New AR-15 occasionally fails to lock bolt into battery

Just to follow up with this, I got in touch with Windham Weaponry (who were very helpful) and they said it was probably an improperly seated extractor — one that was "high" (and not in the drug sense [laugh]). They sent me a picture of what proper vs. improper looked like, so I took a picture of my bolt assembly's business end and sent it to them. Based on that they overnighted a new bolt assembly to me. I should get it today and I am going to try it out this weekend. I'll post results here.

UPDATE

Got the new bolt assembly. There was definitely a difference in the extractor placement. My old one was flush with the bolt face, the new one is recessed somewhat. Let's keep our fingers crossed till I get to the range.

Last edited:
Thanks for the followup!

Post the good and bad bolt extractor photos please! Interesting.

Now my question is: how's your head spacing with this new bolt?

Spacing seems real good. Here's the picture Erik from Windham Weaponry sent me so you can see the difference between good and bad.

extractors.jpg

Funny, this is a pretty big picture but it looks really small when I upload it. Is there a trick to uploading large pix?

Spacing seems real good. Here's the picture Erik from Windham Weaponry sent me so you can see the difference between good and bad.

View attachment 38247

Funny, this is a pretty big picture but it looks really small when I upload it. Is there a trick to uploading large pix?

Okay, so that's the EJECTOR they're talking about, not the extractor. I checked my AR bolts and the ejectors are just slightly recessed like in the "preferred" photo. But it makes me question WHY the ejector sticks out like that though--something is out of spec or maybe it's just not installed right. Maybe Erik and WW should check that before they ship, eh?

No trick to uploading pics. When hosted by NES a thumbnail displays but if you click on it you get the full size photo.

Headspacing is the distance from the bolt face into the chamber neck (or whatever it's called). When you change bolts or barrels it's typically advised to check headspace.

Okay, so that's the EJECTOR they're talking about, not the extractor.
Ah, my bad. I meant ejector too. The other day I said MP4 when I meant MP5 and another time I said M4 when I meant M40 (sniper rifle). I think I need a new brain.I'm real careful not to call my wife by the dog's name, though. If I ever fail at that, you probably won't see me around anymore. [wink]
Headspacing is the distance from the bolt face into the chamber neck (or whatever it's called). When you change bolts or barrels it's typically advised to check headspace.
I don't have a headspace gauge. Before I installed the new bolt I measured both bolt assemblies against each other, and they seem to be exact matches with all the features in exactly the same places, lugs identical length and width as far as I could eyeball it. So I figured the headspace would be the same (or close enough). Do you think I need to invest in a headspace gauge?Again, thanks for any help. This is my first AR, so it's a learning experience for me.

Last edited:
Final update

The new bolt assembly from Windham Weaponry did the trick. The recessed ejector made the difference.

I burned the last 100 rounds of the steel case WPA .223 Remington with no failures to lock at all, then ran through 100 rounds of brass 5.56 NATO just as easy. I am a happy camper.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice in this thread. I appreciate it. Even though the problem turned out to be something different from what the various folks thought, I learned a lot from everyone sharing their knowledge.

Also big thanks to Erik from Windham Weaponry for diagnosing and solving my problem so fast.

Last edited:
I know this is over a year later... but I am having the same issues with my Windham Weaponry Ar-15. I even had to do a mortar cycle at the range today. Talk about frustrating. I even had a bullet stuck in the barrel at one point. I took to my local shop and just had them send it back as I didn't want to mess with it and screw with my warranty. I'm surprised that I am having this issue with a Windham gun.

I know this is over a year later... but I am having the same issues with my Windham Weaponry Ar-15. I even had to do a mortar cycle at the range today. Talk about frustrating. I even had a bullet stuck in the barrel at one point. I took to my local shop and just had them send it back as I didn't want to mess with it and screw with my warranty. I'm surprised that I am having this issue with a Windham gun.

WTF is a mortar cycle?

A bullet stuck in the barrel is usually not because of a problem with the firearm, but a serious ammo problem! What were you shooting?

Did you look at your ejector?

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...into-battery?p=2529746&viewfull=1#post2529746

The guy in the vid should have applied pressure via the charging handle while he slammed the gun. That would free the bolt with less slamming.

It also forces you to get down with the gun, so there is less chance you will flash your face with the muzzle of the loaded gun.

Back
Top Bottom