• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking to pick the collective mind of NES regarding timberjacks.

Talk sh*t about Big Sexy, get what you deserve.
As the title states I'm in the market for a timberjack. Except the one I'm in need of needs to be able to be used on 30'ish inch diameter logs and in my searching about nearly everything I've found maxes out around 20'ish inches.

Here's the thing though, each log(3) is roughly between 15-20ft in length. Given the mass of the logs I'm starting to think I may as well just get a smaller chainsaw(looking at the Husky 440, currently own the 460) and put a rip chain on it so I could quarter the logs, which would also negate the need of a splitter for the time being(along with probably being much safer than trying to muscle around the logs as is).

So even if I do go the second chainsaw route, any info shared regarding timberjacks would be greatly appreciated.

Anyhow that's it, TIA.

1200px-Timberjack_1270D.jpg I gather you don't mean this timberjack. Way out west where I live this is a Timberjack.
Are you just processing for firewood? Logs that big I wouldn't thru-cut anyway. Go half way through and roll with a cant hook. (or peavey) What species wood is it? Is it straight grained? Try rail splitting the log with wedges to make it more manageable. You may find some nice figuring in the log to use in woodworking projects.
As for the brand of cant hook (timberjack) I made my own. The handle is ash and the hook I forged and welded from some scrap steel I had lying around.

Lol, I wish I had something like that to use. The timberjack I was referring to would be like a peavey but with a "foot" of sorts on it to get the log off the ground.

Amazon.com: timberjack

As for the specifics, I'm not to sure. I was just asked if I cold help and cut the logs into 4ft lengths and figured I may as well quarter the sections to assist in the processing given the diameter of the logs. I'm thinking having a extra saw would be beneficial at some point in the future anyhow so that's where a smaller one with a ripping chain came to mind.

I hadn't considered rail splitting it, thanks for the idea.

As the title states I'm in the market for a timberjack. Except the one I'm in need of needs to be able to be used on 30'ish inch diameter logs and in my searching about nearly everything I've found maxes out around 20'ish inches.

Here's the thing though, each log(3) is roughly between 15-20ft in length. Given the mass of the logs ...
The very first one that shows up on Amazon (in a sponsored ad)
when I click on your "Amazon.com: timberjack" link...

...handles logs up to 32" in diameter. And costs $189.

You probably get what you pay for.

But that's $63/log.

Unless the people who own the land (woodlot?) you've been asked to help thin out
are going to cut 3 logs/year for the foreseeable future.

Either way, maybe the landowner should be buying the special tools
that make it possible for workers to prop up the logs
for safely and conveniently cutting to 4' lengths.

I'd almost say that buying a 20" timberjack and replacing the cant hook
with a 32" hook (even if fabbed in a shop) might be the way to go.
And maybe lengthen the lever arm.

Except that any length of a 30" log will weigh over twice as much
as the same length of 20" log. So maybe the 20" "baby" timberjacks
could collapse under the load.

Since you're mainly trying to roll just a few logs up onto props
so that you can cut them with a chainsaw
without fouling the chain in the dirt
or having the log pinch the saw,
can you use a come-along and straps to roll them onto a prop?

Notes:
  1. Surprised it's not a video of a cant hook coming loose under load and braining the guy.
  2. Needs a soundtrack.

The very first one that shows up on Amazon (in a sponsored ad)
when I click on your "Amazon.com: timberjack" link...

...handles logs up to 32" in diameter. And costs $189.

You probably get what you pay for.

But that's $63/log.

Unless the people who own the land (woodlot?) you've been asked to help thin out
are going to cut 3 logs/year for the foreseeable future.

Either way, maybe the landowner should be buying the special tools
that make it possible for workers to prop up the logs
for safely and conveniently cutting to 4' lengths.

I'd almost say that buying a 20" timberjack and replacing the cant hook
with a 32" hook (even if fabbed in a shop) might be the way to go.
And maybe lengthen the lever arm.

Except that any length of a 30" log will weigh over twice as much
as the same length of 20" log. So maybe the 20" "baby" timberjacks
could collapse under the load.

Since you're mainly trying to roll just a few logs up onto props
so that you can cut them with a chainsaw
without fouling the chain in the dirt
or having the log pinch the saw,
can you use a come-along and straps to roll them onto a prop?

Notes:
  1. Surprised it's not a video of a cant hook coming loose under load and braining the guy.
  2. Needs a soundtrack.

Thanks for the response.

I've been thinking of ways to move them where come alongs/block and tackle would come into play, but me being me I would concoct some plan which would more than likely yield "hold my beer and watch this" results.

The more I mull this over it looks as if I'll end up going the second saw/rail splitting route just for safety sake.

I've been keeping an eye out for one locally myself. I've been using a hookaroon for now, but that isn't even in the ballpark of what a timber jack does. But it does save my back. The LogOx looks awesome but I don't like the idea of swapping parts around to make new tools.

The more I mull this over it looks as if I'll end up going the second saw/rail splitting route just for safety sake.
(I've never cut anything thicker than 3", with a Sven Saw; but...)
if you're gonna split the logs old-style with wedge and sledge,
that may get real old real fast.

I know about trailered hydraulic splitters,
but you're trying to make the wood small enough to handle,
so they're not part of the solution.
If there's some third way to split logs,
pardon my ignorance.

Not trying to talk you into The Great Come-Along Incident of 2019.
Takes almost as much care as refueling a Navy ship while underway.

IMG_20190605_182341.jpg so these are the cant hooks I have. The one in the back is homemade, metal work by my dad, wood handle by me. I have a similar one without the jack welded to it.
The one in the foreground is about 4' long. The handle is heavy and is two pieces. Next time I fire up the welder, I am making it a one piece handle. I don't use the jack on it, just use it for rolling logs over. It is pretty near indestructible and easily grabs 36" logs with a smack from an axe. I picked it up at a tag sale but it looks very similar to one sold on Amazon. I would buy one of these new if I needed one.

Talked to the Stihl dealer recommended here, Eddie’s Saw Services, because I was ripping logs to build bridges.

He said you don’t need a ripping chain for cutting with the grain: just gives a better finish.

Talked to the Stihl dealer recommended here, Eddie’s Saw Services, because I was ripping logs to build bridges.

He said you don’t need a ripping chain for cutting with the grain: just gives a better finish.

It's also more efficient and easier on the saw/operator. If you're doing a little it's probably not a big deal, but if you want to cut your own lumber you want a ripping chain.

Disclaimer: my experience is with hand saws. Ripping with a crosscut saw sometimes feels like you're replacing wood, not cutting it.

Back
Top Bottom