New Canik TTI combat failure to fire.

Sam P

NES Member
First time at the range with a new Canik TTI combat I can't tell you how disappointed I am. I shot a 100 rounds of Winchester 124gr Nato training ammunition. I had 14 episodes of failure to fire. The round gets chambered trigger pull feels normal seems like I can hear the striker fire, but it never hits the primer. Every time it failed I dropped the mag ejected round in the chamber and put in back in the mag installed mag racked the slide and it fired fine. I did not expect this from such a highly anticipated 1,000.00 gun. I also had a TP9SFX and a TP9DA with me and it fired all of this ammunition fine. I have sent a message to Canik customer service.

Could be a quality control escape. Have you removed the firing pin and confirmed that there is no grease or other obstructions interfering with its movement? I have seen imported guns where there was heavy grease in the firing pin track that caused it to light strike or no strike. Cleaned out the track on the slide, lubed and it was perfect.

There are other possible common causes that just require some examination.

Some percentage of guns from the factory will fail. Kimbers more often than anyone but... What matters now is a) can you fix it yourself quickly or b) how well does their customer service do to support you.

If you are uncomfortable with taking it down all the way to look for the issue, feel free to stop by the shop tomorrow when we are open. Our gunsmith can take a quick look.

@Dean Safety

www.deansafety.com/directions for directions
DeanSafety - Google Search for hours

Could be a quality control escape. Have you removed the firing pin and confirmed that there is no grease or other obstructions interfering with its movement? I have seen imported guns where there was heavy grease in the firing pin track that caused it to light strike or no strike. Cleaned out the track on the slide, lubed and it was perfect.

There are other possible common causes that just require some examination.

Some percentage of guns from the factory will fail. Kimbers more often than anyone but... What matters now is a) can you fix it yourself quickly or b) how well does their customer service do to support you.

If you are uncomfortable with taking it down all the way to look for the issue, feel free to stop by the shop tomorrow when we are open. Our gunsmith can take a quick look.

@Dean Safety

www.deansafety.com/directions for directions
DeanSafety - Google Search for hours
The gun did look like it was over lubed when I took the slide off. I cleaned the barrel and the slide I didn't think of cleaning firing pin and its track. I will try that. Thank you

I was going to buy one these. Might be having second thoughts.

One bad gun does not a product make. Even manufacturers like HK will make a dud like that once in a blue moon. Canik is generally on the better part of the arc in terms of QC. The out of box fail/dump rate on caniks is pretty low. They would easily beat Smith and Ruger without even trying, if it was measured. Some would argue that's not a high bar, though. Admittedly with smith they took a shit in their own well with the BG380, original shield etc. 🤣

One bad gun does not a product make. Even manufacturers like HK will make a dud like that once in a blue moon. Canik is generally on the better part of the arc in terms of QC. The out of box fail/dump rate on caniks is pretty low. They would easily beat Smith and Ruger without even trying, if it was measured. Some would argue that's not a high bar, though. Admittedly with smith they took a shit in their own well with the BG380, original shield etc. 🤣
But but equalizer!

On the FTFs, was there really no mark on the primers at all? Or was there a sign of (light) strike?

Winchester NATO 9x19 is known to have hard primers. Race guns often have pretty light striking force.

Mouth stuff is saved for the Walthers
I have both... if I could put the walther grip textureonto a canik...id be really happy

I like the grip panel where your support thumb goes on caniks...and the walther slides look retarded

I do like how you can put a grown up optic on the walthers with sights though

First time at the range with a new Canik TTI combat I can't tell you how disappointed I am. I shot a 100 rounds of Winchester 124gr Nato training ammunition. I had 14 episodes of failure to fire. The round gets chambered trigger pull feels normal seems like I can hear the striker fire, but it never hits the primer. Every time it failed I dropped the mag ejected round in the chamber and put in back in the mag installed mag racked the slide and it fired fine. I did not expect this from such a highly anticipated 1,000.00 gun. I also had a TP9SFX and a TP9DA with me and it fired all of this ammunition fine. I have sent a message to Canik customer service.
Try swapping in the striker from one of the other Caniks. Can’t imagine the Combat is different as they’ve all been the same until now. A very easy part to rule out.

I will be very interested to hear the technical update on this issue.

In my own experience, there can be various causes for light strikes. But if there is actually no strike, then a possible cause is an issue with the firing pin block safety.

Has canik gotten back to you yet. Curious on thier customer service

I'm a big Canik fan. Jumped on the SFX when it first came out...been shooting competition with it for years.

However....they really have taken a turn towards "fugly"..enough with the gold sh@t.
Agreed on the gold crap ...... I have one of the old TP9 SF , I've never had an issue with it ,and it has always eaten any ammo I put through it.

Back
Top Bottom