• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New .380ACP Concealed Carry Pistol??? Suggestions??

Question for the Sig P238 owners. Have you ever accidentally hit the mag release while shooting or have had the mag release engage while pocket carrying?

Never happened while I was shooting, and I have shot it a fair amount.

I have not carried it that much yet, but will be starting to very soon. I'm not too worried about it.

That video review above does a really good job of explaining the gun, I think. It's a pocket gun for someone who wants to shoot their pocket gun. It's heavier, but has a pretty decent trigger and really nice sights on it. I shoot mine every time I go to the range...not just for practice but because I genuinely enjoy shooting it.

I like the idea that I can shoot it decently at slightly longer ranges than you might expect, even though that would probably never happen in a real defensive situation. Lot of capability in a little package.

Another vote for the P238

Bought one off NES a bit back and love it. Easy to shoot, small and as close to a Colt Mustang, without being a Mustang...

Well I'd go with a proven winner with literally decades of history and service behind it and that would be the Walther PP or PPK or PPK/S.

If I lived in a free state, I'd definitely look at the new Diamondback.

I don't like single actions for pocket carry, but certainly the Colt Mustang was well received in the past and the new Sigs are apparently very well thought of.

Like another poster, I still think a J frame Smith is a good way to go, and I think now they are better than ever and relatively inexpensive. If you are worried about capacity, two can be carried almost as easily as one.

I would prefer not to have a single action as a pocket carry. The single stack style is where i'm leaning towards instead of j-frames. Mainly because of the profile in your pocket. I would love to see Kahr PM9 but I haven't seen on in stores. What do they usually cost?

Question for the Sig P238 owners. Have you ever accidentally hit the mag release while shooting or have had the mag release engage while pocket carrying?

My fiancee has one, but uses a Crossbreed holster. One thing that happens if she isn't careful is the safety can push against the leather when being holstered and switches off.

Thats less than ideal!

LOL

I was thinking about a mini tuck or something for this gun. Hmmm.

Yea, that was the only drawback to hers so far. I mean that won't cause it to go off, just if you hear it make sure to switch it back up. Everything else about it is pretty nice. The only reason I wouldn't get one is the recoil feels a little snappy on my trigger finger.

I checked one out at lunch today and handling it in person alleviates my concerns about the mag release. Compared to some of the polymer mouse guns in which I have unintentional hit the mag release while shooting or pocket carrying, the P238 grips are much wider than the mag release button. I haven't shot it yet but I just don't see the same problem occurring. Diskothek's comment about the safety is a concern for me though.

Never happened while I was shooting, and I have shot it a fair amount.

I have not carried it that much yet, but will be starting to very soon. I'm not too worried about it.

That video review above does a really good job of explaining the gun, I think. It's a pocket gun for someone who wants to shoot their pocket gun. It's heavier, but has a pretty decent trigger and really nice sights on it. I shoot mine every time I go to the range...not just for practice but because I genuinely enjoy shooting it.

I like the idea that I can shoot it decently at slightly longer ranges than you might expect, even though that would probably never happen in a real defensive situation. Lot of capability in a little package.

I have had the P238 for a year now, (used to use a PPK/S) and have never had the safety accidentally switch off when holstering (using an Elite IWB) or experienced any FTF or FTE. I shoot about 50-100 rounds a month through it. The sights are excellent.

I also have the Crimson Trace laserguard for it, and lately have been wondering whether to ditch it, since when I practice drawing and shooting, I never seem to use it to aim. I guess I would advise shooting whatever you end up buying for a month or two, then decide if you need a laser. You can buy a lot of ammo (even in 380) for the cost of a laser

Well I'd go with a proven winner with literally decades of history and service behind it and that would be the Walther PP or PPK or PPK/S.

If I lived in a free state, I'd definitely look at the new Diamondback.

I don't like single actions for pocket carry, but certainly the Colt Mustang was well received in the past and the new Sigs are apparently very well thought of.

Like another poster, I still think a J frame Smith is a good way to go, and I think now they are better than ever and relatively inexpensive. If you are worried about capacity, two can be carried almost as easily as one.

If you were to go with a PPK find an old one. I had a S&W and it was not the most reliable or the most comfortable gun to shoot or carry. It was a shame because I shot it very well. I wound up ditching it and going the j-frame route for pocket carry and have been very happy.

I would prefer not to have a single action as a pocket carry. The single stack style is where i'm leaning towards instead of j-frames. Mainly because of the profile in your pocket. I would love to see Kahr PM9 but I haven't seen on in stores. What do they usually cost?

Mid 700's. That's for the Ma version. There is a non ma version in the classifieds![wink]

Another characteristic is recoil, ive heard, ( since im not shooting the 238 vs kp380 vs keltec p3at till thursday at FF ) that the lcp / keltec stings after a few clips your hands feel it compared to the p238 which is a pleasure to shoot all day.

I myself am looking forward to shooting them, i have a feeling the 238 will win out and not even a 1911 fan lol

Ahhhh, he said "clip" that means a small puppy was killed somewhere

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

As much as I hate going larger but it looks like I may have to go for a 9mm pocket carry pistol from my BG380. I wish they allowed the LCP (380) in Mass.

What are some absolutely without a doubt reliable 9mm for carrying. Preferably pocket carrying. Please keep in my I live in good ole Mass so many pistols aren't allowed [frown]

I know Kahr PM9 is a great one. Extremely hard to find though. I was thinking of the LC9. I don't know if the Kimber Solo is available in Mass gun shops.

