• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

New 2020 Python

How about a nice Colt 2000?

Designed in 1992...
And looks a little too Eastern European meets Norinco to me...

maxresdefault.jpg

Ripped from the gun experts at Wikipedia...

Designed by C. Reed Knight and Eugene Stoner, it was hoped by Colt that this pistol would recapture their stake in the police market as departments across the United States switched from double-action revolvers to semiautomatic pistols. However, the pistol was plagued with reports of inaccuracy and unreliability, and is regarded as an embarrassing failure.

My interpreation with a bit of educated guesswork:

"Trigger better", "no stacking", "more durable" ===> "We eliminated the notoriously difficult to work with leaf spring and replaced it with the less expensive and easier to work Colt Trooper style action. We could have called this a reintroduction of the BOA and been more accurate, but figured Python would sell better."

Well Debbie Downer why you a hater?

Just happy this is out there - the more the merrier!

All set... I could buy like 5 semi-autos for the price of that uppity status symbol made by a company that doesn't think YOU (a.k.a US) should be able to own ARs and has stopped selling them to civilians.

Colt is in the same category as Dicks IMHO. You buy from them, you're financially supporting the oppression of your own rights to own some of their previously available products. If you support Colt by buying their product, while in the same breath boycotting Dick's - then you - my friend - are what is called a hypocrite.

If the 2020 is built and tuned as well as the original, and does not contain MIME parts or manufacturing shortcuts, I would say it is worth the $1200, especially if it can address the cylinder timing
issues that develop on a well used Python. Durability is a must.

I would love to have something like that, but alas I live in Massachusetts so all I can do is dream.
I'm in NH and have no guns anymore. Buy it for me, and you can come shoot it anytime you want. LOL.
I don’t think the price is that far off assuming it’s made extremely well.

New dan wesson 357 revolvers have a street price of about $1250ish. So the python will be similar in price.
DW is still making revolvers? Thought they'd stopped and just gone to 1911's.

Smoothest-shooting revolver I ever fired was the Manhurin MR 73 .357 magnum. Those things will handle upwards of 700K full-power rounds before they need a rebuild! For the price that Colt is asking, the buyer should hope it would at least approach the legendary durability of the MR 73.

And you can get them with a 2nd cylinder in 9mm. Durable & Versatile.

MR73_400px.png

The MR88 is nice too...

I'm in NH and have no guns anymore. Buy it for me, and you can come shoot it anytime you want. LOL.

DW is still making revolvers? Thought they'd stopped and just gone to 1911's.
Yup they sure are. 357 mag stainless only.

Smoothest-shooting revolver I ever fired was the Manhurin MR 73 .357 magnum. Those things will handle upwards of 700K full-power rounds before they need a rebuild! For the price that Colt is asking, the buyer should hope it would at least approach the legendary durability of the MR 73.

Colt's MSRP is $1500 and the actual price of a new MR73 is $3500ish. The two aren't even in the same category.

I thought they had abandoned the civilian market, didn’t need our money from us, just after it had been stolen by .gov.....

That's one hell of an exchange rate...

Gun Review: Manurhin MR73 Sport .357 Revolver - The Truth About Guns

https://kebcollc.com/

Manurhin MR73 NIB for sale

The two guns, this new Colt Python, and the MR73, are totally different in design concept. This new Python is basically nostalgia for sale - it isn't going to get adopted by any military or police forces these days, there's no military or police demand for a honking big .357 Magnum revolver. The MR73 is like the revolver version of a HK Mk 23. Forgotten Weapons did a video on the MR73 recently and the price tag on one is steep but makes sense:

I'll wait until half the demand for Python goes away with the new one and buy one of the old used ones at a reasonable price

there may be naysayers but if it's that good, it will affect market value on the classics...

Don't get me wrong, I like the MR73 and the ME88, but at $3500 it better come with a Mademoiselle... Oui?

They missed an opportunity to sell it as a high end, hand-fitted gun. Spend another couple of hundred bucks in labor and charge an even $2k for it. It’s still way under the original/used market prices and they’d have a strong selling point (and a defense against those who would dismiss it as inferior to the originals). Anyone paying $1500 for one can find a little more. And no blued option? Come on. Just charge for it.

They missed an opportunity to sell it as hand-fitted gun. Spend another couple of hundred bucks in labor and charge an even $2k for it. It’s still way under the original/used market prices and they’d have a strong selling point (and a defense against those who would dismiss it as inferior to the originals).

Nah.

Back
Top Bottom