• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Good all around knife for around $100?

Sometime between now and maybe Christmas I want to pick up a good all around hunting/survival/camp knife. I know really good knives cost more than $100 but that's my budget. I could possibly go a little over that but not too much. Doesn't have to be fancy, just functional, rugged and sharp.

Looking for:
Fixed blade of decent size, like 6-8".
Preferably with a hard sheath that can be carried upside down or sideways if need.
Would like to have it so the end (pommel?) can be used as a make shift hammer so full tang I guess? but that's not a must have.

I have a $50 Cabelas gift card I'd like to put towards it but I'm not sure about the ones they have. They had a new Buck knife that seems to fit the bill but it's made in China unlike most other Bucks so I dunno.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/BUCK-KNIVES-SELKIRK/2043236.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dbuck%2Bknoves%26CQ_st%3Db

There is always the good old Buck General 8" or Special 6". Classic, made in USA. Not quite what I am looking for but I wouldn't mind going that way if they are really the best for under $100.

Also considering the K-bar dog's head 7" blade or something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-1317-Utility-Fixed-Blade/dp/B00VJUS1II

https://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-1220-..._12?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3PQ36BE5NMB5EVS6BYRJ

Thoughts or suggestions?

Can't really recommend any specific model, but there should be many decent choices in that price range (nothing that's going to impress the knife-nuts though [wink] ). Definitely want a full-tang. Just my opinion - I'd stay away from Chinese stuff. Look around in the used market to save some $$.

Cabelas: Ontario Marine Combat (you already have $50 toward it - just tax and it is yours!) 1095 steel is basic and easy to sharpen. Personally, I would buy one of the Knives of Alaska in D2 - holds a good edge & rust resistant and not too bad to sharpen. You have $50 towards one so. :)

Amazon: Ka-bar Dog's Head or the other model is fine. 1095 steel so it is easy to sharpen & relatively tough.

Ka-bar BK2 Becket Companion is like a tank .... very thick blade steel & very tough knife (more survivalist IMHO ... very heavy!!)

I highly recommend the Gerber Strongarm. It's not I. The 6-8" blade range. It's just under 5". Plain edge. Great ergonomics rubberized handle, full tang, striking pommel at the base. Awesome kydex sheath that can be worn drop leg style, upside down, scout style (horizontal) or attached to Mille webbing. It also has multiple holes for lashing to anything with paracord. It gets great reviews all over YouTube and online articles. It's the best Gerber on the market by a long shot. It's a really great all around outdoors knife. Available in black or coyote tan. Made in USA.
84f9b0b5a80f65a42dc00ffc46c003b2.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/GERBER-STRONGARM-FIXED/2043146.uts

Last edited:
What he said below. Ontario or Ka-Bar Becker, that's your list of sub $100 camping/hunting utility knives - no frills, work blades.

Ka-Bar Becker BK7 Combat - at 7" that knife is pretty huge. I'd recommend the Campanion (really spelled like that) like suggested below. Weighs in right about the same as the BK7, but 5" in size and generally more useful.
Cabelas: Ontario Marine Combat (you already have $50 toward it - just tax and it is yours!) 1095 steel is basic and easy to sharpen. Personally, I would buy one of the Knives of Alaska in D2 - holds a good edge & rust resistant and not too bad to sharpen. You have $50 towards one so. :)

Amazon: Ka-bar Dog's Head or the other model is fine. 1095 steel so it is easy to sharpen & relatively tough.

Ka-bar BK2 Becket Companion is like a tank .... very thick blade steel & very tough knife (more survivalist IMHO ... very heavy!!)

Just get a plain ol' Ka-Bar.

Supplement with whatever cheap offshore tacticool sheath you desire.

ESEE hands down. I learned of these knives here on NES and now have two, soon to be more. ESEE-6 is what you after looking for, made in USA, indestructible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Absolutely the ESEE-6 is an excellent choice. Maybe a bit over $100 but worth it. A little cheaper but similar in style would be an Ontario RAT-7 series. Not as nice as the ESEE.

Don't buy the RAT knives. ESEE are much better and have a better warranty. RAT were ESEE until the owners of RAT left Ontario and started up shop with Rowen Mfg. a little more money but great warranty, great sheaths and great knives.

ESEE-6 is a great knife, but it's over $100. You can always get more/better by paying more. OP had a $100 budget - Ka-Bar and Ontario are the best bang for the buck for that kind of knife under $100.

(as an aside, I do have some Morakniv companions I toss into/hook onto packs, and I have beaten the snot out of one including batoning oak logs, but it really doesn't compare to the BK2 Campanion in terms of sheer utility for all I think it's a good solid knife and a stunning bargain often sold at under $10)

No worries about the steel rusting?

I'm not sure what they coat the blade with but its impervious to rust. If I let mine sit for more than 6 months dry then the sharp edge will develop surface rust. You can brush it off or two seconds with a stone and you're good to go. In the $100 range if you opt for a more stainless edge you'll loose hardness.

ESEE 3s and 4s pop up on Prime for ~100 bucks all the time. Buy one of those and be done.

Nah, just kind of take care of it and it is fine.

OP said:
Fixed blade of decent size, like 6-8".

ESEE-6s are about $120 now on Prime. Carl, if you're good with that price, the ESEE line are indeed great knives. The Ka-Bar BK line is, too, and in your price range.

Let us know what you get!

$109 now, how much lower they gonna drop?

I got my ESEE 4 on prime for $93 a year or 2 ago. It was one of those things where I didn't REALLY need it, but for the price I went for it. I have an ESEE 3 in my cart as I type this just waiting for the proper justification to order it. The 4 is a good size, but I want the smaller 3 for my tactical ninja gear.

I got my ESEE 4 on prime for $93 a year or 2 ago. It was one of those things where I didn't REALLY need it, but for the price I went for it. I have an ESEE 3 in my cart as I type this just waiting for the proper justification to order it. The 4 is a good size, but I want the smaller 3 for my tactical ninja gear.

Camel Camel Camel.

ESEE's are nice knives, a little more than $100 for a 6" knife.

Check out an SOG Force for just under $100 with a nice sheath.

Back
Top Bottom