New 2020 Python

All set... I could buy like 5 semi-autos for the price of that uppity status symbol made by a company that doesn't think YOU (a.k.a US) should be able to own ARs and has stopped selling them to civilians.

Colt is in the same category as Dicks IMHO. You buy from them, you're financially supporting the oppression of your own rights to own some of their previously available products. If you support Colt by buying their product, while in the same breath boycotting Dick's - then you - my friend - are what is called a hypocrite.
So buy your 5 plastic guns and have a cup of STFU. Colt made a business decision to not sell AR’s to a saturated civilian market. Never said civilians should not own ARs. And BTW, building a Revolver is a lot more work than a Plastic Pistol.
Someday when I’m gone my Grandchildren will say “Oh he left his Colts to me”. Not “Oh wow a another Glock”.

My interpreation with a bit of educated guesswork:

"Trigger better", "no stacking", "more durable" ===> "We eliminated the notoriously difficult to work with leaf spring and replaced it with the less expensive and easier to work Colt Trooper style action. We could have called this a reintroduction of the BOA and been more accurate, but figured Python would sell better."
Yet it still retains the leaf spring as stated in the video in the OP.

Putting a 4" one on my birthday gift list to myself!
I always wanted a Colt King Cobra when I first started shooting.
I sure as hell ain't gonna miss getting one of these!

The original Python was a museum quality firearm.
It was an incredible revolver that was not as durable as other designs produced when in production.
I was surprised by what Ruger did with the LCR series revolvers in terms of design and function using modern materials and methods.
The fact that it's made with a better grade stainless steel, with fewer parts and with less hand fitting cnc machined parts is plus for a firearm I intend to shoot.

Is it an old school Python, Nope!
But it is better in some ways that the original can never be!

They could rename it the King Snake..LOL

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see this pop out. I have a Colt Python "Ultimate" that went through the custom shop, 4 inch SS made in 1981. I've heard so many stories that stated Colt could never build the Python again.
1. tooling was destroyed.
2. Techs had to polish SS for two years before they were let loose to polish the Pythons.
3. People who used to make them are mostly dead now. Kinda like the argument that one could not reproduce the saturn v Five rocket anymore, the knowledge base is for ever gone.

This should be interesting. Is this going to be replicated part for part or just a close approximate of the original?

What is needed to make these "Mass Compliant"?

Also, what kind of holster would be good?

What about black hogue grips?

Will be interesting to see this pop out. I have a Colt Python "Ultimate" that went through the custom shop, 4 inch SS made in 1981. I've heard so many stories that stated Colt could never build the Python again.
1. tooling was destroyed.
2. Techs had to polish SS for two years before they were let loose to polish the Pythons.
3. People who used to make them are mostly dead now. Kinda like the argument that one could not reproduce the saturn v Five rocket anymore, the knowledge base is for ever gone.

This should be interesting. Is this going to be replicated part for part or just a close approximate of the original?
Not replicated, but an improved design from all I've read.

The thing about the tooling being destroyed is that that tooling would not have been compatible on CNC machines, which Colt has been moving towards for a while now. As such, the older generation of employees they had weren't going to be able to be retrained for the CNC's, so 1 and 3 are kind of linked. Polishing wise, the workers are going to be given videos and work instructions to watch, be trained by supervisors, and their work is mostly visual, so that's nbd.

I think the reason Colt waited so long to get back in to revolvers was they were just focusing on the 1911 and AR's for the military. It was inevitable they would make the Python again, but they had the bankruptcy scare years ago and before that it was the Obama panic. The question of whether it was going to be the original Python or a new gen was what no one could answer, but to keep the costs down and quality acceptable, they had to make changes. Is it going to be the same smooth feeling trigger? Probably not, but if this Python can hold up over time better than older ones I've heard about, hell, it's going to be more worth buying than an older one that's twice the price for that alone.

way back had a python beautiful blue 6" glass smooth action, paid $600 for it an sold it for $600. around the same time picked up a police trade in s&w model 13, 3" bull barrel for $190: which i still have for carry. the 13 is every bit as smooth and accurate

I'd like one, I also wish they'd stop with the rehash and come out with something they haven't been making for the past 75-100 yrs.
A 2011 type double stack frame would be great minus the S.T.I. $3000 price tag.

