New Gun expended cartridge?

NY required a spent case with every new gun so the gun manufacturers added a spent case with all there guns. After years of NY actually trying to store, catalog and use this data this turned into a complete disaster and NY found that the spent case turned out to be useless. NY finally discontinued this and as far as I know no other state requires a spent case. There is most likely still a number of new guns that have a spent case in the box. New old stock.
As far as the Fed's there was never a requirement for manufacturers to supply a fired bullet to them.

The boys down in Ballistics hate processing shotgun evidence.

Ever try to match up smoothbore barrel scratches
on a handful of bird shot in a petri dish?

I don't think it works like that, the shot pellets never actually contact the inside of the barrel, because they're surrounded by the shot-cup section of the wad, which doesn't release the shot charge until after it exits the muzzle.

As long as Democrats believe guns deserve blame for crime, they will believe gun control can prevent crime. Why expect enforcement of gun laws to work? Just enforce laws prohibiting assault, robbery and theft. If you cannot do the latter, you cannot do the former.

Failure of gun control proves to us gun laws don’t work - to them it only proves we need more gun laws.

Another COVID booster. More masking and social distancing.

Progressive ideology cannot be disproven - it’s secular faith.

if you've ever watched them test fire guns you'd know right away that is not true and not possible. they don't take one gun out to the range one at a time, they roll them down to the test range on racks very similar to racks i saw in a national guard armory once, there are maybe 100 guns on the rack. i watched the procedure once and after, i highly doubt the case that's included is an actual case from your gun. time restraints basicly require the people doing the test firings just load and pound away to the point where they swap out shooters every so often. several people were loading mags while several were shooting then they swap jobs. again, i witnessed this operation with my own eyes but it was a while ago. maybe the procedure has changed since.
You conclusion contains the assumption that the manufacturers would not modify their procedure to use a brass catcher if the "gun specific" case was mandated by law. It's like someone back in 1967 saying "They can't put serial numbers on guns, I've seen the manufacturing process and there is just no time for it".

Economics would then dictate if it was cheaper to do this for all guns, create a separate SKU for guns destined for retail trade in states with the case requirement,.

@Rob Boudrie...by law? well now, they'd have to find a way. not saying it wouldn't be a logistical nightmare to prove they captured the exact bullet from a particular individual gun. they would have to fire one at a time into a bullet trap. but to just pack up a fired case in a gun box to show the gun was test fired, different story. an example...those ruger 678 govts came with a fired piece of .22 brass in the 1980's, just cause....it enhanced the package. looks and sounds good in factory literature. doe's anyone think they took one at a time out so they could capture that piece of brass from that exact gun.

it would be interesting to learn how they do do this in real manufacturing time. does the government really ask for a bullet from each gun manufactured? do they want one from every imported gun also? i'd love to see the storage facility. maybe they take photos and whooosh...off to the cloud? i dunno, seriously. we have a member or two that work for or have worked for s&w and ruger i think. maybe they can shed light on this capture system and procedure. my original post was an experience i had interviewing for a job. i got an in depth look of the entire manufacturing process, one of the duties of the job i interviewed for was test range supervisor. we spent a bit of time on the range, it's where i got my info i was talking about. as i said, things have probably changed since. this was ~2005-07, somewhere around that time frame.

i realize now i was going off in a different direction with my original answer. sorry for the confusion. sometimes i skim instead of actually reading and come away with something entirely different of what's being discussed.

it would be interesting to learn how they do do this in real manufacturing time. does the government really ask for a bullet from each gun manufactured? do they want one from every imported gun also? i'd love to see the storage facility. maybe they take photos and whooosh...off to the cloud?
There were either two or three states that were requiring a fired case (not bullet) from every new gun sold. The operative stupidity was that they would be able to identify guns by marks on the case and the firing pin imprints. They would photograph the cases when they came in and cross index them to a serial number.

Like so much of the nonsense thought up by people who've never run anything other than their mouths, it was an unworkable mess. The states doing it abandoned the plan after several years and zero workable results from the program. Spent a whole ton of other people's money, though.

EDIT: Huh. I was wrong about just taking pictures. Maryland, at least, actually kept the casings after taking the photos.

You know the best part of this? in the post above, greencobra conceptualized the stupidest system he could think of. Is anyone surprised that it turned out to be the one that Maryland tried? Seriously, these people are beyond parody.

Last edited:
You conclusion contains the assumption that the manufacturers would not modify their procedure to use a brass catcher if the "gun specific" case was mandated by law. ...
650doq.jpg

650dql.jpg

I knew a retired post office clerk from Elmont.

He got a side gig in Fullfillment at the company that advertised
"Custom Golf Driver - just fill out the Form with your individual measurements"
on the back page of the rotogravure.
(The ad that would alternate with the one for Sansabelt Slacks).

His workstation was a basket of Custom Order Forms,
a 55 gallon drum of generic drivers,
and a stack of shipping tubes.

Order fulfillment of the "Custom Drivers" consisted of:
  1. Writing the address from the Custom Order Form onto a shipping tube.
  2. Sealing a generic driver from the 55 gallon drum into the shipping tube.
  3. Tossing the tube into the Outgoing hopper.
  4. Tossing the fulfilled Custom Order Form in the trash.
  5. GOTO 1

This^
I bought a Ruger Vaquero .45LC sometime in the mid 2000's, which came with a fired case in an envelope with a sticker containing the gun info with S/N. I added the case to my brass supply.
I thought "what a joke".
Seriously, what criminal is going to use a single action revolver, and then spend the time to unload it and drop the shells on the ground before fleeing the crime scene ???
I did this with every new pistol I bought. Open package throw in reloading brass bin. Throw package out.

Back
Top Bottom