Suggestions?? Key thing...ABSOLUTELY DEPENDABLE. 380's are still welcome.

I have a Mustang. Nice shooter but needs to be broken in. Dropping it off at Santurri LTD to have him go through it and polish feed ramp.

As much as I hate going larger but it looks like I may have to go for a 9mm pocket carry pistol from my BG380. I wish they allowed the LCP (380) in Mass.

What are some absolutely without a doubt reliable 9mm for carrying. Preferably pocket carrying. Please keep in my I live in good ole Mass so many pistols aren't allowed [frown]

I know Kahr PM9 is a great one. Extremely hard to find though. I was thinking of the LC9. I don't know if the Kimber Solo is available in Mass gun shops.

Suggestions?? Key thing...ABSOLUTELY DEPENDABLE. 380's are still welcome.

If you want reliability then I'd stay away from the Kimber. So far reports show its very ammo specific and IMHO too expensive compared to other offerings that have been around longer and have a more proven track record. I know lots of people dump on Kel-Tec because they look and feel "cheap" and they've had some teething problems with new models but I've had a 2nd Gen P3AT for 5+ years and it has never had a hiccup. Had a 1st Gen before that and never had any issues either so I think the P3AT is a reliable 380.
If you go for tiny 9mm then at least for me I'm considering a PM9. Shot a friend's PM9 recently and its accurate and comfortable.

I went to the dark side today. Sold my Ruger LC9 and bought the Sig P238. I really liked the LC9 but the P238 fit better and i LOVE the 1911 configuration. After two mags, i was shooting steel plates at twenty five yards. I carry a Glock 26 and love that too, but i see the p238 splitting carry duties as it is easy to wear. A new sig fan boi is born.

I love my P238. it shoots great. here is a range report that i did a year ago. i rented both the sig and ruger. Night and day. I ended up buying the sig. The one issue i have is that the safety is for rightys and i am a lefty. it is very awkward on the draw for a lefty. It has been so frustrating for me to get off safe quickly , i considered leaving it off safe and not carrying one in the chamber as I can rack the slide faster than i can get to the safety. but if I do that, it is an entirely different thread!!!! and a whole lot of other opinions. [laugh]

better off if you are lefty, go another route.

oh and never had the problems you mentioned

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...Ruger-LCP-vs-Sig-P238-range-report?highlight=

Walther P99 AS or P99c AS. Both pack 10 rounds of 9mm. The compact model is a little smaller, shorter barrel, slide and grip. Same width as full size. But the full size is so darn light and it really is not that much larger than the compact. The full size P99 is much smaller than the typical "full size" semi-auto pistol. Four inch barrel.

They are both very easy to carry iwb with an extra mag. Both are da/sa and are available in.40.

The only problem is finding one....

...They are both very easy to carry iwb with an extra mag. Both are da/sa and are available in.40.

The only problem is finding one....

The other problem is he was looking for a "pocket gun".

I wonder how the P99c compares to the PPS, and how they determined there is room in the marketplace for both.

Loved shhoting the sig 238, awesome 380, but its a 1911 manual of arms which im not used to.

Kahr's grip wasnt as nice, and it was very hard to rack the slide on that tiny gun.

.40 caliber i did testing , and you can safely leave a 238 in half cocked , pull the trigger, it will fall but not go off, we tested this multiple times, it doesnt have enough force to reach the primer.

leaving the hammer down, we didnt test out hitting the hammer with something because it wasnt my gun.

If your going to carry safety off, fyi half cocked is still safe. As im sure hammer down is too

I had a BG380, and while it was a ok pistol it was sold to fund a Kahr PM9. the size difference was noticable, but only slightly. The PM9 rides in my front pocket in a desantis holster just fine, looks like a wallet.

drb

.40 caliber i did testing , and you can safely leave a 238 in half cocked , pull the trigger, it will fall but not go off, we tested this multiple times, it doesnt have enough force to reach the primer.

leaving the hammer down, we didnt test out hitting the hammer with something because it wasnt my gun.

If your going to carry safety off, fyi half cocked is still safe. As im sure hammer down is too

interesting to know. thanks!!

I have actually practiced a draw with it and inadverently (due to be lefty) took the safety off as it came out of my front pocket. My palm is over the safety as you reach into the pocket I tried many ways around this. right hand draw is just clumsy for a guy using his left hand all his life. Imean i can hit with it righty and could carry it in my right hand pocket as a back up..... but as a primary,,,,, rely on it as a good draw, a right hand shoot ,,, not being the most comfortable when you REALLY need it.....

you can imagine my concern having a chambered 380 pointed toward a pretty tender region of my body with the safety off as it exits my pocket.. I know some people say make sure you never have your finger on the trigger and it is never an issue. I get the hammer point you make. There, however is a reason though they call them ACCIDENTS. The risk reward (FOR ME) was far too great as a lefty,,,,,

That was enough for me to continue carrying in a crossbreed supertuck with my 40 CALIBER. [smile]

I would never carry a 238 or 1911 at half-cock. The half-cock notch is a safety, designed to catch the hammer if the hammer notch slips off the sear while the gun is cocked. If the gun is at half-cock notch when the hammer slips off the sear, there is nothing left to catch the hammer.

I had a BG380, and while it was a ok pistol it was sold to fund a Kahr PM9. the size difference was noticable, but only slightly. The PM9 rides in my front pocket in a desantis holster just fine, looks like a wallet.

drb

Which holster is it? The Nemesis? Fits the PM9?

Back
Top Bottom