Need help with MA laws re: Unattended Motor Vehicle

I have a current Nonresident Class A Unrestricted license. I carry in NH every day and occasionally transit MA, so that's why I have it.

Family obligations are bringing me into MA more frequently now, so I have the problem of driving to and parking at a "no firearms" location such as a hospital or courthouse.

Is your handgun "secured" if it is locked in a trunk, in a locked container, unloaded when you leave your car in a parking lot or on the street? I've read the MA laws over and over and I can't figure this out.

Thanks for any help you can give.

You can carry at hospitals in MA with a valid MA LTC. Not illegal, even if posted. Just keep it concealed!

As for car storage, IANAL, but believe best to unload your carry and store it in a lock box etc, out of sight inside your locked vehicle .

Unloaded and locked in a trunk is legal. Unloaded and locked in a case in the passenger compartment is legal. Unloaded and locked in a case in a locked trunk is better.

I have a small combination safe under the passenger seat of both of my vehicles. It has the cable on it that I strap around the base of the seat. Unload.....ammo goes in the locked center console......handgun goes in the safe.....lock it up.....slide it under the seat.

Thanks.
That's what I thought. The responses in the thread were making me wonder.

Bob
The unloaded thing in a vehicle when stored is a pain. Correct that unattended in a vehicle constitutes storage so most go by storage law which does not t chnically require unloading.....however.....it's in a vehicle which says under transport that if not in direct control it must be unloaded. I personally split the difference and unload then lock it up in my vehicle when I'm leaving it.

The unloaded thing in a vehicle when stored is a pain. Correct that unattended in a vehicle constitutes storage so most go by storage law which does not t chnically require unloading.....however.....it's in a vehicle which says under transport that if not in direct control it must be unloaded. I personally split the difference and unload then lock it up in my vehicle when I'm leaving it.

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the reply.

Bob

Once you park, you are bound by storage laws. Not transport. Read up on them.

I wouldn't store a gun in my car unless 1) I had a trunk with a remote release that could be disabled OR 2) I put it into a locked box that was screwed or tethered to the car.

Last edited:
Once you park, you are bound by storage laws. Not transport. Read up on them.

I wouldn't store a gun in my car unless 1) I had a trunk with a remote release that could be disabled 2) I put it into a locked box that was screwed or tethered to the car.

I assume you mean 1 or 2 here, not 1 and 2.

I keep a snap safe in the car for this. Unload, gun, both magazines, and the round from the chamber go into the safe, lock it up, and toss it in the trunk.

Unloading is a bitch at times though.

I suppose you should make sure not to get caught going through all these unloading and storing motions by either a camera or pedestrian, either. :-/

I keep a snap safe in the car for this. Unload, gun, both magazines, and the round from the chamber go into the safe, lock it up, and toss it in the trunk.

Unloading is a bitch at times though.
There is no reason to unload. Again, you are bound by storage laws once you stop the car. Not transport. Leave it loaded and continue doing what you are doing.

Best practice would be to leave the gun in its holster and put the entire holster in the snap safe. The less you administratively mess around with the gun the better. The chance of a ND is low. But the consequences could be dire. If the gun stays in the holster the chance of a ND is zero.

Personally, I carry concealed where there is no metal detector to go through. I arrive early at a courthouse and go through the storage procedure. Simple and safe.

The police at the Pittsfield courthouse like it that citizens carry, and are not afraid to tell you so. I walk in with my handgun unloaded and open . . . "Outstanding !" was their response.
The North Adams courthouse actually freaked the f out.
Western MA is a strange mix of people

Back
Top Bottom