• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES Camping trip?

Anyone ever wanted to do a NES camping trip , mostly for survival teaching and camaraderie with fellow NES folks? i was watching one of my YouTuber's and their survival videos , got me thinking of just going out and doing an overnight camping trip. and wondered if NES does regular camping trips.

I've been wanting to get up to the great gulf for an overnight backpacking trip. I need the exercise I'm so horribly out of shape.

I am working with a survival instructor to do a trip in the march time frame, it would be in Boscowen NH and a survival weekend cost as around 50 per person and limited to 10, bow drill fire making shelter building and water would be covered, sleep in the shelters overnight that you build

As long as there is heat, hot water, access to wifi, a fridge, stove, and cable I am down. I can bring my own pillow.

I'd be interested in participating as a student and a grunt for gathering wood and stuff.

I've been wanting to get up to the great gulf for an overnight backpacking trip. I need the exercise I'm so horribly out of shape.

I'd be more into a regular backpacking trip than a survival type trip. My son is after me to get him out camping away from the "car camping" trips we've been doing. I'm still out of shape but taking brisk walks a couple times each day and even went out cross country skiing in Greenfield today.

As long as there isn't a whole lot of uphill I should be fine.

I had to Google the "Great Gulf" hike [thinking] :

That might be a little much for me even if I was in good shape. [laugh]
I recall doing similar hikes over in the Adirondacks going to Mt Marcy via Algonquin and Colden lake but that was almost thirty years ago.

Subcribing to see if this goes anywhere. I have some new cold weather gear i'd like to test.

I've never been winter camping.
I was a cub scout dropout.
:(

I may be IN for a w/e trip.

Well the boy scout Klondike is coming up Feb 3rd and 4th for the Arrowhead district, I'll be sleeping out

Would I earn any badges?[wink]

I may try my bag on my patio some night soon to see how well it does.
[smile]

Last edited:
Would I earn any badges?[wink]

I may try my bag on my patio some night soon to see how well it does.
[smile]

Smart way to try if it gets too cold you can always go indoors, as for the first part I have earned a few patches one for 100 degrees of freeze, in one years time spend as many nights as it takes to sleep below freezing, you get one point for every degree below freezing that you sleep outdoors, so a 25 degree night is worth 7 points I did two nights one at -18 and the next at -12 so that one weekend I earned almost all the points that winter I actually had almost 200 points I did that with a 20 degree bag

Is this the kind of camping where you bring more beer then gear? If so, can it be at a place that Domino's will deliver?

That is how I grew up camping anyways.

As long as there is heat, hot water, access to wifi, a fridge, stove, and cable I am down. I can bring my own pillow.
I'd be ok w/o wifi or a fridge...

Is this the kind of camping where you bring more beer then gear? If so, can it be at a place that Domino's will deliver?

That is how I grew up camping anyways.

In for this...

My knees don't like hills, but even if they did my fat cigar smoking a$$ would have a stroke anyway. I'm down for pull up in car, set up tent, use battery powered compressor to blow up air mattress kinda camping:)

Joe from Pustizzi farm was at my house for the Pats game so I showed him this post.He said fine by him.call him up.
I am working with a survival instructor to do a trip in the march time frame, it would be in Boscowen NH and a survival weekend cost as around 50 per person and limited to 10, bow drill fire making shelter building and water would be covered, sleep in the shelters overnight that you build

as soon as I hear back otherwise I will do it solo without the instructor and not charge for my time, I personally think I could teach what the instructor would but if there is an off chance he teaches something new

Queen Bee, just go camping with friends and don’t plan on having anyone from NES attend, as you can see most are really not into that kind of thing..

And watch out how you ask, as MR Twig mentioned, the Mods get funny about how members share information or promote outside activities.

Last: IMHO test all your winter gear at home prior to any winter camp trip. The northeast woods are un-forgiving in winter.

I'd love some info on that as it evolves.

Brrrr. My son's gone out overnight in the winter a few times with the scouts but my bones are getting too old for that.

The Monadnock - Sunapee greenway trail Bohog1 posted looks about more my speed. I was thinking of doing some day hikes to scout sections and then hiking it from end to end with my son during the summer. Judging from the comments it looks like its roughly a four day hike.

Sleeping in the snow is only fun till you have to crawl out of your bag/snow hut to go the the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Well this thread certainly sheds some light on another thread on food storage... [tuneless whistling]

If any day hikes get planned suitable for someone a little bigger and creakier than Mr. T, interested. I think I have to fight my way into better condition before doing much "real" camping.

I'm nearby and while I'm not equipped for winter camping, I would come over and help.
I'm right down the road, and if you're serious about this, I'd be in. Could probably drag a couple of other people who've done this kind of thing before along, too.

Back
Top Bottom