• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Hi Everyone,

My name is Darren and I live in Boston. I'm pretty new to firearms. My brother-in-law lives in Maine and has brought me to his gun club's range a few times and I'm hooked. I'm looking to learn as much as possible and hope that eventually I'll be able to contribute something beyond my opinion to the discussions.

Hello ArmaNotSoLite - thanks for your service and welcome to the forum.
Hello and welcome Darren, hopefully you will enjoy the forum as much as the rest of us.

Wishing you both the best and hope to see you in the discussions.

Hello all. Great website, it's been a real treasure trove of information, especially regarding MA gun-law information. I'm separating from active duty here in about three weeks, and moving over to the MA ANG and headed back to school in the fall. I'm a Florida resident who grew up and am currently stationed in NY. I didn't know gun laws could be worse than NY, but it looks like MA may take that honor. It's going to be interesting trying to sort this all out :)

Hello Square,

Welcome to the forum and yes MA is a real pain in the ass when it comes to understanding the gun laws.
Just use the search and many of the questions may have already been answered.
Other then that enjoy and hope to see you in the discussions.

Hello all,

Technically I already introduced myself in the green thread, But I shall make it formal here! I'm slightly new to the shooting world, being as I just now got my LTC. I joined this forum to enhance my knowledge in the realm of shooting, and to of course have fun! You all see like a nice group of people, and I think I'll enjoy myself here.

Anyway just wanted to say hello to you all.

-Paul [cheers]

Hi folks! Figured I should probably say Hi.

I've been following these forums for a while now, and the information/discussion is terrific! So much so that when I finally did sign up, I immediately went green. :D

I life in western MA right now, and finally got around to getting my LTC-A a few months ago. Was born and raised around here, but when I lived in VT for several years I had a lot of fun shooting there.

Anyway, thanks all for making and maintaining such an invaluable resource! I look forward to contributing however I can.

-nate

Hello and welcome Paul and Nate,

Glad to have you both here and hope to see you in the discussions. Thanks for both supporting the forum and going green. Enjoy

whats up everybody? kinda new here! what an awesome site! so much info, especially on this bogus state alot of us live in! i just got my ltc on friday and am going to pick up the new toy tonight(kahr pm9) from one of the great members here!

Hey there everyone! I just joined up and wanted to check in and get started! I was looking for a site that catered to mainly local shooters and thanks to a quick search I found this one! Went through the forums and really liked what I've seen so far, so I thought I'd join the discussion.

I currently live in New Hampshire, use-ta-be Vermonter. I've been an avid shooter since the Scout days many moons ago. The hobby (no, addiction) has stuck and I love every aspect of it, especially when you get to convert someone who never really "dug" firearms, but went once with you and now they have their own collection. Not to mention a new buddy to go to the range with.

Thanks to the Admin, and from what I've gathered so far, Derek, for initiating the site in the first place, looks like a lot of great stuff to be had here!

-#2.

(Not a very original name, or very catchy. I never was good at coming up with forum names. But I can remember it pretty easy. Any chance I can change that Admin? Lol.)

Welcome back Jamz :) Glad to see you back on the board.

Welcome Number2 - "Who does #2 work for ?" Sorry had to say it. Hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to seeing you in the discussions.

Hi everyone, new here, waiting for my LTC in Bourne, been almost a month now. I think the sargeant at the local pd said something about 6-8 weeks. Thinking of getting a pistol to keep in the house, target shooting etc,. not sure what i will get though.

Hi folks,

I'm about to go through the licensing process in the north shore. Any recommendations on where to take the safety course? I was thinking of either Boston Firearms in Revere or The Firearm Safety Academy in Malden.

Last edited:
Hello Lotsip and Taggart,

Welcome to the board to both of you.
Lotsip: your wait is almost over - hope you get it soon. Let us know what you decide on.
Taggart - check out http://www.thegoalfoundation.org/courses.html#pistol shooting for GOAL on the safety course. I always suggest you start the process of joining a club as soon as you know your interested.

BTW looks like a class on 22nd check out this thread: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ty-Course-for-LTC-FID-Maynard-Club-Tues.-3-22

Last edited:
Hi, My names Matt im 25 i live in Taunton, MA...still waiting on my licence to arrive in the mail (ltc A)..its been about 6 weeks ..Kinda getting a little anxious and cant wait for it to arrive ...any input on how long it will arrive ?

Hello Matt and welcome to the forum.

Did the licensing officer let you know how long you can expect to wait?
6-8 weeks is not uncommon here in MA cities and towns. Some have even said its longer then that.
That being said if he was friendly then just give him a call and request an update.

Hope you enjoy the forum and get the license soon.

