• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New .380ACP Concealed Carry Pistol??? Suggestions??

BW23

NES Member
So I'm starting to hate these new "fad" pistols with all the occurring issues. I'm left with a P.O.S. that has been shipped to the manufacturer back and forth to no avail.

What is a rock solid .380 Pistol for concealed carry? Of course it has to be Mass compliant which sucks. And a laser add-on or integrated would be key.

I was thinking of the LCP w/integrated laser but again this is probably too new too. And probably plagued with all the 1st generation BS issues and malfunctions.

I'd like to find a double action pistol (but it's not a must) that can fit in my pocket holster. Suggestions with your reasons would be greatly appreciated!

The only reason I'm looking at .380's b/c I don't think there is a pistol carrying 9mm out there.

I've heard about the Walther PPK but I don't know much about it nor know anyone who actually owns one.

-BW

Last edited:
Get an LCP, and ditch the laser. If you actually need to use that gun at the distance it was meant for, you'll never see the laser anyways, and it just adds cost and bulk.

The LCP I had was very reliable. The only reason I don't have it is because I didn't carry it often enough to justify keeping it around.

-Mike

switch to 9mm and forget about your problems
(sorry had to be said)
If you don't think there is a good selection of concealed carry 9mm handguns you will want to do a bit more research.

switch to 9mm and forget about your problems
(sorry had to be said)
If you don't think there is a good selection of concealed carry 9mm handguns you will want to do a bit more research.

The shops near me are I guess to small compared to Four Seasons. And that place is 1.5 hours away from me.

What is the smallest 9mm concealed carry pistol? I just saw the S&W Shield but christ, I can't deal with the growing pains of a NEW pistol again.

Yup. Kahr PM9. It easily fits in a pocket, there is a MA-legal version, and it is striker-fired with a long trigger pull.

I can't seem to find a good site or video comparing the sizes of the 380's. Most are just sales pitches and not real reviews.

I love my S&W BodyGuard 380, but the laser is pretty inconvenient and I never use it. I didn't like the sights on the LCP and I didn't want to depend on the laser so I went with the BG380. You also mention MA Compliance being an issue, but I dont think the LCP is MA Compliant... Doesn't mean you can't get one if that what you want though.

Perhaps a Sig 238? nice little gun, like a mini 1911. my friend has one that ive shot and it fit well in the hand and had decent night sights on it as well! i agree with the others, the laser is really a downer than an upper. it makes the guns heavier, makes holster fitment a pain usually, and is ineffective at the range a .38o is going to be used in.

Dom

The shops near me are I guess to small compared to Four Seasons. And that place is 1.5 hours away from me.

What is the smallest 9mm concealed carry pistol? I just saw the S&W Shield but christ, I can't deal with the growing pains of a NEW pistol again.

This will get you started: http://www.best9mm.com/compact9mm.html

Pick a few that fit your criteria - try them out (easy by going green in support of the forum and asking to meet at a range with a fellow member)
Decide which exactly you like and then start calling shops or looking at the classifieds to purchase it.

My wife just got a Sig p232 which I think would make a good carry gun. Very similar look to the PPK/S, but without the external safety (de-cocker only, DA/SA).

I was considering pocket carrying it this summer (if she'll let me).

My wife just got a Sig p232 which I think would make a good carry gun. Very similar look to the PPK/S, but without the external safety (de-cocker only, DA/SA).

The 232 is way too big for me to pocket carry. The Kahr PM9 is smaller and is 9mm.

The P232 is gigantic, in relative terms, for a single stack .380. not sure how you are gonna carry that in a pocket. That and most of the MA ones are just a big chunk of stainless. They are nice guns but not compact in any way. [laugh]

-Mike

no reason to worry about a laser, or even sights on a small pocket carry. They are not target pistols, and for practical use, you won't have time to line up sights at close distance, let alone fumble around for a laser switch.
If you want ultimate reliability, go for a Jframe, or PM9 with no external safety.

The P232 is gigantic, in relative terms, for a single stack .380. not sure how you are gonna carry that in a pocket. That and most of the MA ones are just a big chunk of stainless. They are nice guns but not compact in any way. [laugh]

-Mike

In a pocket holster in cargo shorts, I was thinking. Hopefully I wouldn't dent my car getting in and out. [smile]

Another characteristic is recoil, ive heard, ( since im not shooting the 238 vs kp380 vs keltec p3at till thursday at FF ) that the lcp / keltec stings after a few clips your hands feel it compared to the p238 which is a pleasure to shoot all day.

I myself am looking forward to shooting them, i have a feeling the 238 will win out and not even a 1911 fan lol

In a pocket holster in cargo shorts, I was thinking. Hopefully I wouldn't dent my car getting in and out. [smile]

I wear cargo pants. The 232 wouldn't fit in my pockets. There is a reason that the SIG 232 is not shown on this picture: http://mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

Here is a comparison of the 232 with a Kahr T9. The T9 is larger than the P9, which is larger than the PM9. Only the PM9 is a pocket gun:

P232andT9002.jpg

Last edited:
Is it just me or does that Khar bear a striking resemblance to a Sig?

That's a tasty lookin gun. Might have to try and have the fiance shoot one of those.

no reason to worry about a laser, or even sights on a small pocket carry. They are not target pistols, and for practical use, you won't have time to line up sights at close distance, let alone fumble around for a laser switch.
If you want ultimate reliability, go for a Jframe, or PM9 with no external safety.

The above is good advice. I carried a Jframe for many years before I changed over to a semi-auto with higher mag capacity.

Well I'd go with a proven winner with literally decades of history and service behind it and that would be the Walther PP or PPK or PPK/S.

If I lived in a free state, I'd definitely look at the new Diamondback.

I don't like single actions for pocket carry, but certainly the Colt Mustang was well received in the past and the new Sigs are apparently very well thought of.

Like another poster, I still think a J frame Smith is a good way to go, and I think now they are better than ever and relatively inexpensive. If you are worried about capacity, two can be carried almost as easily as one.

Get an LCP, and ditch the laser. If you actually need to use that gun at the distance it was meant for, you'll never see the laser anyways, and it just adds cost and bulk.

The LCP I had was very reliable. The only reason I don't have it is because I didn't carry it often enough to justify keeping it around.

-Mike

I took this advice from Mike when I was looking for a pocket pistol, too. Absolutely no regrets.

Back
Top Bottom