Good all around knife for around $100?

Drive on. 440C from China.

440c is a fine blade steel. I'd be surprised if that knife is actually 440c.

That said, I wouldn't get one. It's made in China. It's a shady company that uses deceptive or intentionally false advertising. Many of those amazon reviews are clearly fake. (according to fakespot, 40% of 900 reviews for their products are fake). Based on that, stay away.

[party]IT'S A FALLKNIVEN![party]

6 months, 87 posts... Dude, I feel like you finally gave birth to a knife.... Good choice, tho!

[wink] Just razzing you. You'll get a lot of use out of it. Don't keep it pretty.

The razzing is deserved. I beat that horse to death, buried it then dug it up and beat it some more.

It wasn't just indecision though. It was also being responsible by catching up on some bills before spending a dime, trying not to waste money by overspending while also not going too cheap then being disappointed and wishing I had spent a little more. I used to waste money sometimes on impulse buys so trying to be better about that.

Mostly it was a lot of learning. I knew zero about different steels, didn't know certain types of handles were called scales, never heard of micarta, G-10 or Kraton for handle material. I had no clue what convex, hollow ground, etc edges were or a full flat grind vs scandi grind vs sabre grind, etc, etc. Not that I fully know that stuff now but I know a lot more than I did. I hope some of the info helps others in their decision making.

I spent some time on bladeforums.com too where I got some good advice but those guys spend A LOT of money on knives.

I spent more than I intended on the A1 but it is a knife that should last a lifetime and requires minimal care. I just need to learn how to sharpen that convex edge and get a decent set of sharpening tools for that. It's plenty sharp out of the box but it will get used and need sharpening eventually.

I got a Condor Bushlore for $35 shipped just for fun. Yeah, I know, once I busted the $100 budget I kept going. I like the Bushlore for a more traditional bushcraft knife. 1075 high carbon steel, gorgeous leather sheath probably worth $30 on it's own and nice walnut handles. That will be a nice camp knife to pair with an axe or tomahawk.

I also got a Rat 1 for edc but in Aus-8, not D2. I also got another friend a Rat 2 just like I did for my other buddy. The Rat 1 is big, just a little too big but it is very comfortable to use. It will do for edc for now but I may get something a little smaller but bigger than the Rat 2 eventually. The Rat 1 is perfect for working outside and day hikes where you want a decent size knife but don't need a fixed blade camp knife on your belt.

Back
Top Bottom