NES Camping trip?

I found I sweat too much with a regular pad and it kept sliding around, what pad do you use because I do agree my back feels better when I use it

what is the expected hike length if we go to the spot in boscawen? my herniated disk has been acting up this weekend, and im afraid a long hike with a pack will put me down hard, and im not going to risk ruining the trip for others.

Joe has around 250 acres and he connects to a state forest on one side, a red tail deer farm on the other (corn hill farm if you want to buy venison) and backs up to 400 plus acres on the back. A groomed snowmobile trail goes through the property along with various logging, atv trails of Joes. There is a nice dirt road that winds through the property all the way up to the top field with the views . Its wooded but even my fat ass walked all over it during deer season.

i worry he curved nature of the hammock will ruin my already trashed back.

I have some lower back pain myself and sleeping on the ground aggravates it quite a bit.

Like others have said - sleeping in a hammock was a complete change for me - it made temperate climate camping (specifically sleeping) much more enjoyable. Of course, YMMV depending on your condition, but I'd highly suggest giving a hammock a try.

Also, by just putting a regular ground pad under my bag in the hammock I am extremely warm.

I have tried using a 3/4 pad in my Hennessey, but the combination of the unique "door" and wrestling with the pad and bag on the inside resulted in large amounts of frustration. I tried getting "suited-up" in the bag outside the hammock and then getting in, but the results were mainly the same.

Do you have any tips or tricks for using the hammock / pad / bag combo?

Joe owns Pustizzi friut farm, they are online and on Facebook. Some pictures on both but no real woods pictures. He has brooks a pond and a lot of land.

Joe owns Pustizzi fruit farm, they are online and on Facebook. Some pictures on both but no real woods pictures. He has brooks a pond and a lot of land.

Joe owns the land where I will be doing my survival campout with any luck
oh sounds good

Joe owns Pustizzi friut farm, they are online and on Facebook. Some pictures on both but no real woods pictures. He has brooks a pond and a lot of land.
gotcha, wasnt sure if it was someone on here haha

I have some lower back pain myself and sleeping on the ground aggravates it quite a bit.

Like others have said - sleeping in a hammock was a complete change for me - it made temperate climate camping (specifically sleeping) much more enjoyable. Of course, YMMV depending on your condition, but I'd highly suggest giving a hammock a try.

I have tried using a 3/4 pad in my Hennessey, but the combination of the unique "door" and wrestling with the pad and bag on the inside resulted in large amounts of frustration. I tried getting "suited-up" in the bag outside the hammock and then getting in, but the results were mainly the same.

Do you have any tips or tricks for using the hammock / pad / bag combo?

hmm maybe i will try it. i just look at the way it sags and cringe haha. i have always been interested in the idea, i just dont know where the dog will sleep, and if she would have any success sleeping in the hammock with me

I found I sweat too much with a regular pad and it kept sliding around, what pad do you use because I do agree my back feels better when I use it

I found that the YOGA mats that are made of the non-slip foam about 1/4" thick work very well until the temp drops dramatically. Then using clothes pins with a mylar space blanket under the hammock and the yoga mat inside was almost too warm with a zero degree bag. The yoga mat also tends not to slide around as much as the styrofoam mat does.

-R

Last edited:
how big is the dog, some guys lit them sleep inside with them and others tie them out to the tree

She is a 50lb pointer. I would worry she would puncture the hammock. Id skip the hammock because of that, i want her to sleep with me

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I'd be more into a regular backpacking trip than a survival type trip. My son is after me to get him out camping away from the "car camping" trips we've been doing. I'm still out of shape but taking brisk walks a couple times each day and even went out cross country skiing in Greenfield today.

As long as there isn't a whole lot of uphill I should be fine.

I had to Google the "Great Gulf" hike [thinking] :

That might be a little much for me even if I was in good shape. [laugh]
I recall doing similar hikes over in the Adirondacks going to Mt Marcy via Algonquin and Colden lake but that was almost thirty years ago.

actually MrTwigg I only do the low half of the trail from rt16 into the base of washington or around the area check out the topo maps of the area there are camping spots int he wilderness area and you can day hike up to madison jefferson and adams...

I can do a nap in a hammock after mowing the lawn. I cannot IMAGINE sleeping an entire night in one. My back would be killing, and how do you roll over? Plus, the mosquitoes would be a big problem for me. Besides that, how about the dew in the morning? Summer in a tent at the Cape is pretty juicy, buggy, and even cool some nights.

That said, camping is pretty fun. I still can't get my head around the tents with a wood stove inside. How do those not have holes all over the tent? I can't have a campfire without ruining some piece of clothing. I have on fleece I try to make a point to wear when I have an outdoor fire for this reason alone.

Lots of good questions there!

Please see my embedded responses below:

I can do a nap in a hammock after mowing the lawn. I cannot IMAGINE sleeping an entire night in one. My back would be killing, (Sleeping in my Hennessey Hammock actually helped my back when compared to sleeping on the ground.) and how do you roll over? (I scoot my behind to one side and then roll back into the center. I can sleep on either side of my body or on my back.) Plus, the mosquitoes would be a big problem for me. (The Hennessey Hammock (and others) have mosquito netting.) Besides that, how about the dew in the morning? (The Hennessey Hammock (and others) have a rain fly. This picture does not show the mosquito netting as well as it does the rain fly.)

HennessyHammock.jpg

Summer in a tent at the Cape is pretty juicy, buggy, and even cool some nights.

That said, camping is pretty fun. I still can't get my head around the tents with a wood stove inside. How do those not have holes all over the tent? (Avoid burning soft wood if at all possible. The Kifaru wood stoves come with in-line spark screens which can be installed into the collar of the stovepipe. You can see the tabs for them to the right of the stovepipe in the picture below.)

PC070021.jpg

I can't have a campfire without ruining some piece of clothing. I have on fleece I try to make a point to wear when I have an outdoor fire for this reason alone.

Back
Top Bottom