• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trip Alarms

These look interesting. Any DIY options?

View attachment 733565
If you buy them from FITH Ops, make sure you check that a 12ga fits in the groove for the rim. I bought 6 of them and four of the six were too narrow to slide a 12ga shell into or the adapters for 209 primers and .308 blank adapters. That's just poor QC. Evidently they knew of the problem and refunded my purchase price when notified of the issue.

How long would it have taken to slide a gauge into the slot to test them? It could easily have been done during packaging.

I've been tempted to try the mouse trap method. A drop of weld bead on the business end to hit the primer might improve reliability. The trigger is a little light so I'd want something different there too. So basically just reuse the spring I guess ;)

A simple trigger could be an eye hook on either side of the bar, cock the spring, a nail through the two eye hooks to hold the bar back, string tied to the nail.

These commercial ones are nice, but way overbuilt in my opinion. The price reflects that.

I've been tempted to try the mouse trap method. A drop of weld bead on the business end to hit the primer might improve reliability. The trigger is a little light so I'd want something different there too. So basically just reuse the spring I guess ;)

A simple trigger could be an eye hook on either side of the bar, cock the spring, a nail through the two eye hooks to hold the bar back, string tied to the nail.

These commercial ones are nice, but way overbuilt in my opinion. The price reflects that.

I have seen them made out of rat traps but they are single use.😆

Some of you may remember this one. When combined with a paint can you can mark trespassers.

PAINTED DEER HUNTER TO HAVE TRESPASSING TICKET DISMISSED, LANDOWNER ALSO CHARGED​

March 31, 2020: This is perhaps the most viewed hunting-related video of all time. Here’s a look back on how this all transpired — more than six years ago. Scroll past the updates to find the original story by D&DH’s Daniel E. Schmidt.

UPDATE 5/22, 8:59 AM:

In Web replies to posts on this topic, landowner Michael Condoluci is apparently offering more insights into the incident from last December.

Yesterday, in reply to DDH.com poster Craigo, emails from Condoluci’s email address offered these comments:

“He [Ogin] never had [expletive] permission, doesn’t own the land doesn’t pay the land owners taxes, never asked for permission to hunt. He flat out refuses to leave when he was told he was trespassing, [it] sounds like your one of the guys that hunts on public land. Good place for you. Why dont you go back there and keep your [expletive] mouth shut.”

He also commented, “…It’s trespassing. He doesn’t own it. If he wants to hunt the property, let him pay the taxes; have the common decency to ask permission to hunt.”

UPDATE 5/20, 4:44 PM:

A trespasser’s son has responded to the unfolding events. Leroy Ogin Jr. contacted D&DH just now and offered these comments in a direct message on Facebook:

“I’m just [upset] because … one video can spread so fast … to top it off, there are people [who] have no idea of what happened and don’t know the true facts … saying how funny this is and he got what he deserved. I wonder if it happened to them or one of their children if they would think its funny. Then they say they deserved it. I deal with people on my in-laws land where I hunt(110 acres) and all I do is let them know they are on private property and tell them to leave. We don’t put out traps like this guy did. That’s going too far!”

UPDATE 5/20, 2:43 PM:

In a D&DH forum and subsequent email exchange with a man stating he was Michael Condoluci and said he did, in fact, warn Ogin previously about trespassing on his land.

On the forum, he wrote: “I’m the one who did this to this idiot. I’ve owned the land for 6 years. He’s been hunting on my land every year. I tell him every year he is trespassing, he refuses to leave and tells me he’s been hunting here his whole life. My land is posted and I even have signs trespassers will be painted, and patrolled by Sherwin Williams, maybe the jerk can’t read and if that’s the case, he shouldn’t be hunting. Don’t think I will see him next year.”

D&DH responded directly to the email address, asking Condoluci if he wanted to make further statements on this situation.

“Talk to you in 6 months after the hold period,” he replied. “Just have to say he was warned about trespassing before.”

The woman who uploaded the video onto YouTube added these comments on that site this afternoon: “This man has been warned for being on private property. He chose not to listen. There was [sic] many signs posted about the paint. Unfortunately, you cannot see in color, but his clothes were not ruined. They were old, stained and ripped. What you don’t see is another young man who actually destroys a few things in [sic] the property.”

Painted Deer Hunter to Have Trespassing Ticket Dismissed, Landowner Also Charged | Deer & Deer Hunting

Some of you may remember this one. When combined with a paint can you can mark trespassers.

On the forum, he wrote: “I’m the one who did this to this idiot. I’ve owned the land for 6 years. He’s been hunting on my land every year. I tell him every year he is trespassing, he refuses to leave and tells me he’s been hunting here his whole life. My land is posted and I even have signs trespassers will be painted, and patrolled by Sherwin Williams, maybe the jerk can’t read and if that’s the case, he shouldn’t be hunting. Don’t think I will see him next year.”

"the landowner who set the paint bomb was also ticketed in the incident — on charges of criminal mischief and criminal harassment for allegedly rigging up a trip wire that was attached to an explosive device that discharged a paint bomb...Ogin said the explosion came from the explosive device being wired to an automobile an air bag mechanism wired to a switch that set off the paint bomb attached to a suspended wire."

Back
Top Bottom