Hmmm. I always thought the reason people bought Pythons (to shoot) WAS the stacking trigger. I dislike it greatly. Gimme a smooth S&W trigger. My 65 is killer.

Not replicated, but an improved design from all I've read.

The thing about the tooling being destroyed is that that tooling would not have been compatible on CNC machines, which Colt has been moving towards for a while now. As such, the older generation of employees they had weren't going to be able to be retrained for the CNC's, so 1 and 3 are kind of linked. Polishing wise, the workers are going to be given videos and work instructions to watch, be trained by supervisors, and their work is mostly visual, so that's nbd.

I think the reason Colt waited so long to get back in to revolvers was they were just focusing on the 1911 and AR's for the military. It was inevitable they would make the Python again, but they had the bankruptcy scare years ago and before that it was the Obama panic. The question of whether it was going to be the original Python or a new gen was what no one could answer, but to keep the costs down and quality acceptable, they had to make changes. Is it going to be the same smooth feeling trigger? Probably not, but if this Python can hold up over time better than older ones I've heard about, hell, it's going to be more worth buying than an older one that's twice the price for that alone.

Thanks for your input. I'm gonna grab a "new" one. When the time comes I will post an unbiased opinion, comparing my 1981 Python to a new one. 1 caveat, I'm not a firearms "expert", just a guy who shoots maybe 4000-5000 rounds a year.

So buy your 5 plastic guns and have a cup of STFU. Colt made a business decision to not sell AR’s to a saturated civilian market. Never said civilians should not own ARs. And BTW, building a Revolver is a lot more work than a Plastic Pistol.
Someday when I’m gone my Grandchildren will say “Oh he left his Colts to me”. Not “Oh wow a another Glock”.

You can leave your plastic pistols to me, KC. And Colt decided to tell the civilian market to FU long before the AR market was saturated. THEN they came back when they realized there was money on the table. Hell, they told the civilian market to FU more times in the past century than Joe Pesci says it in a Martin Scorsese movie.

You can leave your plastic pistols to me, KC. And Colt decided to tell the civilian market to FU long before the AR market was saturated. THEN they came back when they realized there was money on the table. Hell, they told the civilian market to FU more times in the past century than Joe Pesci says it in a Martin Scorsese movie.
I'm planning to outlive you, or die trying.

Where are the new designs from this once-venerable Firearms Giant...?

Is Colt a one-trick-pony?

3744cff1c056b8b3ce87f2e2a6846cba.jpg
They ran out of firearms designers to buy from. The Python saved them once , maybe again or maybe they will keep producing the colt single action army.
I often wondered what would have happened to colt if Spring Field Armory had not closed down. Do you think we would see SA M16A1s ?

Last edited:
A friend of mine picked one up today, he paid $1,499. He said it feels great and the trigger is very smooth. He's shot my late 70s era Colt Python many times, he said the double action break is a little heavier than an OG Python but still very light. If we get time this weekend we are hitting the range to compare a 40+ year old Python to a factory new one.

All set... I could buy like 5 semi-autos for the price of that uppity status symbol made by a company that doesn't think YOU (a.k.a US) should be able to own ARs and has stopped selling them to civilians.

Colt is in the same category as Dicks IMHO. You buy from them, you're financially supporting the oppression of your own rights to own some of their previously available products. If you support Colt by buying their product, while in the same breath boycotting Dick's - then you - my friend - are what is called a hypocrite.

To be honest, whos side are you on?
Why are you spreading, 100% Fake news? The left used this excuse to help push their agenda. Trying to make the sheep believe that gun manufacturers are on their side.
This is how misinformation is spread.
Gun shop garbage talk.

Lets us pray that day is far away and it holds true that they want your old shit guns. Lol

Back
Top Bottom