New folks check in and say, Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guy checking in! I'm Russ from Peabody and I came across the invitation to the forum at the fsgun.com site. This is great! I've been into motorcycles for years but recently sold my ride so, old diversions become new again. I started shooting 30 years ago when I was 18, have collected a few handguns over the years ( Colt 45 1911 Government Issue from WWII, Polish Radom 9mm, Rossi 38, Sterling 22, Raven 25, Baretta 25) and in the last few have started shooting alittle again with my now 19 year old son. I really want to shoot more but haven't made the time or found the right place to do it. I was thinking about sporting clays but $$ or lack there of makes it difficult (2 in college). Maybe defensive competition...who knows. Maybe just some more paper targets and a whole bunch of reloads. I'm rambling, sorry, but I'm very excited about this forum I know the relationships I formed with a bunch of forum members from an old mototcycle forum I belonged to.

Hopefully with this website I jut might figure out a way to shoot more and make a few new friends while doing it!

Hey Carguy, nice to have you. This is place to to meet lots of people with the same interests. Enjoy!

Welcome. As the other have said lots of info,and lots of nice people. The next Meet and Greet we do you'll have to try and come to. :D

Hey NESers,

Just for the record, I had to change my registration from MyKey to Mike508. See you on the forums :)

Welcome, Carguy - there are a few of us biker-types here, too!

As for something like IDPA, seems to me that you're already equipped for it with that Colt. (don't know much about the Radom, or I'd mention it, too). But all you need for the Colt is a few magazines and a holster and you're ready for IDPA.

Ross

hello

Hi,

Name is Henry.

I took the pistol class at my college (MIT) about twenty years ago, and really enjoyed it, we had a wonderful instructor. I recently got interested in target shooting again, and also interested in preparing for emergency home defense after watching the Hurricane Katrina aftermath.

Not owning any guns, I hadn't paid any attention to the gun laws, and was sort of shocked to find out how restrictive, draconian, and useless the MA gun laws seem to be these days. One thing I cannot get over is that the penalty on the books for commiting a crime with a gun is two to *maybe* five years extra jail time, but the penalty for storing your guns improperly could be ten years in prison ?!

I don't mind the background check for criminal history, but I felt insulted and kind of alarmed by having to give fingerprints to the police. If there were decent checks and balances, they would destroy those after the background check, but I am pretty sure they don't.

I also think that the police ought to have to have a very good reason for denying people the right to carry a concealed weapon, it seems like some jurisdictions just do that because they think it makes life easier for them.

Now that it concerns me directly, I'm definitely going to try to find ways to get the gun laws made less restrictive.

It's funny, when I was a kid, not so very long ago (the early 70's) we got to shoot rifles at day camp, and nobody thought anything unusual about it. Today that would seem like a very good recipe for a lawsuit. Now, I am going to try get my kids interested in target shooting. The problem is finding the time, with the very busy lifestyle that everyone seems to have these days, but I guess you've got to make time one way or another.

[/url]

Welcome and I know just what you're saying. Coming up here from the South it was a shock when I found out everything I had to do just to keep my guns.

But you learn and adapt, and just complain with everyone else as you pay inflated prices for what you want.

Welcome Henry. Not only to the wonderful world of NES, but to the MGL's regarding guns. Makes ya wnat to barf, don't it?

Welcome, Henry.

If you think that MA gun laws are ridiculous, try looking at New Jersey's. For EVERY handgun an NJ resident wants to buy, an individual purchase permit must be obtained... usually taking a few weeks in the process, and only good for about 90 days or so. And forget about getting ANY kind of carry permit unless you're a cop, security guard (and then it will be for duty only) or politcally connected.

But you're right... we should all be working to make things better. Good luck to all of us. BTW... have you joined GOAL yet?

Anyway, if you're looking for a place to shoot, take the class, or just find some like-minded friends, you've definitely found it.

Ross

Yes, I signed up for a GOAL membership. I think the only hope is to try to get people interested in target shooting. I don't think people have the time, opportunity, or inclination for hunting, and so target shooting is the only way that people will feel comfortable with firearms and thus take the mystique out of the laws.

Henry,
Glad you could join us here, and we are always ready to open our arms for another ready to fight the good fight!

Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom