New folks check in and say, Hi!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another new guy here. Moving from Australia to Windham, ME in a couple of months to be with my fiancé (soon to be wife). Have been to ME and MA a couple of times now, had a great time so far - except for the damn weather!

Am going to get into IDPA in Maine when I get there, will be nice living in a state & country without ricockulous gun laws -- which is what they are back home.

number9 said:
will be nice living in a state & country without ricockulous gun laws -- which is what they are back home.

Welcome aboard, Have you seen Massachusetts? You should feel at home. [wink]

Moderator said:
Welcome aboard, Have you seen Massachusetts? You should feel at home. [wink]
I sure have! Funnily enough I was in Boston last year. Went out for some beers in Somerville, and I only had my Australian drivers licence on me for ID (didn't bring my passport). They wouldn't serve me beer! But they gave me free cokes :p

C-pher said:
And does that mean that you have one of those cool accents? Just kidding. Welcome aboard, nice to have you here. I promise that we'll keep the "shrimp on the barbie" jokes down to a minimum. :D :D
Well I've been told I've got a pretty thick accent, though funnily enough it's closet to as Boston accent - I say "caaah" and "faaah" and stuff like that. Even some Mainers have trouble understanding it! As for the barbie, we say prawns and not shrimp. :D

Adam_MA said:
Welcome!
I'm sure you will enjoy being able to own a firearm once you get here.

Adam
Thanks! I'm hoping so, it might be a little funny not being a citizen (just a lowly permanent resident) and trying to buy a firearm for the first time, but hopefully it won't be too difficult. Maine is a "shall-issue" state, so they can't make it too hard... can they?

Lynne said:
Welcome number9 - bless your heart - that's definately quite a move!
Thankyou, lovely to be here 8)

TSBH said:
Well I just joined the forums today. I been at Realtree forums for a long time and was just nosing around on google and found these forums and thought I would give it a try. Then of course I seen the big Marine letters up on top of the screen and thought a jarhead must run this site which is good because I am a Marine myself here in Ma. I been up in Mass since last December and can't wait to leave. Too liberal here for me and this state is not hunter friendly. I am originally from Pa. I have 7 more years until I hit my 20 and I can retire.

Damn, a Gunny in less than 13? Welcome aboard and Semper Fi!

Number9,

Good to see you over here as well. You should be able to find plenty of info on IDPA here. Hopefully we can get you hooked on high power as well. :D The more the merrier.

Touch base when you're settled in & I'll get you out to a couple of the ranges in Maine.

CD

cdkayak said:
Number9,

Good to see you over here as well. You should be able to find plenty of info on IDPA here. Hopefully we can get you hooked on high power as well. :D The more the merrier.

Touch base when you're settled in & I'll get you out to a couple of the ranges in Maine.

CD
No problem, thanks for the help over at FRandG :) Just how "high power" are we talking about? I don't think I'm the kind for .50 Desert Eagles, but I'll take a Glock 21 any day!

number9 said:
cdkayak said:
Number9,

CD
No problem, thanks for the help over at FRandG :) Just how "high power" are we talking about? I don't think I'm the kind for .50 Desert Eagles, but I'll take a Glock 21 any day!

They are talking about rifle. And I believe that they use the standard AR-15's in .223 and maybe 308. But I know that they will tell you all about it.

Now, if you want to dress up like a western cowboy and do a little shooting, then let me know. I'll take you to some of our CAS (cowboy action shooting) matches and you can check it out.

http://northeastshooters.com/viewtopic.php?t=1251

C-pher said:
Now, if you want to dress up like a western cowboy and do a little shooting, then let me know. I'll take you to some of our CAS (cowboy action shooting) matches and you can check it out.

Otherwise referred to as "Retro IDPA" :D
They also hold some Cowboy action shooting at Falmouth, I haven't participated in any of those matches though.

Yes, the high power I was referring to is rifle. Tony started a good thread on that here as well.
http://northeastshooters.com/viewtopic.php?t=41

C-pher said:
number9 said:
cdkayak said:
Number9,

CD

They are talking about rifle. And I believe that they use the standard AR-15's in .223 and maybe 308. But I know that they will tell you all about it.

Wait, you are telling me that .223 is "high power"? Really?

I thought that was for like 30-06 up to 50BMG or something.

Just wondering.

Oh, as for the accent, people in Utah thought our MA accents were Australian when we went skiing out there. Pretty funny. They kept asking us to say beer. ("Beah!")

cdkayak said:
C-pher said:

Otherwise referred to as "Retro IDPA" :D
They also hold some Cowboy action shooting at Falmouth, I haven't participated in any of those matches though.

Yes, the high power I was referring to is rifle. Tony started a good thread on that here as well.
http://northeastshooters.com/viewtopic.php?t=41
To be honest, CAS doesn't really appeal to me - sorry. [wink]

I don't think I have the $ to get into high-power, but from the look of the Scarborough rifle events page I would love to come down to some of the "any rifle" days. My father-in-law-to-be has a bunch of rifles & shotguns, to begin with I'll only be buying a pistol for myself (for IDPA, range, whatever).

Later on, though... 8)

Hey number9 (the name of a great beer by the way)

Why not go over to the "Equipment and Ammo" forum and let us know what gun you are thinking of getting for your IDPA shooter.

Adam

Adam_MA said:
Hey number9 (the name of a great beer by the way)

Why not go over to the "Equipment and Ammo" forum and let us know what gun you are thinking of getting for your IDPA shooter.

Adam
No problem, I've been meaning to. I didn't know it was the name of a beer? I actually got the name from my favourite hockey player, Mike Modano (Dallas Stars).

C-pher said:
number9 said:
To be honest, CAS doesn't really appeal to me - sorry. [wink]

Don't be sorry, it's not for everyone.
I'm sure I'll wander by and watch a meet though, just to see for myself!

I grew up in Minnesota, used to live North Star hockey. I was heart broken when they moved to Dallas. I still watch them though.

derek said:
I grew up in Minnesota, used to live North Star hockey. I was heart broken when they moved to Dallas. I still watch them though.
I used to watch them back when they were North Stars, too. Happy Birthday for yesterday! I'm actually going to a Marine Ball tomorrow night; semper fi! I have some friends here in the MSG detachment.

number9 said:
derek said:
I used to watch them back when they were North Stars, too. Happy Birthday for yesterday! I'm actually going to a Marine Ball tomorrow night; semper fi! I have some friends here in the MSG detachment.

Only star I can think of that I liked was #35 Moog

Moderator said:
number9 said:
derek said:

Only star I can think of that I liked was #35 Moog
What about big Bill Guerin, wasn't he a Bruin before?

He was for 2 or 3 seasons. I don't dislike him but I am not a huge fan either. He's tough but he's no Stan Jonathan...don't know hy I said Stan...I just like him a lot :?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom