Need knife recommendation

So my husband is just getting into hunting. He has a compound bow. He does bring a knife (or two?) out with him just in case. So far, no luck. But I was wondering what would be a good knife or set of knives for cleaning his game. I know he went out for Turkey and will be going out for deer. Hopefully he will get a deer or two. So what do you guys recommend? Not looking to drop as much as I would on a gun but I want him to have a quality knife for the job at hand.

images

and a nice sharp folder is all he really needs. Oh also dont forget a little pocket knife to wittle things with when he gets bored sitting there ( do it all the time)

I have yet to find the perfect big game knife, I find field dressing I want a blade around 3" long and a stiff blade maybe 1/8" thick and a blade around 7/8" in width. I like the Mora's I also carry a schrade old
http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html
http://www2.knifecenter.com/kc_new/...Ndatarq=old timer&a=fixed&c=zytel&series=351&
I would like to try Knives of Alaska
http://www.knivesofalaska.com
but the price has me holding off

I have not tried the knife steve posted but have friends who like them

Also the Havalon knife is awesome, it has surgical steel blade that snaps in. Once it's dull throw it away and replace it with a new one, things are freaking sharp.

Also the Wyoming works good, once you cut to field dress you put the hook under the skin and yank towards the head. Works very well when i started hunting that was the first thing my dad gave me.

For field dressing I like a fixed blade. They tend to be stiffer and cleaning the knife after field dressing is MUCH easier (No inaccessible hinge areas, etc).
Like Boghog1 stated I like the Old Timer as well. Small, sharp, stiff, easy to sharpen.

Over the last few years I added a gut hook style knife to the pack as well.

Wow. Thanks for the quick responses guys. Nice ideas here. Maybe it's not as complex as I was making it initially. Looking to buy locally though since some F%$# has now compromised all our credit cards except 1 with a very low limit we have to use for our orthodontic billing every month.

Where in southern NH / Ma would you go to buy? (Between Burlington, MA and Manchester, NH)

Schrade Old Timer can be found just about anywhere, if for hunting only try and get one with an orange handle they disappear in the leaf litter otherwise. The Mora I have yet to find a place where they can be bought local if you find one please let me know.

IMO I feel it is al personal preference. Where as I prefer a fixed blade with a drop point, some guys I know use a folding Buck knife. Have you asked him what he likes? Al Longworth who is a custom knife maker in MA makes some great fixed blade pieces, along with randall, treeman etc.

The Grohmann D.H. Russell is my personal favorite:

It is reasonable and can be found for around $50.00.
I can typically dress 4 or 5 deer before it needs a touch up.
It feels great in my hand.
The elliptical blade is perfect.

no1big.jpg

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

I carry a buck folder on my belt that I use when I need a knife to cut something (other than a deer). My folder is 32 years old and Buck has a life time warranty on their blades. I broke the tip of the blade off and sent it back to Buck for replacement. I got it back two weeks later with a brand new blade.

I never carry a fixed knife on my belt. My fixed blade knife stays in my pack and is only used on deer. I keep my knives razor sharp and I have had them slice right through a thin sheath. I don't keep a fixed knife on my belt in case I fall and get stuck with my own knife. It is unlikely but it happens.

I don't like gut hooks as they really are not needed. Just use a couple of fingers inside the cavity and you are done.

The same for the butt out tool. One good fixed blade knife will do everything you need from opening up the cavity to releasing the anal canal. I see no need to carry extra tools around with me all day.

I do not like blades that are pointed as they poke holes in things that you don't want to poke holes in. I used a Schrade Sharp Finger for years and I poked myself more than once with the tip of that blade. Apparently I am a slow learner.

I do not like folders for dressing deer as the blade channel is a PIA to clean afterwards.

JMO, everyone is a little different.

Bob

The Grohmann D.H. Russell is my personal favorite:

It is reasonable and can be found for around $50.00.
I can typically dress 4 or 5 deer before it needs a touch up.
It feels great in my hand.
The elliptical blade is perfect.

no1big.jpg

http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/outdoor.html

I carry a buck folder on my belt that I use when I need a knife to cut something (other than a deer). My folder is 32 years old and Buck has a life time warranty on their blades. I broke the tip of the blade off and sent it back to Buck for replacement. I got it back two weeks later with a brand new blade.

I never carry a fixed knife on my belt. My fixed blade knife stays in my pack and is only used on deer. I keep my knives razor sharp and I have had them slice right through a thin sheath. I don't keep a fixed knife on my belt in case I fall and get stuck with my own knife. It is unlikely but it happens.

I don't like gut hooks as they really are not needed. Just use a couple of fingers inside the cavity and you are done.

The same for the butt out tool. One good fixed blade knife will do everything you need from opening up the cavity to releasing the anal canal. I see no need to carry extra tools around with me all day.

I do not like blades that are pointed as they poke holes in things that you don't want to poke holes in. I used a Schrade Sharp Finger for years and I poked myself more than once with the tip of that blade. Apparently I am a slow learner.

I do not like folders for dressing deer as the blade channel is a PIA to clean afterwards.

JMO, everyone is a little different.

Bob

Not to start a war, but I think it is virtually impossible to stick yourself, on your own knife if it is on your belt/hip. Just the way the blade hangs in itself I can't even think of a possibility of how the blade would even ever face you in a fall etc, let alone doubtful it would cut through its own sheeth on a fall.
I always carry mine on my side on a belt, and the only annoying thing is when it gets hung up on a chair in my blind or stand.

Not to start a war, but I think it is virtually impossible to stick yourself, on your own knife if it is on your belt/hip. Just the way the blade hangs in itself I can't even think of a possibility of how the blade would even ever face you in a fall etc, let alone doubtful it would cut through its own sheeth on a fall.
I always carry mine on my side on a belt, and the only annoying thing is when it gets hung up on a chair in my blind or stand.

I agree that it is virtually impossible.

I hunt alone often and from a treestand so for me the fixed knife stays in my pack.

Bob

Last edited:
Don't need a big knife to field dress a deer, smaller is better. I prefer a drop point, and this is just about perfect in my opinion: http://www.dozierknives.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62, but it's a custom with a 24 month wait.

Production version, but with a wood handle which is not my preference: http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Plus-Dozier-Arkansas-Traveler--13667
Pretty close and in stock: http://www.bladehq.com/item--Boker-Plus-Dozier--5967.
I agree. Smaller is way better. No more than a heavy 3" drop-point blade. Last year I had to gut out my neighbor's deer because he was late for work. I didn't bring a knife with me and all he had was a 8" boning knife. I thought I was going to cut both hands off at the wrist.

You definitely don't need a large knife. I've seen deer dressed out with one of these.

1354878001p

Personally, I like to have more to hold onto. But it worked just fine.

I recommend the Bark River Bravo Necker. If you don't elect for one of the handles, paracord wrap works nicely, and will save his life after TEOTWAWKI.

I don't think you need to go too crazy, unless you're really going for a presentation piece. A good hunting knife's just got to be durable, SHARP and hold its edge well. Size, weight, and blade design are personal preference things...

I like a traditional lockback folding knife with a drop point blade design, with a not too-large blade.

For a good value knife check out a Browning 111D with G10 grips. You can spend a shit-ton more for a "better quality" handmade knife but I believe the laws of diminishing returns applies. I seriously do not believe a $200+ knife does any better job field-dressing a deer than my $40 Browning.

Browning actually has a nice "knife finder" feature on their website, where you can pick the knife type (fixed or folder) blade type, anticipated use, price, etc. and it'll narrow down your choice. It's a good way to learn about the various knives and their uses. You can use the knowledge to compare other companies' stuff.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/knives/finder.asp

YMMV. Let us know what you end up with.

Last edited:
For all you "folding" freaks, check out the Griptillian mini by benchmade, perfect folder with drop point for use on game, they come very sharp, I use one as my EDC, but take it hunting as a backup too. Very durable blade which holds a nice edge, something that most "hunting" knives do not do.

I just picked up the swing blade last summer, and used it to clean a deer a couple of weeks ago. The blade is the right size, not to big, and one button swings the gut hook around. Get the one with the saw included so he can also clear his shooting lane.

http://www.cabelas.com/field-care-o...1&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=22549717391

Stick with the orange, easier to find when you drop it while cleaning game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom