the shop cleaning them up in between customers,
set a sticker price between free-state and PRM rates,
and you'll make back your money.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

Another consideration is making sure that the shop provides a friendly experience to the lady customers.
I can think of one particular north shore shop that the counter help couldn't possibly have acted more like a condescending D-bag towards the wife.
She's been shooting since before that nipple head was toilet trained and she ended up walking right back out with the $1400 dollars in cash that she walked in with.

And PLEASE don’t sell some no name fixed mag AR for $1000+. It stinks enough living in this state as it is, never mind when the gun shops are looking for 150% profit.

Here is an idea for you. Get some good, name brand AR’s, ‘fix’ the mags and sell for retail prices. You will have A LOT of customers.

Used guns can be interesting.

Very few shops in MA sell reloading supplies.

Milsurps are interesting.

Seasonally slug guns & muzzleloaders will sell.

Maybe look to the dark corners of the MA compliant handgun roster and find the stuff that isn’t in every shop. Rock Island armory has stuff on the list I don’t see in many shops. Walther as well.

OP, Good luck with this. I have watched many stores try to expand the number and style of guns they offer as well as the accessories, often tying up too much cash and they don't have enough to stay open. New guns don't sell fast enough because Four Seasons sells it $15 cheaper and people want the price match or will drive the 90 minutes to save the $15. The holster line you carry does't move as fast because people like so many different brands and the one you carried you thought was popular, but just not popular enough. The holster manufacturer wants you to carry the whole line, not just the holster for the Sig 365 and Glock 19. Your price on 6.5x55 reloading components is too high compared with online and no one buys, or online places have sales and buyers stock up. It is hard to find items that turn over fast enough to generate cash reliably in this business. Margins on new guns sucks, margins are nice used guns but they can be a headache if it doesn't function. Accessories have great margins but can be difficult to turn. It is a super tough business, good luck.

Offer low transfer fees and don’t make people jump through stupid hoops to prove that an obviously pre ban rifle is pre ban. That Would get you at least 1 new customer and probably a few more.
Yep. This. Plus post your pre-owned gun listings here on NES and on your own FacePlant or website (w/pix)! [thumbsup]

Answer phone and emails......or better yet if answering emails is hard just dont offer it as a contact option.

As much ammo, powder,primers that your local PD will let you have....

Honestly good luck with the ammo stuff. Your best bet is to offer your shop as a receiving outlet to locals so they can get stuff shipped in. maybe charge a small fee. This would reduce your inventory needs?

Good quality Military surplus.....

parts would be nice but good luck with that!

last thing is when customers come and and ask if you can get this or that Have more than one vendor option?

Back
Top Bottom