• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NES Camping trip?

I have Kamik boots, and they have a big crack across the front/side. They also have been leaking somewhere during the winter. I need to replace them, and might just end up at LL Bean this time around.

Contact them. The same thing happened to mine. I contacted them explaining the situation and they responded with "send us a picture via email and we will send you out another pair." they sent out another pair and I had them within a week. Kamik did state that they had put too much silicone(?) in the bottom part of the boots during the manufacturing process and were aware of the issue. Unfortunately, they didn't have my style anymore, but they stood behind their product 100%.

is this a camping trip thread or a boot thread? [smile]

It happens from time to time...
a8e9f515.gif

Bumparoo - I skimmed the thread and came up with the names of those who said they'd be down for a cold weather trip.

• The OP
  • mcb
  • Hikes
  • Chrisg67
  • myself

I didn't catch the locations of each of you but, are we looking to do this somewhere in MA? NH? -where abouts are we thinking?

I'm thinking a 1-2mi hike to the camp spot, spend the night (maybe 2 - i shiver at the thought [wink])?

I could do a little searching for camp spots that meet a criteria - if we had a criteria. Knowing what we are doing and where would also be helpful to plan loadouts.

Do we want to be near water or no?
1 night or 2?
How far of a hike to get to the camp spot?
General area convenient for everyone?

I am heading up to Boscowan Feb 25 to scout out the area, the overnight would be March 3rd or 10th since my rest of month is booked, I couldn't get the "expert" but I am more than confident I can cover what he would have covered. I'll update as things go along.

I did an overnight this past weekend and it was nice not tent and just my pad and 20° bag and a water bottle filled with hot H2o

march 3 might work for me. i still need to get a few more things. my northface 20* bag didnt cut it last time out, so im going to try a thermal liner.

Boscowan works for me if you find a good place, not too far a drive.

also is this going to be a rambo survival weekend where we eat raw squirrel hearts and dance around the fire, or just an excuse to get away from cell phones and relax?

Last edited:
mo raw squirrel hearts bring your own food unless we decide otherwise, more of a how to survive in the woods if you get lost until you get rescued I'll leave TEOTWAWKI scenarios/training to someone more suited to such things.

I'll let you know if there are bear in the area then you can pack a 9mm but I fear the biggest thing we may encounter is an early rising bee

I'll let you know if there are bear in the area then you can pack a 9mm but I fear the biggest thing we may encounter is an early rising bee

no zombies? :D

so is the plan to build shelters? just trying to get an idea on what to be packing. ill just bring a ground tarp and maybe overhead tarp instead of a tent.

Plan is to build shelters but depending on what I find instead of building many shelter we may only build one, I'll brings some good wood for spindles for a bow drill fire and cover means of getting water but I would bring my own just because

Plan is to build shelters but depending on what I find instead of building many shelter we may only build one, I'll brings some good wood for spindles for a bow drill fire and cover means of getting water but I would bring my own just because

ok, you do that...ill bring matches hahaha. i had to build a friction fire in boy scouts, i was a hungry boy.

is there any good alternative for smartwool? that stuff is pricey. -looking for a midlayer top.
just go with fleece?

-just warmed up the card a little @ campmor. $15 fleece and some other stuff. i think i'm GTG.
thx!

I don't know about the warm part, I love my hammock as well but it is a summer shelter only IMHO, I know I can make it warmer but I am also adding weight and bulk

I'd be right at the ragged edge of it's limits... How *much* over 6' tall will it accommodate?

bingo - me too.

that big Hennessy looks nice. I wonder how well the underblanket works - looks kinda thin
http://hennessyhammock.com/media/C38/#content

I've seen thicker undreblankets but I can't image they pack too well.

I plan to try a hammock this summer but, I'm a 'front/side' sleeper so, I'm not sure I'd like it. I hear laying diagonal is the way to go.

Last edited:
i have been wanting to try a hammock too. my two concerns are

1. where does my dog sleep?
2. i worry he curved nature of the hammock will ruin my already trashed back.

My hennessey is my nap of choice when my multiple herniations are acting up. The design makes it so you are not "folded in the middle" but in fact I can roll on my side quite comfortably and my back is always happy in the morning. There is NO way I can sleep on the ground, or cot, or air mattress, and even unfamiliar beds like hotels can make me sore. My hammock is my saving grace.

Also, by just putting a regular ground pad under my bag in the hammock I am extremely warm. I have not tried the under padding yet but it is the same concept.

i have been wanting to try a hammock too. my two concerns are

1. where does my dog sleep?
2. i worry he curved nature of the hammock will ruin my already trashed back.

Back
Top Bottom