• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New Folks Check In and Say Hi #4

Genuine Noob

It’s about time I came out of lurking and and said hello. I’d love to contribute, but being a genuine noob, I really don’t have much to contribute and have been a big fan of the search button! Anyhoo, here’s my story.

I’ve always believed in the RKBA and always had some interest in firearms, but not quite enough to drive me to spend the time and money chasing something that I might never get (I was far from a well behaved child). Well, working right next to Connecticut’s biggest gun fanatic, the gun coolness factor is hard to ignore. It didn’t take him long to get me to want to go shooting and I started soaking up everything I possibly could about anything related to firearms. Especially Mass Gun Laws and I learned very quickly that they suck. They sucked so much it instantly destroyed about 99% of the momentum I had in pursuing an LTC at the time. He’d try to get me back into it by showing me all sorts of firearms related stuff and inviting me to his club anytime I wanted, but it just wasn’t enough. Every time I reviewed the requirements it just discouraged me further; I gather this is what the intention is. Fortunately for me, my brother at the time was also working on getting his LTC, and he pushed me enough to go to the Firearms Home Safety course at Riverside with him and his wife last fall.

The Home Safety course that Walter and his team gave was excellent. They gave out some excellent advice and had a huge wealth of knowledge and experience. Walter later mentioned a six week basic pistol course that would be available in ’08 and both my brother and I instantly said we wanted to sign up. Well, come end of February, he and I are attending Walter’s Basic Pistol and Marksmanship course and this was the first time I ever fired a handgun. Monday nights were the highlight of my weeks for next five weeks and this was the best $150 I’ve ever spent. At the end of March the course concluded and my pursuit for an LTC was back on track.

So, here I am, member of NES, GOAL, NRA, and conditional member of BRP. I went to BPD just yesterday to submit my application and my range test is Thursday afternoon at Moon Island.

I'd like to say thanks to the providers and all the contributors of this forum, it’s good to be here.

-Kevin

Hey all, new here my names steve I live in north attleboro. I just signed up at north east trading company, for their firearms safety class with the hopes of getting my class A/ALP.Wondering if anyone had experince with the NAPD? thanks for these forums guys lots of helpful info.

Hey all, My name is John and I live in Norwood. After taking a few years off (9) from shooting and outdoor life in general, I've opened my eyes again and am back into shooting guns and archery, hunting etc. I first read forum while looking into reloading equipment, and log on when I can. I currently shoot in combat league at my club and reload .45 ACP, but will soon be reloading .30-06 for A-bolt and BAR. Sorry about the rant. Site is well organized. P.S. I was four years old during Tet Ofensive, but thanks to all who serve now and in past and future.

Hello Mr. Fixxah - welcome and glad to see your getting back into shooting.
Incredible group we have here - pull up a chair and make yourself at home.

I'm Law Dawg, or LD for short. I'm an Air Marshal working for his government cheese in the Southwest. Been in law enforcement for the better part of two decades. I train where and when I can, mostly focusing on CQB stuff (I've studied Muy Thai, JKD and BJJ for martial arts and combined them into an art named Old School Beat Down (my friend named his martial art this and I stole it shamelessly). I train quite a bit in firearms, of course, but my real passion is scenario training. "It's time to take your skills for a test drive!"

I've been in a couple of firefights, been attacked with a damned machete (watch LD run away fiercely!) and had more than my share of donnybrooks and dustups. A few scars and a lot of hard won experience later I hope to be wiser and better, but I'll keep training just to hedge my bets.

Salute.

Walter later mentioned a six week basic pistol course that would be available in ’08 and both my brother and I instantly said we wanted to sign up. Well, come end of February, he and I are attending Walter’s Basic Pistol and Marksmanship course and this was the first time I ever fired a handgun. Monday nights were the highlight of my weeks for next five weeks and this was the best $150 I’ve ever spent. At the end of March the course concluded and my pursuit for an LTC was back on track.

HAH! I was in the Basic Pistol Marksmanship class at Riverside last month as well, I really enjoyed the class and would recommend it to anyone. Glad to see you found the forums :)

~Droid

Howdy New guy here, Former USMC, Father of 4 boys, held a bunch of different jobs over the years, presently taking care of two medical clinic buildings and the head office (Facilities Coordinator... I fix Sh$t. [smile]) I enjoy shooting, fishing, Golf and long walks on the beach... [rofl]

Hi, new here. Name is Bill. Found this site surfing the net for pistol shooting info. Am 67 years young, think I'm 47 and look it![rofl] Have been shooting off and on since my teens. Got done drag racing in 2005 and took up the handgun addiction again. Hope to aquaint myself with what is new, but will stick with a little of what is old. Am an NRA member and support the second amendment.

Ah, whoops. Found this thread a little late.

Howdy.

I found my way over from THR, TFL, APS, etc. I live in Rochester, NH and shoot at Major Waldron's.

Looking to do some more IDPA, USPSA, and other shoots now that I am settled in here in NH.

Hi everyone! I've been a visitor to NES.com for a while, but had a few minutes to register finally. I live in SE MA along Rte 95, I'm a career firefighter with previous experience as a 911 dispatcher (police & fire), I have a wonderful wife & 2 yr old son (we have another "player to be named" on the way very soon, and the wife will be getting her LTC afterwards) and I've just renewed my LTC & waiting for it to come in. Long story short, I never owned a firearm previously, but I expect to in the near future. I currently looking at the S&W MP 9 (with plans for the trigger job & night sights), and possibly a Remington 870 12 gauge for the homestead. Long term, I'd like to look into a Glock, a 1911, and an AR, but we'll see how it goes. Anyways, this is a great forum and I've learned quite a bit already. Thanks and stay safe!

(side note: I'm a huge hockey fan, Go Red Wings!, and I also enjoy football, NASCAR, and golf.)

Fortunately for me, my brother at the time was also working on getting his LTC, and he pushed me enough to go to the Firearms Home Safety course at Riverside with him and his wife last fall.

I would be the brother that convinced him to go to the class. I've also been lurking here for a while and don't have enough knowledge to contribute yet either. I got started in all of this when I went to go renew my FID that I'd gotten back in HS and did not realize it was such a hassle to get a permit. I did not realized they expired! Back then I went down to the PD, filled out a form and a week later got a card in the mail. The only reason I went for the renew was because I have a rifle in Maine that I wanted bring to MA to use for the summer.

So hopefully I'll be able to get Kev to go take a CC course and the CMP later this summer/fall. I've never seen a person worry so much about taking the Plum Island test either. I went out and bought a 357 revolver for Kev to practice with. Once he gets his license he'll have a 357 revolver to shoot with.

My wife was I think 3 months pregnant at the time of Home Safety Course and the doctors recommended against taking the pistol course because of potential hazards. But she will be applying for her LTC Class A ALP hopefully this week. I told her we would go to 4S to see Carl to get her pepper spray and something in a 32 one we got her carded.

Also, Acton should be labeled as a green town. The licensing officer real nice and I got my card in the mail within 5-6 weeks.

Thanks for reading,
Chris

Last edited:
Hello

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum but I'm here because I live in the Northeast and I'm a shooter. I'm in the market for a new (used, actually) .22 revolver and thought I'd look around here for some opinions on some of the gun stores in the region.

I'm a member of the NRA and GOAL and I've taken some very informative classes. I'm hoping to read up on the threads and learn a few new things about carrying in New England. I'm licensed in a couple of states and may get a couple of more out-of-state licenses. This seems to be a great place with lots of helpful info.

Hello Pomeraniac - welcome!

Glad to see your already a supporter of NRA and GOAL. You will find this forum to be the best shooters community on the net.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom