NES Camping trip?

I love the idea of Mass Live, but its jan 28th and im going to the marlboro gun show, i like the idea in NH in march, and i will be watching for any news on that. though im cheating a little bit if i go by bringing my Blastmatch and some wetfire cubes lol..

ERC does not look like my idea of winter camping, cars and armchairs and sleds.. im wanting to learn about survival camping, only thing coming with me is the expedition/survival pack on my back and me..

Last edited:
Blast match and wetfire are great but what if they get lost in the snow and you can't find it [wink]

lol i have redundant backups of flint/steel and wetfire / bic lighters.

but i won't mind sitting there watching people struggle with bow and stick method , it just seems like a good workout .

Boys, we're talking about a cold weather camping experience ,nothing more. I'm more than thirty years out of high school so if you want to play high school grab ass ,take it to PM because it cheapens the whole site to be setting up a fight behind the library after the bell rings.

While I haven't seen the thread with the "legendary" web site, I gather you are some kind of survivalist trainer.

The thing is, being prepared means different things to different people. TEOTWAWKI could be as severe as ice age, desertification or a rogue planet smacking us or it could be a mundane as losing a job and being out of work a couple years.

You as a trainer should be analyzing the needs of your students and advising them appropriately. It seems instead you want to impose your own viewpoint based on YOUR needs and beliefs.

eta: Tim L makes a good point. This is supposed to be Queen Bee's camping thread . . . pipes over and out

Last edited:
All, I apologize for getting this thread off track in what is a personal frustration with a single member here.

I think a camping trip would be a great idea and if I could make a recommendation do it when it is warmer and make it a family friendly event. I think you would get more folks. Between work and Reserves and hopefully grad school this fall, my weekends are very limited and the ones I have available I like to try to spend with the family. I am sure there are a number of people in that boat.

I'd like to see a minimalist camping trip result from this thread. While a family outing is a great idea, I don't think bringing all the pots and pans is the intent.

I have a little more gear to attain for a cold weather trip but, it's not something that would stop me from doing so.

One item I need to get is a nice pair of boots. I've been pondering some military surplus kicks for no other reason than quality vs. price. Anyone have the intermediate weather boots (cold/wet) - any good?

-hoping this thread lives on....

I don't mind my threads getting derailed , it makes it live on longer lol. i love suggestions for gear too :) im gathering up supplies for a winter/cold weather trek.

ERC does not look like my idea of winter camping, cars and armchairs and sleds.. im wanting to learn about survival camping, only thing coming with me is the expedition/survival pack on my back and me..

The cars you saw were at the trail-head. It's 1.5 mile trip up the trail into the camping area. At the end of the trail is a hunting cabin, which is where the chair came from.

Most participants travel up to the camp via skis, snowshoes, or (depending on the condition of the trail) on foot.

Others use snowmobiles and 4-wheelers.

Most participants carry all their gear in and set up their shelter right on the snow.

Others sleep in the small rustic cabin.

You can travel and camp as primitive as you want. Or not.

The ECR is just a gathering of like-minded people who have enthusiasm for Kifaru clothing, equipment and gear.

When you say, "im wanting to learn about survival camping" do you mean facing an unplanned night in the woods or minimalist winter camping?

as for gear:
A good quality 20°f sleeping bag can work for all but the coldest days, keep in mind that this recommendation is mostly for men since woman tend to sleep colder so if you are one that is always cold drop it down 5 or 10 degrees. Also women fit different then men for obvious reasons. The sleeping bag is one area I do not recommend cheaping out on but that doesn't mean you need to spend $600 for the uber ultralight 900fill down model, try to keep you bag at or below 3lbs if possible for 20° bag it is doable for a 10 or 15° bag it would be tough.
Pros and cons for the different insulation
Down:
Pro
Warmest and lightest
Con
Useless if it gets wet
Synthetic
Pro
Stays warmer even if wet
Dries easier
Con
Heavy and bulky

Man made insulation are making leaps in bounds in the past several years so don't think you need to have down to be warm

All sleeping bag ratings are not alike, that means someones 10° bag is another companies 40°f bag, my mountain hardware bag is rated at 20°f but I have been as low as -18°f read the reviews and look at insulation thickness and you will be able to tell which rating is a comfortable at the temp rated and which is surviving at the temp rating

Sleeping pad, I use a cheap blue foam pad found at camping stores and walmart, you can use landau top foam as well available at your local car upholstery shop

For a backpack I do not recommend going bigger than 4000 ci, my standard weekend pack on 2800 or so again shoot for a goal of 3lbs

Tents, well I use a tarp only and bug spray, I have used hammocks, and tents each has the advantages and disadvantages

Stoves/Kitchens
I like jetboils and msr and esbit and... I still haven't found the perfect set up but again each has it's strength

Rain Gear, don't go cheap, well you can if you get Frogg Toggs but they are fragile but very lightweight and they breath really well, I like ponchos but it is personal preference

Whistle in case a bear tries to rape you [wink]

Compass, make sure you can read the numbers

Map of area don't rely on GPS it will fail you at the worst possible moment

Pocket knife, multi tool or fixed blade, I carry two

First aid kit

Sunscreen, sunglasses, bug spray

Bandanna (2)

That is a start

im down to freeze my ass off camping. i need a few more things, but im willing to go depending on the weekend.

as for gear:

That is a start

Great start - hey, what size tarp do you recommend for versatility and coverage for one 6' plus person? - for ground and hammock sleeping.

