• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Neck knife accident...

Andy in NH

NES Life Member
NES Member

I don't like neck knives from a comfort or practical sense.

Tried a few, didn't like it.

I wonder if he was using a leather sheath?

We weren't allowed to use leather sheathed knives during parachute operations as we might land on them and the knife could push through and cut the leather, causing a significant injury.

Our knife sheaths had to be hard shelled with two methods of retention.

It's not really a dupe, since the Kowloon thread is basically a megathread, but this incident's been discussed there at some length already.

I never understood neck knives.

It's not really a dupe, since the Kowloon thread is basically a megathread, but this incident's been discussed there at some length already.

I never understood neck knives.
Thank you for pointing that out.

I did a search for a few key words and nothing came up.

There's no reason for me to frequent that thread.

Thanks again.

Thank you for pointing that out.

I did a search for a few key words and nothing came up.

There's no reason for me to frequent that thread.

Thanks again.

It's a quirky little thread.

It's very difficult for me to see how a neck knife could result in a fatal wound based on an accidental fall with a man who wasn't blotto, even if it was only sketchily secured. I suppose breaking through the sheath would do it, but still: did the guy make no effort at all to break his fall?

Weird.

The only time I could see a neck knife being useful would be like wearing cold weather gear by a camp fire or something, but I am not a ninja or a Walmart security guard, so what do I know.

...Kenney had taken a bus from the South Shore to Saugus with family and friends to have dinner at Kowloon on Saturday...
I'm guessing there were probably witnesses? It sounds like he was among a group that rode in together?

Pretty horrific when you think about it. Trip and fall while your family and friends are boarding the bus to go home. And obviously if he died in the parking lot, he cut a major artery and bled out right there. There would be a lot of blood.
I feel for his family. Traumatizing.

It has been reported in the news, so I guess it's no secret now that the guy was on blood thinners because of multiple strokes he experienced around 5 years ago. That, by itself, explains a lot. Being on blood thinners, you can bleed out awfully fast from even a relatively minor injury.

Has anybody seen the photos of the "knife necklace" other than the two photos posted in the other thread (for which you couldn't really tell anything about what the "knife necklace" really was)?

Back
Top Bottom