Just registered on NES today, thanks for the quick approval. I live in Stow, MA and just got my LTC. Took the NRA Basic Pistol class in January, applied for LTC shortly thereafter, fingerprinted on 2/13, and received my unrestricted LTC-A in the mail yesterday. They told me less than 30 days, and it was exactly 29. Process was extremely easy in my town. Sorry to hear about all you other guys going through much more stringent conditions.

Hello Outdoorsyguy,

Glad to hear of your experience with the LTC process. Yes some places are tougher then others to get the unrestricted. I am glad to see you posting here and hope you enjoy the forum as much as the rest of us.

Hello everyone new here so I seen this and figured I needed to tell my story. I took the Mass Firearms class on November 19 with a buddy that I work with. So he lives in Lawrence, and I live in Peabody. Well he has already got his Class A unrestricted and purchased 3 guns, and well I still haven't even been able to get the appointment with this Dt Olsen to start the process. I have the application already done and have been trying to call this guy and email him since February. Since my wife works part time at the local YMCA here as a swim coach, she knew some Peabody police officers, they told me that the best thing to do was go to the station and get the guy while he was there. So about 3 weeks ago I did just that and he set up an appointment for me on Thursday the 17th, which was yesterday. So yesterday my wife left work early so she could come home to our 2 children, and I left to go to see this Dt Olsen guy. Well guess what, this guy wasn't even there, the officer at the desk looked it up and he wasn't supposed to be in that day. So oh man I'm so pissed at this point, but I had to hold my composer so they could use it against me later. So then as i was walking out of the station I called this guy and left a message as to whats up and for him to call, well as I'm writing this still no call from this guy.

So I am a member of Goal and NRA but anyone have any usefull info for me on this? Really trying to keep it civilized but damn I'm soooooo pissed.

thanks

Hello everyone new here so I seen this and figured I needed to tell my story. I took the Mass Firearms class on November 19 with a buddy that I work with. So he lives in Lawrence, and I live in Peabody. Well he has already got his Class A unrestricted and purchased 3 guns, and well I still haven't even been able to get the appointment with this Dt Olsen to start the process. I have the application already done and have been trying to call this guy and email him since February. Since my wife works part time at the local YMCA here as a swim coach, she knew some Peabody police officers, they told me that the best thing to do was go to the station and get the guy while he was there. So about 3 weeks ago I did just that and he set up an appointment for me on Thursday the 17th, which was yesterday. So yesterday my wife left work early so she could come home to our 2 children, and I left to go to see this Dt Olsen guy. Well guess what, this guy wasn't even there, the officer at the desk looked it up and he wasn't supposed to be in that day. So oh man I'm so pissed at this point, but I had to hold my composer so they could use it against me later. So then as i was walking out of the station I called this guy and left a message as to whats up and for him to call, well as I'm writing this still no call from this guy.

So I am a member of Goal and NRA but anyone have any usefull info for me on this? Really trying to keep it civilized but damn I'm soooooo pissed.

thanks
My first advice to you is to keep your cool; don't be "pissed". It will only work against you and give your chief a reason to deny your application, even though he doesn't need a reason here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts.

Secondly, call the chief's office and set up an appointment with him. When asked by his administrator what the purpose is, simply state that you want to discuss firearms licensing. If s/he tells you that you need to talk to Detective So-and-so, tell her/him that you've been trying to do that for xx weeks and apparently he's too busy to see you.

Be aware... raise your voice or make any condescending comments and you will never get your LTC in that town.

Hi Everyone, I just registered for the Forum today. What a great collection of information. I will be starting my license process in Massachusetts after I complete the MA Basic Class next week. Looking forward to getting everything finished so I can have my firearms with me and not with my family out of state. I've been living in Somerville, MA for a couple years and decided it was time to get things moving. Looking forward to being a member of the forum, ~Bill

Howdy,

Like many local shooters, I've been lurking on the forum for a few years. This truly is one of the best forums out there, I've really learned alot from everyones collective wisdom. I'm a reasonably active re-loader and un-loader of metal projectiles in most platforms.

Just like they told me in grammar school, it feels good to be a participator. I hope I can continue to learn much and contribute where I can.

Regards

Last edited:
Just registered a few days ago. Been a lurker for about a year, though. Born in Alaska, hunted with my father for years as a kid, taking down my own water fowl. Been around these "bad things" all my life. Father finally got on my case a while back to get my license. Thanks to a few folks at work for pointing me to this forum and to GOAL, where I finally took the Mass LTC course under the tutelage of Jon Green.

Hello Bill, Slowdive, and Joeendris :)

Glad to have each one of you - thanks for support by going green slowdive.
Join in the conversations and enjoy the forum.

another new guy

hey everyone, been lurking for awhile and signed up after i took the safety course @MSF this past weekend. Currently rounding up all the necessary paperwork to try and get a class A in lawrence.

Back
Top Bottom