Gleasons (I think) camp supply in northhampton had a good selection of reasonably prices siltarps. But, looks like they're out (on the site anyway) - may have to shop around....

A while back I had some serious aspirations to hike the Appalachian Trail, there was this web site that hosted "trail journals". People hiking the trail would keep a diary and mail sections to a friend that would type them in, somewhat behind realtime. You could just about follow their progress as they made their way up the trail.

Some of the hikers, CLEARLY cognitively challenged, would start hiking in the middle of February (granted, starting at the southern end in Georgia).

So, basically, in around 3 weeks from now, the first northbound hikers will have started their 1200 mile journeys...

Spring is in the air!

as for gear:
A good quality 20°f sleeping bag can work for all but the coldest days, keep in mind that this recommendation is mostly for men since woman tend to sleep colder so if you are one that is always cold drop it down 5 or 10 degrees. Also women fit different then men for obvious reasons. The sleeping bag is one area I do not recommend cheaping out on but that doesn't mean you need to spend $600 for the uber ultralight 900fill down model, try to keep you bag at or below 3lbs if possible for 20° bag it is doable for a 10 or 15° bag it would be tough.
Pros and cons for the different insulation
Down:
Pro
Warmest and lightest
Con
Useless if it gets wet
Synthetic
Pro
Stays warmer even if wet
Dries easier
Con
Heavy and bulky

Man made insulation are making leaps in bounds in the past several years so don't think you need to have down to be warm

All sleeping bag ratings are not alike, that means someones 10° bag is another companies 40°f bag, my mountain hardware bag is rated at 20°f but I have been as low as -18°f read the reviews and look at insulation thickness and you will be able to tell which rating is a comfortable at the temp rated and which is surviving at the temp rating

Sleeping pad, I use a cheap blue foam pad found at camping stores and walmart, you can use landau top foam as well available at your local car upholstery shop

For a backpack I do not recommend going bigger than 4000 ci, my standard weekend pack on 2800 or so again shoot for a goal of 3lbs

Tents, well I use a tarp only and bug spray, I have used hammocks, and tents each has the advantages and disadvantages

Stoves/Kitchens
I like jetboils and msr and esbit and... I still haven't found the perfect set up but again each has it's strength

Rain Gear, don't go cheap, well you can if you get Frogg Toggs but they are fragile but very lightweight and they breath really well, I like ponchos but it is personal preference

Whistle in case a bear tries to rape you [wink]

Compass, make sure you can read the numbers

Map of area don't rely on GPS it will fail you at the worst possible moment

Pocket knife, multi tool or fixed blade, I carry two

First aid kit

Sunscreen, sunglasses, bug spray

Bandanna (2)

That is a start

Love your knowledge :)

about the backpacks, im looking at 3 at the moment.

granted just because they are close to 5000 cu's doesn't mean i have to fill it to that. and it might make packing easier?

NF: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog...ry-multi-day-backpacking/la-loba-60-pack.html
its got about 4270 for the medium .

or from backcountry http://www.backcountry.com/kelty-red-cloud-backpack-womens-5000cu-in.html

or smaller
http://www.backcountry.com/the-nort...ml?rr=t&cmp_id=&rrType=ClickEV&rrProd=TNF4806

i definitly don't want to skimp on a sleeping bag , im looking at a 0 degree backpack instead of a 20 because i want that extra amount of warmth. im definitly a poor circulation candidate. thinking mummy type sleeping bag but there are just soo many out there. and i like your pros and cons , so im going to go synthetic

thinking msr pocket rocket for fuel along with my wetfire for lighting damp wood.

im armed to the teeth with ka-bar heavy bowie , CS: SRK and roach belly.

i definitly don't want to skimp on a sleeping bag , im looking at a 0 degree backpack instead of a 20 because i want that extra amount of warmth.

Then, you might need two sleeping bags, unless you only plan on doing very cold weather camping. I did two 3 night trips to the long trail in the spring and late fall where it got down to the mid 30s, and my 15 degree sleeping bag was just about too warm to sleep in. I sleep completely naked and I'm generally cold and it was way too hot. I certainly could not sleep with it zipped. I wish I had the same model in a 25. But, I'll probably just buy a light summer bag to compliment it.

Although, if you're going synthetic it might not be as warm as my down bag even though it is rated for 0. Also, keep in mind that it will be heavier and bigger in your pack. Down bags are much better in my opinion, unless if you get it wet. And, its not very hard at all to keep them dry. Put it in a dry bag if you're worried about it. I don't know anyone who has had that problem.

You also need to know that you lose the vast majority of your heat to the ground. So, a good ground pad is going to make a world of difference.

The weight does make a difference. The size does make a difference. You likely will never deal with the issue of one getting wet.

Now, Boghog mentioned that he doesn't use a tent. In that case, the wet issue might come into play. I use an ultralight flashlight tent, I was in a heck of a storm one night in VT and I was bone dry. So, you have to decide if you're in a tent or under a tarp or a piece of tyvek, etc.

You also are going to get a cover for your pack which, in addition to the pack itself and the bag that the sleeping bag goes in, will keep the bag dry even if its pouring on you while you're hiking. And, as I said, if you're that worried just get a dry bag. Kayakers use them and they work extremely well.

Last edited:
Love your knowledge :)

about the backpacks, im looking at 3 at the moment.

granted just because they are close to 5000 cu's doesn't mean i have to fill it to that. and it might make packing easier?

NF: http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog...ry-multi-day-backpacking/la-loba-60-pack.html
its got about 4270 for the medium .

or from backcountry http://www.backcountry.com/kelty-red-cloud-backpack-womens-5000cu-in.html

or smaller
http://www.backcountry.com/the-nort...ml?rr=t&cmp_id=&rrType=ClickEV&rrProd=TNF4806

i definitly don't want to skimp on a sleeping bag , im looking at a 0 degree backpack instead of a 20 because i want that extra amount of warmth. im definitly a poor circulation candidate. thinking mummy type sleeping bag but there are just soo many out there. and i like your pros and cons , so im going to go synthetic

thinking msr pocket rocket for fuel along with my wetfire for lighting damp wood.

im armed to the teeth with ka-bar heavy bowie , CS: SRK and roach belly.

Check out the Ospeyy packs, I don't know your build but by far these are some of the most comfortable packs out there and thy make woman specific if you are going with a 0 degree bag which I will try to talk you out of due to reasons mentioned above you will want closer to the 4000ci size so the 65 liter would be the one to go with, the pack really should come last though, do not get a bigger pack thinking you will just not pack as much, I managed to fill a 7000ci for an overnight trip with more junk than needed

As for the pocket rocket be aware performance is hindered in the cold keep the fuel canister warm or warm it before you try to light it by putting it under your jacket for a few minutes.

@ Gonzo the trip I am thinking about this march would be a survival camp-out but I wouldn't keep someone away if they wanted to bring a tent and sleeping bag in case they get cold but I have done overnights using just my survival kit and the clothes on my back down to freezing and it was mid 40's in my shelter

The Monadnock - Sunapee greenway trail Bohog1 posted looks about more my speed. I was thinking of doing some day hikes to scout sections and then hiking it from end to end with my son during the summer. Judging from the comments it looks like its roughly a four day hike.

I climbed Sunapee this summer, and ventured down the greenway a few miles. I too would love to do the whole thing, but not visit the summit of Sunapee this time around. Not worth my time or (minimal) effort to visit a ski area.

sub-topic - Boots

I'm boot shopping for something to be used for winter camping. I know Sorels used to be good but, it looks like they're now all imported. Having never been winter camping before, I'm assuming a fully waterproof, removable liner, and gaiter'd boot would be the ticket.

Looking for suggestions.

I've bought some high dollar, supposedly great waterproof footware in the past, only to be disappointed with leaks within 2 years of owning them. -Looking to not repeat that mistake.

thx!

Kamik Boots are good, the type of boots will also depend on the activity, if I will be standing on ice all day fishing I want the biggest bulky warm boots I can find, if I am snow shoeing I will wear my northface baltoros

I have Kamik boots, and they have a big crack across the front/side. They also have been leaking somewhere during the winter. I need to replace them, and might just end up at LL Bean this time around.

... might just end up at LL Bean this time around.

Sadly, buying a product with a replacement warranty has replaced buying a long lasting product. My 24yo Sorels are still by my side but, the booties are pretty whipped and they have absolutely NO support for hiking.

I checked another item off the list and got some Cabellas 1200g PAC boots on sale. <fingers crossed on longevity>

If this trip does happen, are we talking a short hike and camp type of thing, or a longer excursion? One night, two nights? What are we preparing for here?

These are what I've been using 10in Hunter 2 http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNEES-Hunter-II-pac-boots/schnees-footwear. I like the abilty to take out the liners at night to put them in my sleeping bag. They give pretty good support and have a decent tread. Ideally I think two pair boots are a good idea.traveling boots(hiking,ski,or snowshoe) and a camp standing around boot(old sorels,mickey mouse etc) warm but not great for movement. If you can use a pulk or sled to carry your gear its probably doable. Take care Robbie

Back
Top Bottom